Anxiety/Depression

SagMaria

Does anyone else here suffer with the combo? I have struggled with anxiety for I don't know how long. I ALWAYS worry, always feel panicked, I worry that people I care about will die, or something bad will happen or I will be alone. Depression isn't faring well since the time change either or the rainy weather we are having here. I just feel constantly down and blah...
thmbdn.gif

Just wondering what is working for you in terms of therapy or what you're doing for yourself or if you have read any good self-help books :wonder:

MxAxC-_ATTACK

yes,everything,exactly as you described, I go thru it all, the constant worrying,anxiety,and it seems to be the worst at Night! uugghh I dread going to bed at night because I know I am going to lay there, thinking about a ton of stuff and I will get all worried, and anxious,, its awful.

During the day its easy for me to keep myself busy, I've taken up some hobbies, I make beads, make jewelry, assortments of things when I am not working. I also like to exercise which helps A lot! also , I've layed off the junkfood (ok, i occasionally splurge on fries.. uugh) which makes me feel better in general.
A lot of people say "read a book" but that doesn't work for me because I get distracted, I will skim thru the lines, not paying attention and just thinking about stuff that bothers me.

Juneplum

oh honey
th_cheerup.gif
one of my best friends suffers from both anxiety and depression... her doctor put her on lexapro and she's been doing really well... they recently upped her dosage as recently shef ound out her 4 yr old has cancer but she's gotten great results with the lexapro. have you talked to your doctor? i know she goes to therapy also and between that and the lexapro it's REALLY helped her...

SparklingWaves

I have tried meditation, acupunture, therapy, herbs, vit., diet, and exercise. Nothing worked. I had to turn to medication. Bingo it helps, but it's not a 100% cure.

jenii

I suffer with that combo as well. Some days are better, some are worse, most are just blah.

Therapy works, but I can't afford it these days, so I don't do it.

I just hang out with my twin brother. His presence tends to soothe me, but he also makes me laugh by hug-attacking me.

karen diggins

I also suffer from the same combo. I used to think that everyone was mad at me. I would drive my friends or boyfriends crazy because I would call way to much. about 6 years ago I hit bottom and went to see a dr. he put me on meds and I went to therpy. I am still on meds and going to therpy but the meds have helped allot.

purrtykitty

yup, me too...and add to that mild ocd and ednos. the first three are self-diagnosed...but my husband will agree with me that i'm batshit crazy (at least i'm not at britney spears' level, hehe).

anyway, i'm not on any meds (although i used to take zoloft when i was a teen) and i've learned to live with my up and down days, as i would prefer not to take any more drugs (other than the ones controlling my asthma). i've noticed that since i've been eating better and exercising (especially doing yoga) that i'm not having as many down days, or at least they're not severe.

but don't let my opinion sway you. if you feel you need medication to get you through each day, then by all means go to a doctor and get some medication. there are wonderful drugs out there. but if you haven't adjusted your diet and/or tried exercise, you might try that first. who knows, it might just work for you. good luck, hun.
winkiss.gif

SagMaria

I am currently on medication but it really doesn't seem to be working, especially for my anxiety, I'm on celexa and wellbutrin
cry.gif
I'd really like to take a more holistic approach but I'm thinking I need a to change my medication....

Joss

I'm on Efexor for 1 year now and its help very for my anxiety.
Also try to do yoga and some breathing exercises. I know that it is difficult to get through, but with practice you can control your emotions more than without J

jenii

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagMaria
I am currently on medication but it really doesn't seem to be working, especially for my anxiety, I'm on celexa and wellbutrin
cry.gif
I'd really like to take a more holistic approach but I'm thinking I need a to change my medication....

They have you on two meds at the same time?!
shockt.gif

Tell your doctor you want something else. Effexor was the one I used to take that gave me the least side effects, and helped with anxiety a bit.

But, speaking from experience, DON'T let them put you on Cymbalta. That stuff is horrible.

