Am I doing something wrong with eyeshadow?

marvlgrl2

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and have searched for this issue but can't seem to find it. I've just started getting into makeup, specifically eyemakeup, but have been having a problem of either a) getting eyeshadow on my lashes so that even when I put mascara on it still looks "lightly powdered" and b) when I do put my mascara on I end up with little flecks of mascara on my lid. I tilt my head back and try to keep my eye half closed to avoid this but maybe there's another way? I'm using all MAC paint and eyeshadow and BadGal lash (haven't gotten a chance to try any MAC mascaras).

Thank you SO much for any advice!

TISH1124

Try wetting your brush...I spray mine with Studio Fix or Charged Water to prevent all the fall out

TISH1124

Also, Plain water works as well...I just like the extra pop you get with the SF+ or the Charged Water

TamiChoi

I either: wet the brush with water/studio fix before applying, or use the MAC prep + prime eye in medium before applying the pigment or e/s. HTH!

Silveretta

I look down and hold a mirror at chin level so I am looking down at it and put my mascara on. I dunno if that makes any sense? That way I my lashes do not touch my lids.If I look straight into a mirror when its directly in front of me, I sometimes get this problem.

I actually got this tip from Leesha AKA xsparkage on you tube and found it work wonderfully :] hopes that makes sense.

Also the tip about the brush being slighty sprayed with fix plus or something like it works OR make sure to tap off excess e/s/pigment from the brush. Also the brush type you use makes a HUGE difference
smiles.gif

Silveretta

I look down and hold a mirror at chin level so I am looking down at it and put my mascara on. I dunno if that makes any sense? That way I my lashes do not touch my lids.If I look straight into a mirror when its directly in front of me, I sometimes get this problem.

I actually got this tip from Leesha AKA xsparkage on you tube and found it work wonderfully :] hopes that makes sense.

Also the tip about the brush being slighty sprayed with fix plus or something like it works OR make sure to tap off excess e/s/pigment from the brush. Also the brush type you use makes a HUGE difference
smiles.gif

Kiss and Makeup

I have the same problems with mascara getting on my eyelids. I have to put the mirror around my mouth and tip my head waaaay back. I also find that, even if I do this, if I push too hard with the mascara wand I'll get the same problem.

About the eyeshadow on your mascara..do you put your mascara on first? If you do, I'd recommend doing it last. Also, do you wiggle the mascara wand? I find that if I do this, it'll coat the bottom AND top of my lashes and it'll cover any fall out. I also prevent fallout by patting on my eyeshadows instead of wiping it on.

marvlgrl2

Great suggestions, thank you everyone. I'll give wiggling the mascara brush another try. I did it once and it got even more mascara on my lid cause the BadGal wand is SO large! Maybe I need to work on my wiggle...

RoseyPosey

EVERYTIME i put my mascara on, i get it on my eyelids. IT annoys the hell out of me!

I take a tissue or paper towel and hold it behind my lashes then put my mascara on. This way, ican be as messy as i want, and it only gets on my tissue and not my eye lid.

you can also buy something that you do the same with. they are usually plastic.

macaholic2912

I always had that problem when i used bad gal.
I usually just put the mascara on before the eyeshadow so I can wipe away the smudges

Amaranth

I should let you know that MAC eyeshadows are not designed to be used wet. You can ruin them forever (they can get really hard) if you get moisture inside of them, so if you want to use them wet, you should scrape a little onto a tissue or something and use it from there. That way you don't get moisture in the eyeshadow. The only ones you can use wet safely are the Mineralize eyeshadows, because they're baked for 24 hours and made out of some different ingredients.

Also, I find that sometimes the tops of my lashes don't get mascara on them either, so I do like one of the other posters said...put a little on top and then come from underneath. I normally coat the top first and then apply it from the bottom as usual, that way I don't have downward turned lashes.

FiestyFemme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss and Makeup
Also, do you wiggle the mascara wand? I find that if I do this, it'll coat the bottom AND top of my lashes and it'll cover any fall out. I also prevent fallout by patting on my eyeshadows instead of wiping it on.

iagree.gif

I do the mirror trick that's already been mentioned for applying mascara, and sometimes I still manage to get mascara on my skin. One thing I've learned is to let the mascara dry, then take a tissue and very lightly rub over the spot. It usually brings it right up without disturbing my eye makeup. If for some reason my eye makeup gets a little displaced in that spot, it just takes a sec to apply a little more. This is the best thing I've found so far! Those big mascara wands are probably the problem... but I want my big lashes!
yes.gif

Latest posts