Any advice/thoughts/help will be greatly appreciated :)

dizzygoo82

I'm going to try to not make this too long for those who will read this
smiles.gif

Ok so in the past few months I've lost an important person in my life who was basically like a second brother to a motorcycle accident, then I found out my dog (well my parents dog but I considered her mine too) had cancer and unfortunately she passed away a few days before I was making a trip back home to my parents house. And a couple of weeks ago I found out a friend had some serious health problems but is now doing well and is back home recovering.

So right after my dog passed away away I started having mood swings, crying for no reason, and feeling depressed. A lot of the time it happens before I go to sleep, the feeling of anxiousness and thoughts running through my head. A couple of times it happened at work, which I assumed was the feeling of an anxiety attack.

So I went home as planned to see my family and friends from where I grew up and came back feeling much better.

But I am still having some of the thoughts, thinking that a phone call from a relative will be bad news about a death in the family or someone close to me or feeling anxious occasionally.

sooo now onto my other problem....I have a job where I am not allowed to take medicine related to anxiety or anything like that and I am also not allowed to be diagnosed with any "anxiety problem"
I may be able to talk to a therapist about how I'm feeling but I'm scared they may try to put me on medicine or say that I have a medical problem.

And also, do you think it's normal after hearing really bad news in the past few months by phone calls that sometimes when I receive a phone call I get very nervous thinking that it's very bad news. it doesn't happen all of the time, just occassionally.

Thank you so much for everyone who reads through all of this and takes the time to give me any help/advice/thoughts or any input...I appreciate it
smiles.gif

gigglegirl

*hugs* to you. About 3 years ago (when I was 20) I went through a really rough time where in the timespan of one year my father and one set of grandparents died, all from unrelated things. Let me tell you, I think (at least for me) it was expected to be anxious for phone calls as you didn't know who/what if anything happened. But once you begin moving on with your life, and there isn't bad news, you expect it less and less. Honestly at the beginning when this all transpired, I couldn't imagine things getting better. But for me they did, especially with time.

So you mention its been a few months....have you found things to get better or the anxiety lessen at all? I would suggest though that if it persists and the intensity doesn't dissipate you should seek help whether its a counselor/therapist/whomever. And I don't think they are going to be quick with trying to prescribe you pills--they usually begin by talking with you and trying to resolve things that way.

I'm sending my best to you!

Beauty Mark

How nervous do you get? Are you on the verge of crying or is it a tinge of fear? Do you find yourself getting better or staying the same or even worse?

I don't know what kind of job you have or why a therapist would have to report your medical info to your employer, but life is too short to live in distressing situation if you know there is a possible fix. If you go the route of therapy, I would express your concerns to the therapist re. your work

ductapemyheartt

first of all, just a therapist cannot prescribe any medication for you. they can recommend a psychiatrist to you, but if you explain to them your situation about not being able to take medication, the therapist can help you find some good coping mechanisms to deal with anxiety attacks.

they can teach you good and healthy ways to handle your anxiety without medication. they can teach you ways to calm yourself down without having to pop a pill.

since all of this just started happening to you after all of these bad situations, i doubt a therapist will try to send you to a psychiatrist. usually people are put on medication after all of the other methods have failed.

i think finding someone to talk would be a good idea.

:]

i hope this helps some.

labellavita7

What kind of job won't let you take medication for your mental health? Or reports your health records?

I would suggest talking to the therapist, it may be awkward at first but I'm sure you'll be able to handle it. If after a while the therapy is not the best method for you, then that's when they might suggest medication. If worse comes to worse, and you are diagnosed or have to take medication, I would put your health in front of your job, life is too short and you want to make sure you're taking proper care of yourself.

It's normal to be nervous about phone calls after having a series of traumatic events like that happen in your life, but sometimes to recover you have to take extra measures so maybe the therapy will be beneficial.

I'm sorry for all your losses, and I hope that everything works out for you in the end. Good luck
smiles.gif

SparklingWaves

Yes, I think your reaction is very normal. You had many losses hit you all at once.

Talking to a counselor may help you work out your feelings in a safe setting.

Like the others stated, I don't know of a career that doesn't allow people to be on medications. As long as you have a prescription, companies usually don't have a problem with it.

Because this just started, doesn't mean you will automatically be placed on a medication either. Therapist don't automatically advise people to be placed on meds right off the cuff.

I am sorry for your losses. Peace to you.

dizzygoo82

Thank you all for your responses
smiles.gif
I didn't really want to say my job because I'm sure that somebody knows somebody who knows somebody who works with me haha. I just don't want it to get around. That may sound weird, but you know everybody talks and I am new at this job.
But I know for sure that if I am diagnosed with an anxiety like condition I could lose my job, or if I get put on medication for anxiety.

But anyway, I think I'm going to start looking into talking to a therapist because I do believe that I am able to do that.

Thanks again
smiles.gif
choochoo.gif

meiming

I don't think it should end up classifying you as anxiety. Sounds like those are all valid reasons for your mood/emotions to be affected. (aka situationally related/relevant). And most jobs should be understanding of personal loss. After my mom died, my dog was put to sleep and then I broke up with my boyfriend and the next year my grandpa died. I went to a therapist for a while for grief counseling and no one at my job thought of that as unreasonable. Perhaps labeling as that would help you?

HTH

*Stargazer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by labellavita7
What kind of job won't let you take medication for your mental health? Or reports your health records?

The military and many police forces are a couple that won't. It's not so much that they won't let you, but that taking them can severely impact your career. I believe pilots can also be grounded based on meds they are taking.

To the OP, hang in there. I hope things get better for you
smiles.gif

Beauty Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzygoo82
Thank you all for your responses
smiles.gif
I didn't really want to say my job because I'm sure that somebody knows somebody who knows somebody who works with me haha. I just don't want it to get around. That may sound weird, but you know everybody talks and I am new at this job.
But I know for sure that if I am diagnosed with an anxiety like condition I could lose my job, or if I get put on medication for anxiety.

But anyway, I think I'm going to start looking into talking to a therapist because I do believe that I am able to do that.

Thanks again
smiles.gif
choochoo.gif

You could initially try calling a help line to inquire about things. Those are anonymous and not everyone who calls is suicidal/being abused/etc. I'm sure the people there may have more insight on what you can do and advise you on how best to go forward