Anxiety (lengthy post)

Sanayhs

I have been dealing with anxiety and depression problems for most of my life, but they really hit around puberty (age eleven). They have only gotten continually worse year by year since then (I'm twenty-one now). Around the time I turned nineteen, I started having panic attacks upon occasion; sometimes triggered by stress, sometimes completely out of the blue. Recently, I have been under a great deal of stress from pretty much every single aspect of my life.

Within the past week, I basically spent three solid days in one long panic attack. I finally called my doctor's after hours line and got in touch with the on call doctor, who prescribed me low dose ativan/lorazepam and arranged for the pharmacy to deliver to my house. It wasn't enough, and I had to go in to the local hospital's emergency room where they gave me a higher dose, had a doctor check me out and had the psychiatric nurse chat with me at length. She put through a referral for me to a local clinic so I can hopefully talk to a psychologist at some point without going broke, as well as writing a note saying that I was in the ER. Everyone ordered me to see my regular doctor ASAP, plus I was instructed to stay home for a couple of days to try to calm down.

I've now seen my doctor, and she's upped my prescription of citalopram/celexa from 40mg daily to 60mg daily. I'll be checking back in next week.

Right now, I'm doing ok, but I'm already feeling the knots well up in my stomach at the thought of returning to work tomorrow. Aside from social interaction, here's why:

I skipped work on Saturday. I didn't go, didn't call, nothing. I was hyperventilating, sobbing, and completely incapacitated by sheer panic. They called, and my boyfriend (who had finally cabbed over in the wee hours of the morning to a hysterical me) talked to them; they were pissed that I wouldn't talk to them and had not properly followed the procedure for calling in sick.

The next day, bottle of ativan in hand, I went in. They sat me down and lectured me on proper procedure and said that if I failed to follow procedure again, I am done. I tried to explain to them what happened and that it simply hadn't been possible for me to call them as I should have, but they brushed it off and said that you know when you get up in the morning if you aren't feeling well. This is simply not always true, but Saturday morning I had known - I woke up and immediately started panicking. Hence the inability to call them at any point. When my boyfriend suggested I call work I basically screamed in terror at the thought.

I understand that if you have no comprehension of anxiety, this may sound ridiculous and somewhat insane. It's really not something I can control, though, and for me this is reality.

Later in the day on Sunday while I was at work, I missed a bathtub (I clean hotel rooms these days). My manager came to me and said that she understood I was having an off day since I hadn't been feeling well the prior day, but it was simply unacceptable to miss a bathtub, and so on. Given the tone and wording, she made me feel like I had caused all this trouble over a tummy ache or something equally stupid. Now, I know this isn't true, but it's explicitly clear that my manager and supervisor have absolutely no comprehension of anxiety. Even though I kept popping ativan, I simply could not calm down, but I pushed through my work anyway. I'm not the kind of girl to do a poor job if I can help it. Hell, I never called in sick ONCE to my previous job when I had mono (oops). Well, on Sunday I'm supposed to be off by six, six thirty at the absolute latest. I had to be somewhere to get the keys to my new place (I moved Monday) for seven o'clock. I hurried through my last couple of rooms, put away my things and rushed out the door to meet my boyfriend and his mother, who had been waiting about twenty minutes to pick me up.

I receive a call on my cell phone about five minutes later from my furious manager, saying I didn't take out my garbage (ok, I forgot) and that I didn't finish my rooms (I thought I had), and how unfair that was and now someone else would have to do it, et cetera. She concluded by saying she would talk to me in the morning about it. Needless to say, I didn't go the next morning. I called around midnight that night and said I wouldn't be in the next day. If ten hours notice wasn't enough for her, too damn bad. I haven't heard from her since. Furthermore, I continued to be in a state of panic for the entire time I was meeting with my landlord.

The new place had some problems, too. They had burst a pipe trying to replace the kitchen sink, and so there is no usable kitchen. She thought I was upset over that, but I could hardly explain why. My boyfriend simply kept hugging me.

I find it absolutely infuriating and frustrating that anxiety is far too often simply not recognized as a legitimate medical problem, nor are other disorders that are largely mental or emotional based. Just because I do not necessarily appear to be unwell externally does not mean that I am fine (this wasn't even the case, as my face was paper white and around my eyes was a brilliant shade of red all that day, nevermind the fact that I kept breaking down all day). I understand that things like anxiety are more difficult to grasp than the flu, as they are simply not the sort of thing to happen to everyone.

