Am I too old to become a MUA?

makeupbysarab

So, the thing is, I "discover" like makeup 2 years ago because in Portugal(there's where I a from) the people don't really care about makeup. I emmigrate to Germany, and here was like a "open eyes". I "discovered" makeup, and since then I've bein buying pretty much only makeup. I train in me and already do the makeup to some friends. Now, my dream is just become a MUA and now come the problems:
-I don't speak German very well, but for now I cannot go to Portugal or other country.
-I am already 22 years, and I am afraid that now I'm starting to late.
-For what I read here, a makeup curse is a waste of money, and also I cannot make one here because of the language. But in Portugal the schools are not very good. Like for exemple, a makeup artist curse in 2 weeks!!! And Portugal don't consider a MUA a "real" profession.

I don't know what to do because really I want to become one MUA and I don't see how!!!!

User38

The first mistake anyone ever makes is to put limitations on what you can do.. don't do that to yourself. Just go on and start
smiles.gif

and, good luck!

makeupbysarab

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerGreyness
The first mistake anyone ever makes is to put limitations on what you can do.. don't do that to yourself. Just go on and start
smiles.gif

and, good luck!

The problem is that I don't know where to start because here I don't speak perfect, and so, I cannot do nothing here!!!! And for about a year I cannot go to another place.

Boasorte

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeupbysarab
So, the thing is, I "discover" like makeup 2 years ago because in Portugal(there's where I a from) the people don't really care about makeup. I emmigrate to Germany, and here was like a "open eyes". I "discovered" makeup, and since then I've bein buying pretty much only makeup. I train in me and already do the makeup to some friends. Now, my dream is just become a MUA and now come the problems:
-I don't speak German very well, but for now I cannot go to Portugal or other country.
-I am already 22 years, and I am afraid that now I'm starting to late.
-For what I read here, a makeup curse is a waste of money, and also I cannot make one here because of the language. But in Portugal the schools are not very good. Like for exemple, a makeup artist curse in 2 weeks!!! And Portugal don't consider a MUA a "real" profession.

I don't know what to do because really I want to become one MUA and I don't see how!!!!

Amiga, voce so tem 22 anos. That is NOT too old. Eu tenho 20 anos e sou freelace makeup artis e eu nao fui ao escola a aprende como aplicar maquiagem.
Por agora, voce presico de practicar, eu nao conheco os leis em Germany, but if certificate is not nessecary, I wouldn't do it. Mas na Alemanha, as pessoas falam ingles, nao e?

makeupbysarab

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWestchesterNY
Amiga, voce so tem 22 anos. That is NOT too old. Eu tenho 20 anos e sou freelace makeup artis e eu nao fui ao escola a aprende como aplicar maquiagem.
Por agora, voce presico de practicar, eu nao conheco os leis em Germany, but if certificate is not nessecary, I wouldn't do it. Mas na Alemanha, as pessoas falam ingles, nao e?

Falam pouco ingles, eles aqui ainda sao muito racistas, ainda ha muita gente a pensar como o Hitler. La esta, voce tem 20 e já faz algo, eu tenho 22 e so tenho umas nocoes....

Boasorte

Quote:
Falam pouco ingles, eles aqui ainda sao muito racistas, ainda ha muita gente a pensar como o Hitler. La esta, voce tem 20 e já faz algo, eu tenho 22 e so tenho umas nocoes....

Racistas! Que pena. Mas em todos as lugares existem racistas, even here in America. Voce conhece um amigo que pode fala alemao? Eu entendo sobre a lingua. Aqui, nao pode obter um novo emprego porque nao falo outro idioma (Meu portugues nao bom, entao eu so ler e escrever porque nao pode falar ou compreender.)
Voce esta na escola? Eu acho que voce pode fazer maquiagem como a side job. Keep doing friends and family's makeup, and tell them to tell other people( but make sure you let those other people know que voce nao fala alemao muito bem)

Por quanto tempo voce ficar em Alemanho? Talvez vai outro pais? Brasil, EUA,Espana, England....??

makeupbysarab

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWestchesterNY
Racistas! Que pena. Mas em todos as lugares existem racistas, even here in America. Voce conhece um amigo que pode fala alemao? Eu entendo sobre a lingua. Aqui, nao pode obter um novo emprego porque nao falo outro idioma (Meu portugues nao bom, entao eu so ler e escrever porque nao pode falar ou compreender.)
Voce esta na escola? Eu acho que voce pode fazer maquiagem como a side job. Keep doing friends and family's makeup, and tell them to tell other people( but make sure you let those other people know que voce nao fala alemao muito bem)

Por quanto tempo voce ficar em Alemanho? Talvez vai outro pais? Brasil, EUA,Espana, England....??

(Eu sei fiz muito erros , o meu portugues nao perfeito)
winks.gif

Eu bem que gostaria ir para a England ou Eua mas nao conheco ninguem e nao posso ir assim a maluca. Nao, eu tenho um trabalho. È o que eu vou fazendo, dizendo que nao falo muito alemao e estudando alemao.

s_lost

Sara, you're very young! How can you think that you don't have options at 22? It's unthinkable.

Like MsManchesterNY said, there is racism everywhere. But strange thing, I didn't feel it here. Of course there is extreme cases and we live in different cities, but is sad when you said that a lot of people here think just like Hitler... it's a huge stigma for the German people, that learned a lot from the past.