Dreamergirl3

I hate my anxiety/depression. Most of the time, I'm depressed because I'm mad at myself for being so anxious all the time! It's a sucky cycle
ssad.gif

Therapy has helped and though I'm not really suggesting this (please don't jump all over me, this is what helped me personally), so did medical marijuana. I'm sticking to that because prescription drugs scare the crap out of me, unless I absolutely have to take them. After therapy I started reading self help books, but you really have to sift through to find ones that work for you...don't buy one best seller and force yourself to do it if it feels wrong, look around!

In my case, I feel my anxiety and depression are 'all in my head' as you'd say...once I start to feel I'm in control and conscious of my body as well as my emotions, it tends to melt away. Like others have said, perhaps try Yoga. It's remarkable how much yoga has helped me, especially since stress really effects the body and I find yoga relieves all of my tension, while helping my mind completely relax and be worry free.

SagMaria

Any books you would recommend...?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamergirl3
I hate my anxiety/depression. Most of the time, I'm depressed because I'm mad at myself for being so anxious all the time! It's a sucky cycle
ssad.gif

Therapy has helped and though I'm not really suggesting this (please don't jump all over me, this is what helped me personally), so did medical marijuana. I'm sticking to that because prescription drugs scare the crap out of me, unless I absolutely have to take them. After therapy I started reading self help books, but you really have to sift through to find ones that work for you...don't buy one best seller and force yourself to do it if it feels wrong, look around!

In my case, I feel my anxiety and depression are 'all in my head' as you'd say...once I start to feel I'm in control and conscious of my body as well as my emotions, it tends to melt away. Like others have said, perhaps try Yoga. It's remarkable how much yoga has helped me, especially since stress really effects the body and I find yoga relieves all of my tension, while helping my mind completely relax and be worry free.

SagMaria

Yes, they are supposed to work together... but I think I've grown immune to the benefits of them now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenii
They have you on two meds at the same time?!
shockt.gif

Tell your doctor you want something else. Effexor was the one I used to take that gave me the least side effects, and helped with anxiety a bit.

But, speaking from experience, DON'T let them put you on Cymbalta. That stuff is horrible.

Madam E

I too have struggled with this. Stress is a big trigger for me. A few years ago I experienced some major family crises, one after the other it seems, and it got so bad I had to take a few months off work.

I must say that cognitive behavioral therapy was REALLY helpful! I went to therapy for several months, about once every week or 2 (I stopped about a year and a half ago since I'be been feeling a lot better). Now I know how to "process" my feelings of anxiety. Basically this therapy teaches you that worried/anxious thoughts cause feelings of anxiety, so by changing the way you think, you change the way you feel! I'm so glad I tried it - I would recommend anyone with anxiety struggles to give it a try.

My spiritual beliefs also really help, this includes meditation/prayer.

I'm also on Wellbutrin. The benefits to this particular drug include that it doesn't really affect your libido
winkiss.gif
whereas most anti-depressants do. I also tried Celexa many years ago and I felt like a zombie. I must emphasize though that not everyone experiences the same effects from these meds. I wish I didn't have to be on medication but I'm sticking with it for now, and I am doing SO much better in general, thanks to therapy and medication!
th_DANCE.gif

almmaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneplum
oh honey
th_cheerup.gif
one of my best friends suffers from both anxiety and depression... her doctor put her on lexapro and she's been doing really well... they recently upped her dosage as recently shef ound out her 4 yr old has cancer but she's gotten great results with the lexapro. have you talked to your doctor? i know she goes to therapy also and between that and the lexapro it's REALLY helped her...

I too was on Lexapro but my ins wouldnt cover it and my doc had been giving me samples for a long time already so I guess he got tired LOL so now I am on Celexa and he just increased the dosage because I was not well. Hopefully this new dose will help. BTW I suffer from depression. Lexapro helped me alot thank God. Just my 2 cents.

~Valerie~

I suffer from this combo also, and I hate to say it but most people end up needing to go on some sort of medication to help balance things out. The difficult part is working with your psychiatrist to find a medication that helps both your anxiety AND depression - typically most meds I tried would help one MUCH more than the other, even in high doses. Eventually I was put on Effexor and for me, this (+ therapy) was the miracle drug. Effexor tends to work well on anxiety and depression at higher doses. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.