It's not totally uncommon, though, either, and that's part of what upsets me so much about this. Not only am I concerned for my own sake about having to deal with this and simultaneously worry that it will unjustly cause me to lose my job (for, when I am ok, which I usually present as the normal case, I do a good job), but I also think about the impact of this on other people. I can't help but wonder how many other people out there are having problems like this? Perhaps not exactly like my situation, certainly, but having a problem that may or may not have a physical basis, and being faced with a vast lack of understanding as such.

Anxiety is hardly a super fun thing to deal with, and is not uncommon. Another very widely spread thing is depression, but I've found that to be more generally accepted as more people I've encountered have had personal experience via themselves or someone near and dear with its debilitating effects. Sometimes, though, there's simply no getting the point across. It makes a difficult situation all the worse. I've had good luck with finding understanding individuals in complicated scenarios before, but my manager and supervisor have simply reminded me how unforgiving so many people are.

Any thoughts?

M.A.C. head.

I've been suffering from those things plus more since I was a child, but I can't seek medical attention and I hate it. I understand your pain and you frustration, I really truly do.

I'm not sure what you should do about your work situation. Maybe your Dr can talk to your manager and explain to her what's going on and ask him/her to be more understanding and patient. It's unlawful to mistreat someone or fire them because of a disability, and anxiety and depression and most definitely disabilities, emotional ones anyway.

I wish you the very best, and please seek all the help you can get and keep your loved ones close.

Sanayhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.C. head.
I've been suffering from those things plus more since I was a child, but I can't seek medical attention and I hate it. I understand your pain and you frustration, I really truly do.

I'm not sure what you should do about your work situation. Maybe your Dr can talk to your manager and explain to her what's going on and ask him/her to be more understanding and patient. It's unlawful to mistreat someone or fire them because of a disability, and anxiety and depression and most definitely disabilities, emotional ones anyway.

I wish you the very best, and please seek all the help you can get and keep your loved ones close.

It literally took me years to work up the courage to seek help - I didn't talk to anyone about it until about a year ago. Even this weekend I would not have sought medical attention had my loved ones not pretty much forced me to call and dragged me to the ER. As for work, I have notes saying I've had medical stuff going on and sincerely hope that they'll accept those and back off. I appreciate your words very much.

I truly hope that some day you can find a way to seek medical attention and find some relief. It has taken me a very long time (I literally spent years doing essentially nothing but lay in bed staring into space), but the difference made in the past year has been tremendous. It has also given me the boost I needed to start looking into help for other medical problems I have (I'm currently on seven prescriptions, not counting the short run of ativan, and am still trying to find the right balance of everything to make my body function more like a healthy one).

If you ever want someone else to talk to who understands these things, feel free to give me a shout. Short of medical help, talking to others suffering from these disabilities is one of the best bits of assistance I've found.

User93

I feel your pain, i've been having anxiety attacks aswell lately, stress attacks, panic attacks.I feel depressed and worried lately, i am taking some relaxing (?) stuff but it doesnt help much.

What i wanted to say, that YES you feel bad. But your job doesnt give a damn. And thats their complete right. Your company, no matter what it is, needs a work done. Needs the room cleaned, the garbage taken out. If its not, there gonna be angry customers. Or a deal will fail. Or the company will lose money. No matter what, but thats something they care about more, and once again, thats their right.

If you gonna feel bad every time your job doesnt give a damn, you will be stressed 24/7. And thats something everyone goes through. I dont know how is it in USA, guess the same, but here you simply cant skip job for nothing. Millions of people go through this, its not only about anxiety or stress. I had to work 3 days at the reception dek on an exposition, and damn, i had an awful cold. I couldnt breath with nose, wy voice was awful, i had a fever. Still, i knew i simple gotta go there or they will kick my ass so bad. I mean, i wont get the job again. Job = Money. Money = Good.

