Any fellow photographers?

AimeeL

Aspiring or pro!

I am a big photography geek, and since I have spent the last few days researching which new lens I want for my birthday (which already passed, but it always lens between paydays for us), I figured I'd see who else here loves to take photos
smiles.gif

kittykit

*hands up* Me me!
smiles.gif
I love taking photos and only took it seriously and started to invest in DSLR and lenses about half a year ago. D40 is my first and I only own 3 Nikkor lenses.

xsnowwhite

I love photography! for now I just use a regular digital camera but I would love to try an SLR sometime

tara_hearts

I love photography. I have a canon s5is. I'm really in a learning process. I've conquered macro photography at the moment
smiles.gif

AimeeL

Awesome ladies, I was hoping for a few fellow geeks like me
smiles.gif

I own a D60 but I have definitly outgrown it. After Christmas I plan on getting a D300, so that I can work with more lenses as well. I currently only have the kit 18-55mm lens and a Sigma 70-300mm, and the latter doesn't auto focus. So I am working on getting a true macro lens, since I use a little crappy point and shoot for my macro right now, a Canon A640.

I've been doing model photography for several months now, trying to expand my portfolio so I can start doing paid gigs
smiles.gif

nelyanaphonexia

yup! I'm a freelance photographer. Sort of. I've only done personal/private work for myself and my family. My dad is a professional photographer though. He actually photojournaled Vietnam while he was there as a soldier. He is putting together a commemorative book which may or may not be published for the public. Guess it runs in the fam.
greengrin.gif

Anywho: right now I'm shooting with a Canon D5 Mark II, which I share *grumble* with my dad. I couldn't afford it on my own, so sharing is how I have to go for now, which really isn't so bad, because I live with him. But I will get a camera of my own sometime, maybe for graduation from college this Dec! I also have a really old Sony DSLR. It's what I use for my FOTD, candid shots and what I carry around with me, because I couldn't afford to loose/have the D5 stolen.
my fav most recent photos:

Texas Tech versus University of Texas Football Game, Lubbock, TX, Jones AT&T Stadium, Nov. 1, 2008

n16707060_38777807_5565.jpg

(this one is my fave)

n16707060_38777810_6453.jpg

n16707060_38777813_7348.jpg

hehe....hope you didn't mind me sharing. Oh, and those were taken with my crappy Sony. They don't let Long Lens DSLRs into the stadium w/o being part of the photo crew. Which I can shoot with for the University, since I'm in the school of art and one of my best friends is pres. of the photo crew, but I wanted to just go as a fan.
yes.gif
Way more fun that way.

Oh, and this is way more funny now than it was when shooting. Some ass hole hit me with two apples and a full soda while I was taking the pics because he thought I was a UT fan. Seriously, some Tech Football Fans should lighten up.
tong.gif
Course, there are crazy sports fans everywhere, right?

Ms.Matashi

Raises hand. I am a big photographer lover. A few months ago I got a Canon 40D and I love it. A 50mm 1.8 lens is a good cheap lens that you can get.

Chic 2k6

I love photography, I'm studying it in college and want to do it as a career. I'm most interested in music photography and photographed Velvet Revolver this year! here's coupla snaps hehe and my site's Siobhan T Photography : Home

These were taken with a Fuji A800 point and shoot lol but normally I use Canon Rebel XTi, i've got 18-55 kit lens and 90-300 lens also

Scott Weiland

Scott2.jpg

Slash

Slash.jpg

It was truly awesome to photograph Velvet Revolver <3 it just made me want to be a music photographer so much more

AimeeL

Holy cow, it's Slash! This is the coolest shot ever too - that backlighting is perfect. You're awesome.

nelyanaphonexia, I love that first shot, you captured the colors perfectly. I would absolutely love to get a lens that has VR so I can do shots just like this.

Since we are sharing, here are a couple from my most recent photoshoot:
2993314431_62d3d99307.jpg

2993311959_76f1e831d8.jpg

And a few of my favorite macros, which is my preferred style:
2952132871_bd20a21245.jpg

2873093329_f52ec90a63.jpg

kittykit

Beautiful shots, girls! You're sooo good!

I like taking pictures of nature, am still practising to get my potrait shots better.

Here are some I've taken with my all time favourite 50mm 1.8/f.

2714269321_1fe193977f.jpg

2715081500_6178e7e400.jpg

Taken with the Nikkor 55-200mm VR I bought in summer, I wish they could be better.

2681790163_68f3d00905.jpg

2685612091_2d84c3e013.jpg

AimeeL

kittykit, that little mushroom is SERIOUSLY cute. It reminds me of the ones from Super Mario, hah.

You do great work with the 50mm too. It's one that I have been eyeing for awhile, I want to get one. They are so cheap and they take great, sharp pictures. It won't auto focus on my D60 though, and I suck at manual focus heh.

chocolategoddes

I'm a photography noob, but I have a strong love for it. I'm saving up for my first dslr. You all are very talented, from what I see. Hopefully, I can learn a few things.

AimeeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolategoddes
I'm a photography noob, but I have a strong love for it. I'm saving up for my first dslr. You all are very talented, from what I see. Hopefully, I can learn a few things.

Oohh - what do you plan on getting? Or are you still researching?

callmestella

I love photography. I have a Nikon D50 and a D80. I kind of want the d90, but I think it's too much to have three cameras. I think I have 5 lenses, but I have had quite a bit to drink, and my memory is a little off right now. I have the 50mm and it's amazing. I have a ton of crappy pictures, but I refuse to use auto...I feel it's the best way to learn and it's helping. I have a ton of web sites for reference, if anyone is interested.

benzito_714

am i the only old school photo junkie? I feel so out of touch lol. I am a 35mm, large format girl on top of that I am a dark room junkie!

AimeeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzito_714
am i the only old school photo junkie? I feel so out of touch lol. I am a 35mm, large format girl on top of that I am a dark room junkie!

I wish I had learned that way first, but digital has really spoiled me. Plus I tend to like taking more than one shot of each thing, and I'd waste SO much film that way! Lol!

callmestella, I decided to give in and buy the 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro, whether it AF's on my D60 or not. It will be a good learning tool - I am ordering it tomorrow along with the Phoenix Wide Angle-Telephoto 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6. They will both AF when I get the D300 anyway
smiles.gif

kittykit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeL
kittykit, that little mushroom is SERIOUSLY cute. It reminds me of the ones from Super Mario, hah.

You do great work with the 50mm too. It's one that I have been eyeing for awhile, I want to get one. They are so cheap and they take great, sharp pictures. It won't auto focus on my D60 though, and I suck at manual focus heh.

50mm doesn't auto focus on D40 but manual focusing isn't that hard.
smiles.gif
You just need to play around with it a bit and once you're used to manual focusing, trust me, you're going to LOVE it.
thmbup.gif

I reckon Flickr is a great place for to learn and I've done a lot of research before buying lenses. I'd love to get a macro lens.

AimeeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittykit
50mm doesn't auto focus on D40 but manual focusing isn't that hard.
smiles.gif
You just need to play around with it a bit and once you're used to manual focusing, trust me, you're going to LOVE it.
thmbup.gif

I reckon Flickr is a great place for to learn and I've done a lot of research before buying lenses. I'd love to get a macro lens.

flickr is awesome, I have learned almost everything I know from people there. I am a part of two good groups - one local, one specific to my camera - and both have a few select people that always answer my questions, even if I think they are ridiculous. It helps A LOT.

I am ordering my macro lens today and I can hardly wait to get it!