And about makeup here, is bizarre, because I don't see people much into makeup, it was a shock for me at first. Where I came from, people are much more concerned about beauty.

Did you already thought about living in Brazil? You can speack the language and there is a huge market for makeup artists, with several courses.

bellaxo812

Eu tenho 26 anos, e eu sempre gostava de maquiagem, mas eu sempre pensava k era uma coisa muito complicada. Eu so comecei a aprender e a fazer freelance quando eu tinha 24 anos. Eu sei k coisas sao diferente na Europa k de EUA, mas NIGUEM e muito velha/velho para comecar uma carreira em maquiagem. Tu so tems 22 anos, ainda es muito nova sua loca!! lol

xmakeupfanaticx

Quote:
smiles.gif

and, good luck!

I agree. And you are so young! If you want to get into makeup then of course you can do it. Good luck

kdolll

Quote:
smiles.gif

and, good luck!

Well said! 2nd this completely. Go for your dreams!
smiles.gif

syrene78

There is no age to accomplish your dreams, whatever they are. And you shoudn't care about what other people think or say. These are your dreams and to become true you sometimes need to close your ears and be selfish! This will boost your ego and your career!
winks.gif

makeupbysarab

to s_lost, I already have people in my work that said to me: If Hitler was alive you won't be here. It was like
shockt.gif
. And the reason that I don't go for another country is because, I cannot just show up in one day, find a job and a house. I don't know nobody(family or friends) in anothers countries. I don't know about your city but the one I live, I don't see basically a person without makeup.

to all, It's just that I see makeup artist with 18 years already working in the area and I'm like, I am to old, when I have learned to do the things right I eill be like 30(lol). And I think, if that people don't will hire me without course and with my age. The course here is like 13,500 € it's like 16190 USD Dollars. And of couse that I don't have the money, I will have to save forever for paying and if I will do the course I have to know how to speak perfect German. THANK YOU ALL FOR THE SUPPORT!!!!!!!!!!
winkiss.gif

BEA2LS

i am 27 and i am going to start this fall getting into make-up. you are never too old to do anything.
there is racism everywhere but i am sorry you are facing it now
ssad.gif

s_lost

Well, I'll not discuss the relation with the country, because we obviously have different experiences. As I said before, there is extreme cases anywhere, it depends on which cultural/intellectual level the people with whom you dialogue have. But if I was unhappy in a foreign country, suffering this kind of prejudice, I would come back to where I'm happy. Life is too short to be miserable.

It's strange, because I live in Berlin, the capital, and they're very few people with makeup on the streets. I already lived in France and it's way different, as in my hometown.

But the important thing is, if somebody has a dream, and intend to realize this dream, he/she must work for it. Things aren't given, most of the time we need to fight for them.

It looks like you have this dream, but already gave it up. I know that it's not easy to start over, but you're only 22. The make-up lessons are expensive? You can slowly save and in the meantime learn the language, or do this someplace else. It's not like you want to be an olympic gymnast, you can start not matter how old you are
winkiss.gif

Modmom

Aw sweetie, don't let your very young age be the reason you don't follow your dreams. I'm 40 and I'm going back to school this summer to get my esthetician and makeup artistry certificates.

Honestly, I'm shocked at the cost of the course! Here, you can take a 4 day course for $1400, become totally certified, and that includes a professional kit to get you started.

You know what you should do? Become one amazing makeup artist and open your own school. Teach others and share the dream with them.

Good luck to you!

User38

I started my business when I was 38
greengrin.gif

It took being a widow, being alone and feeling like I was drifting downwards.. oh, I had no training in MU but a degree in Business Administration and Law.. yea! However, I had determination and made a decision to just do it and I did. I work with photographers/publicists, and do advising to major color companies
smiles.gif
It has been a hell of a ride -- which is what life is. So, just breathe in, and jump and enjoy!!

User38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modmom
Aw sweetie, don't let your very young age be the reason you don't follow your dreams. I'm 40 and I'm going back to school this summer to get my esthetician and makeup artistry certificates.

Honestly, I'm shocked at the cost of the course! Here, you can take a 4 day course for $1400, become totally certified, and that includes a professional kit to get you started.

You know what you should do? Become one amazing makeup artist and open your own school. Teach others and share the dream with them.

Good luck to you!

th_DANCE.gif
choochoo.gif
Good for you!! Congrats and keep it coming!
winkiss.gif

makeupbysarab

I think that I already give up because I don't know where to turn. And I see the time pass and I don't see any progress in my carrer. Here the course is 1 year long and you learn basically everything, since special efects, body painting and other problem is that I have to move to another city to make the course.
nope.gif

spunky

Quote:
I think that I already give up because I don't know where to turn. And I see the time pass and I don't see any progress in my carrer. Here the course is 1 year long and you learn basically everything, since special efects, body painting and other problem is that I have to move to another city to make the course.
nope.gif

don't give up! i'm in the EXACT same position as you, i'm 22 and i've just moved city to do a 2 year course in make up, prosthetics, body painting and hair styling.

what i've noticed is that younger girls, like the 18 year old you've mentioned, aren't taken seriously because in general they are too young and inexperienced. obviously there are exceptions, but on my course i noticed that most of the girls in my interview were in their early-mid twenties.

perhaps you need to take a year and save up the money for the course, and in that year you'll get so much better at german seeing as you're living there. don't be discouraged!