For a very long time my Mom couldnt miss any day at work, and she was raising a little clumsy me. Lots of people go through this. You shouldnt let this make you feel down. Thats just the way it is. And you shouldnt let anxiety affect your life that bad. I know how difficult is that. A few days ago after i sleepless night in tears i was walking into the subway, there was a crowd, and suddenly i felt trapped, scared, i wanted to leave and ust run home, screw college, screw everything. Still, this moments you gotta take a deep breath in, and tell yourself everything is ok. That you do what you have to do. I always have some pills in my wallet, damn, i wish you had them in US! They are extremely cheap, 6 of them for like.. 30 cents? They are good if your hear hurts, or you're in panic, or ready to faint - they widen the vessels. Also, maybe you can carry a mint gum, mineral water, some wet face wipes to wipe neck around, this helps me. Every time tou give up againt this attacks and stay at home, cancel plans etc, they are only getting stronger. Dont let anything ever affect your life, exect yourself. (i wish i was that smart when it comes to me being an emo, but anyways).

Best regards && hugs

M.A.C. head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanayhs
It literally took me years to work up the courage to seek help - I didn't talk to anyone about it until about a year ago. Even this weekend I would not have sought medical attention had my loved ones not pretty much forced me to call and dragged me to the ER. As for work, I have notes saying I've had medical stuff going on and sincerely hope that they'll accept those and back off. I appreciate your words very much.

I truly hope that some day you can find a way to seek medical attention and find some relief. It has taken me a very long time (I literally spent years doing essentially nothing but lay in bed staring into space), but the difference made in the past year has been tremendous. It has also given me the boost I needed to start looking into help for other medical problems I have (I'm currently on seven prescriptions, not counting the short run of ativan, and am still trying to find the right balance of everything to make my body function more like a healthy one).

If you ever want someone else to talk to who understands these things, feel free to give me a shout. Short of medical help, talking to others suffering from these disabilities is one of the best bits of assistance I've found.

Thanks hon, and the same offer is extended to you.

killbill23

I think you should try EFT. That reduced my anxiety.
thmbup.gif

YouTube - ANXIETY, FEAR and STRESS Relief with EFT

Krasevayadancer

I have a lot of experience in dealing with intense anxiety so here are my thoughts:

Let me start by saying that my sister has been diagnosed formally with panic disorder, so she is very much like you. She has her moment when all of a sudden a wash of sheer panic comes over her. She can't breathe, she becomes dizzy and lightheaded, and she immediately starts to feel like she is dying. Anybody who didn't know her would see her in the midst of an attack would think she is crazy.

I think your main goal should be to figure out what is at the heart of your panic attacks. It could be conscious, it could be subconscious- but I strongly believe that specific issues and general unhappiness with life are what trigger your attacks. I recommend a holistic approach. Sit down and calmly think about your situation and what it is that could possibly be making you anxious.

Panic disorder is truly a disease, and it should be recognized as such. It is not an excuse and it most certainly is incapacitating.

Hang in there and best of luck. I am always here to talk (sometimes just talking to a sympathetic person can help)
smiles.gif
th_hug.gif

blaze5113

YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!!a LOT OF PEOPLE SUFFER BUT DON'T HAVE THE courage TO TALK ABOUT IT. If you have ins. find a good Dr., either general m.d., or go online, research psych. in your area that work with panic attactks. It can be helped. With therapy, not always long term, and also meds, don't be afraid, not always addictive, they help, will write more when I can, love ya be strong, we women always are

purrtykitty

I'd start by checking your employee manual to determine anything about sick leave and if they say anything about illnesses. Next, I'd definitely get a doctor's note - even though it sounds kinda silly...it could go a long way in impressing upon your employer the seriousness of your condition.

ITA how unfair it is the way mental illnesses are treated. They can be as debilitating, if not more than many physical conditions.

Most important, take care of yourself
th_hug.gif
Here is some Bimbo magic for you
th_thstars.gif
th_thstars.gif
th_thstars.gif
th_thstars.gif
th_thstars.gif
greengrin.gif

Lissa

It definitely is completely debilitating and unless anyone has suffered from it themselves it is so hard to comprehend. I had severe anxiety disorder two years ago, it developed out of the blue and I had to quit my job and have six months off. I started off by going and hiding in the toilets at work and having to sit on the floor and let it take over me and had absolutely no idea what was going on at the time, so frightening. It got worse and worse to the point i couldn't get out of bed so I had to give up my job. I didn't tell many people what was going on except my close family, as I was worried what people would think of me. Turns out later on when I did open up to a few, everyone either has had panic attacks at some point in their lives or knows someone who has. I really don't know how I had never come across it before, it is so common.

