Am I Cool or Warm?

JanineDesiree

I just don't know, and I am getting mixed info about going off the skin tone. I'm a NW20.. I've been told that I'm cool... and that I'm warm.

I just want to start making sure I buy colors that will work for me, and not something I just think is pretty then look bad.

I know some things are labeled cool ro warm, but some not. So is there a list somewhere to help me.

xoxo
please and thanks

silverbelle282

i think that if you do a search using terms like 'undertones' that might help. i actually recently hauled for a wedding, and an MA tried an NW30 concealer under my eyes to cover dark circles, and i LOVE it. i was taken aback because i had been wearing NC42 concealer at the time, also recommended by another MA. honestly, it's a crapshoot and it could vary from different parts of your face. pick a day when you're not totally tired and stuff, and go to mac and ask them to help you try different stuff on if you can. good luck!
winks.gif

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbelle282
i think that if you do a search using terms like 'undertones' that might help. i actually recently hauled for a wedding, and an MA tried an NW30 concealer under my eyes to cover dark circles, and i LOVE it. i was taken aback because i had been wearing NC42 concealer at the time, also recommended by another MA. honestly, it's a crapshoot and it could vary from different parts of your face. pick a day when you're not totally tired and stuff, and go to mac and ask them to help you try different stuff on if you can. good luck!
winks.gif

the majority of people are an NW for concealer under the eyes. it doesn't matter if you are an NC or an NW. NW just covers dark undereye circles better. i'm an NC20 with an NW20 undereye concealer.

SparklingWaves

Undertones are one or the other. Put your hair in a headband and don't have on any make up. Now, apply on one cheek a true gold peach blush and on the other cheek a true blue pink blush. Which one looks better? Look at them in different lighting too.

Kitt3n

It is possible to have both undertones. I am warm (NW) in my T-zone and around my jawline I am a NC. A MA discovered this with trial and error when I first tried MAC foundation.

Kitt3n

Also, I tend to use the NW 20 foundation, and on rare occasion NC25. It can depend on the foundation type you are using.

Kuuipo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingWaves
When you have both, a neutral based foundation is best?

There are plenty of neutral toned people. They don't have too olive,too gold,too blue or too red undertones. Its just best to mstch your foundation at the jawline and buy concealor the same way. Too light or too yellow and you look like you live with sunglasses on and highlight what you want to hide. Concealor should match the majority of your skin yet be more opaque than foundation. Everyone doesn't need concealor,and everyone doesn't need foundation all over their face if they are fortunate enough. What is important is a great powder!(and what works foR one does not work for all. Powder can be as simple as plain cornstarch or as elaborate as Chinese opera makeup.0)

Shadow

I wish I could be of some help to you. I, too, was told I'm NW 20, but I really don't quite get what that means. I've tried various "warm" shades and "cool" shades and some work, some don't. I really don't see any obvious undertones. There's got to be a easier way ......

ruqayya33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitt3n
It is possible to have both undertones. I am warm (NW) in my T-zone and around my jawline I am a NC. A MA discovered this with trial and error when I first tried MAC foundation.

I once read in a makeup book that this often happens with women of color. They called it "masking." It basically means that one area of the face may be of a different shade than the rest of the face. I suppose it could also be the same with white women as well as undertones.

Kitt3n

The problem with matching the jawline for me is that my jawline is NC and my T zone is NW. The color of foundation I use depends on the type of foundation. For Studio Fix I use N5, Select Tint I use NW 20, Hyper Real I use NW 200, and for Select SPF 15 I use NC 25. I don't bother with using two different foundations to blend from jaw to T-zone although you could. I just blend from my nose to my jawline, more foundation in the T-zone, less as I work my way out. I don't need as much coverage outward anyways. Some days I only use concealer to cover dark circles and blemishes and dust with blot powder. I always set my liquid foundation with a powder. I typically use NW 15 with my foundation because NW20 is too dark and looks unnatural. For travel I use blot powder for touch ups.

ginger9

If you do a search in the search engine of Specktra you'll definitely find how to determine if you are warm or cool. It has to do with undertones, also if you look at the veins on the underside of your arm if it's bluish the tendency is towards cool and greenish is warm. Again, do the search it'll give you more indicators.

As a side note I am of warm colouring. C35 with yellow undertones and I am Asian. However, I would say I can wear both warm and cool colours. Probably even lean towards cool colours more as I find it "balances" me out more if you get my meaning. Imo, there is not fast rule as to what colours work best for you, the tones are a guideline but these day there are no rules in makeup, and that's a good thing
smiles.gif

ruqayya33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger9
If you do a search in the search engine of Specktra you'll definitely find how to determine if you are warm or cool. It has to do with undertones, also if you look at the veins on the underside of your arm if it's bluish the tendency is towards cool and greenish is warm. Again, do the search it'll give you more indicators.

As a side note I am of warm colouring. C35 with yellow undertones and I am Asian. However, I would say I can wear both warm and cool colours. Probably even lean towards cool colours more as I find it "balances" me out more if you get my meaning. Imo, there is not fast rule as to what colours work best for you, the tones are a guideline but these day there are no rules in makeup, and that's a good thing
smiles.gif

That guideline is only usefull if your veins are ONE color. I have veins that are green'ish and others that are more blue'ish- purple..... I often just have to guess and then match bases and powders on my jawline. (I do a "quick test" on my hand/arm first to narrow it down to a few shades. I'm only slightly darker on my hand/arm than my face.)

xing

yes. totally agree with ^.

mine are this bluish grennish colour. it's almost in between and i cant decide. somedays they are more green, other days they are more blue and oftentimes, i have green on one hand and blue on the other or even 2 colours on one hand. but i do find myself slightly yellow though.

Latest posts