I had valium (which I still carry just in case - even having that with me I feel greatly reduces the risk of it happening again as it provides me with some comfort) and also, which is the most effective thing long term, cognitive behavioural therapy once a week. We worked out what had triggered it - turned out to be the death of my dad when I was 13 (I'm 29 now so it was many years later) and I was able to grieve over again which hadn't happened properly when I was 13 and also be taught how to deal with the panic triggers. The big thing that really helped was a checklist to go through in my mind, starting with 'what is the current danger to me at this exact moment in time' which helped me to realise that there was a big difference between what was actually going on in reality and what I was imagining to be happening, and eventually this way of thinking helped me to control that rising wave of panic.

I wish you, and everyone suffering with it, the best of wishes. It is truly horrible. And to anyone suffering who hasn't yet sought help, you really must do it

pumpkincat210

Anxiety and Panic Disorders are very real illnesses! Don't let anyone tell you differently, and you can get over them or at least to a manageable level.
I hate panic attacks and had them since i was little. After being on tons of medications (some that made it even worse like buspar and seroquel) My doctor prescribed me klonopin(clonazapam). I had actually went into the e.r. because of this horrible day long panic attack (they gave me ativan too, but it wasn't strong enough) Klonopin is a benzodiazapine like ativan, valium, etc, but a little stronger, but not as strong as xanax. It made the world of difference, just 0.5 milligrams! They make them so you can dissolve them in your mouth so they work faster. I tried to remember the feelings it would give me after taking one during a panic attack. When I feel a panic attack coming on now i just close my eyes and remember the relief the medication gave me. It's almost a zen trick i taught myself and so far it has worked nearly every time. The klonopin made me feel normal and slightly relaxed, but not drugged out. I've been on it over a year and now take 1 mg for panic attacks, but a tolerance is expected, you just have to be really open with your doctor on your usage. Now i hardly ever have attacks and keep a bottle around just in case. It doesn't come without a downside though. It doesn't work for everyone and some people think its too sedating. I found it helpful in it didn't debilitate me and lasted longer than valium without all of valium's hypnotic side effects. It also has the potential for abuse and is regulated by the government. stopping it suddenly after long term regular use can cause withdrawals like seizures. Less severe you get panic attacks, nervousness, etc. So tapering of this drug is the way to go. It's really cheap too, considering i don't have insurance, i get 60 pills/month for $10 at walgreen's. I have so many refills though because i hardly have to use them anymore
smiles.gif

Your doctor will definatly want to monitor you for abuse and it losing it's effect. I don't abuse mine and it worked well. You can also take it on an empty stomach.
You also need to look at triggers. What triggers your attacks if anything? Loneliness was my main trigger. Sometimes anti depressants and other meds can cause panic attacks too. Talking about it for me helped to some extent, but ultimately i had to me medicated.
It sucks your doctor would consider dropping you. HELLLLLOOOOO you aren't well obviously and to abandon a patient right in their time of need is really deplorable. Maybe if you were well you'd be making better decisions (of course!) Don't be afraid to switch doctors if you aren't comfortable with yours. It takes trial and error and not everyone has a good personality match too.

And if they recommend seroquel, take the smallest dose possible with caution. It really packs a punch and put me to sleep. I lost months out of my life being asleep or a zombie. I could only recommend it for severe cases because it is so strong on me and those i've known to take it.

For everyone though finding the right path is different. Some people can get through panic on just excercise! Read up on panic and anxiety disorders in the library and on the net and find a good support group. They'll have a plethora of information you might find useful and a true relief. Good luck!

User93

I wanted to ask -does it mattewr much what are you afraid of when you get this anxiety attacks? I used to get some when i was graduating from school, i was very stressed, was worried something bad gonna happen to me, was feeling bad etc. But can it be any fear making me feel sick/depressed, no mattewr what is it connected with? How can i diagnose myself right now, if this is really anxiety attack coming back or no?

pumpkincat210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibi
I wanted to ask -does it mattewr much what are you afraid of when you get this anxiety attacks? I used to get some when i was graduating from school, i was very stressed, was worried something bad gonna happen to me, was feeling bad etc. But can it be any fear making me feel sick/depressed, no mattewr what is it connected with? How can i diagnose myself right now, if this is really anxiety attack coming back or no?

For some people learning their fear and what it is rooted in can help them overcome panic attacks, but it doesn't work for everyone. Some people have random fears that cause panic attacks. Some people don't have a reason for their attacks, they just happen. It's your brain trying to cope but getting a chemical imbalance instead and making you feel panicky. If you are feeling anxious and still can't do anything about it, and it happens often I'd definitely go see a doctor, even a general practitioner. Sometimes behavioral modification therapy works and for others medication works, or a combination of the two.
Whatever you do, be proactive, because living with a panic disorder is hell, but it is treatable. Don't waste your life like i did for awhile because I thought I was crazy and incurable. I found that it was way easier to treat than depression or bipolar disorder, which i still have my struggles with from time to time. I went from having panic attacks daily and not getting anything done to having them once every couple of months, if that and they no longer take over my life.

NatalieMT

Just reading this thread and I agree an update would be nice. It'd be good to hear if you found some sort of relief Sanayhs.

I've suffered with panic attacks, for 6 years now. They are very much on and off, so in that respect I am lucky that I am not plagued by them 24/7.

I agree with posters that said a doctors note would be good, once your workplace has a written medical confirmation of your problem they might get off your back a bit. I remember when I was having problems at college and they head of department would just not leave me alone about what was going on. Eventually the only way to request he backed off was to get letters and just explain why/what was happening.

I remember when I first seeked medical help for panic attacks, which was last November. I was offered counselling and so I decided I might aswell go for it. I was referred and the lady I was referred to started writing to me and sending my information on panic attacks. To be honest though it made me panicky to even open the letters! I got sent an appointment for this August for counselling (which is an absolutely ridiculous wait time) but I declined. I don't know I felt like when I'd wanted help I was in the moment of really wanting to stop this happening to me, but now I don't know I just don't feel it. I don't feel the motivation to change. I guess I'm also scared of admitting to someone face to face why this happens to me...

nunu

I am so sorry that you have been going through this. Take care of yourself and try to calm yourself down whenever you feel panicked.
th_hug.gif

Sanayhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat210
I'd like to know if the original poster ever found some relief fro her panic attacks, I'd love to hear an update!

I'm here to update!

The work place... I provided them with a note from my doctor and another one from the ER. I still got lectured, written up and suspended for a day without pay. But, of course, they still made me go in and think I was working that day first.

I'm still having problems. The anxiety hasn't calmed down much, and there's no obvious trigger for panic attacks. I'm fine one minute, and the next I'm not. Furthermore, my citalopram prescription has ceased to do pretty much anything for me. I'm right back to where I started out originally, fluctuating between very up and very, very down. I can go from laughing and talking in a steady, excited stream to sobbing hysterically. Plus, there are periods when I'm extremely agitated and everything make me angry and snap. Awesome. Sometimes one mood will last for days or weeks, other times it's all of them in one day. Sometimes I sleep two hours a night and I'm all set to GO GO GO, and other times I can't get out of bed. I end up spending money I don't have even when I know I really can't afford to, just because there's that little happy note of finding something pretty and then seeing it show up in the mailbox. Sometimes I just completely disconnect from reality, and nothing feels like it is actually happening; it feels like a dream at most.

I've called in sick for three days of work this week and my manager is once again furious. Not over the first two days, mind you, but because of today, since I was her second call in of the day. That's hardly my fault. I told her I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, and she tried to tell me that, no, that's not acceptable, because I am scheduled to work tomorrow. My response was that that can't be, since I booked the day off weeks ago. She couldn't say much to that, except that she wants me to call her IMMEDIATELY after my doctor's appointment and I must have a note for her. A note is fine, but I won't be calling the second I get out of an appointment.

It will be a month tomorrow since I had my citalopram adjusted, following the original disaster. My anxiety issues have been such a mess lately that I've been physically shaking for days. I've been eating terribly (if at all), which is resulting in headaches and dizziness. I'm by no means giving up, but I'm certainly not where I need to be yet.

Oh, and the referral the psych nurse at the ER said she was sending in to the local mental health clinic for me has yielded no response whatsoever.

elegant-one

There certainly must be someone that can empathetically talk with you to actually pinpoint where its coming from. Almost anything stressful big or small can trigger these panic attacks.

I absolutely feel for you dear with all my heart
th_hug.gif

Latest posts