Any MAC MA's here in Canada/British Columbia?

Chelsea

I really dont reccomend going to school its a waste of money. you could get a full time retail position in makeup without it.

shabdebaz

If you want to work at MAC, it is hard to get a full time position from the outside. They like to fill those openings internally first. It makes sense, though, to give current employees priority. You will probably have to start with contract or part-time to get your foot in the door.

shabdebaz

Oops. I forgot to also mention that I totally agree with Chelsea, you don't need to go to full time makeup school to get a retail job. I only had taken a couple community college "interest" type makeup courses before I got my job.

xstephax

i can't really answer your question but...

i am currently attending blanche macdonald. i know a lot of people say that going to a cosmetology school doesn't really matter (no matter how good the school is) but i can say that going to blanche will help to further your skills. the things you will learn here and the amazing teachers make it a valuable place to come to. you'll learn a lot. about make up, future career possibilties and yourself.

Wattage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstephax
i can't really answer your question but...

i am currently attending blanche macdonald. i know a lot of people say that going to a cosmetology school doesn't really matter (no matter how good the school is) but i can say that going to blanche will help to further your skills. the things you will learn here and the amazing teachers make it a valuable place to come to. you'll learn a lot. about make up, future career possibilties and yourself.

I have to say that I agree. Going to Blanche is expensive and time consuming but the preparation will never be a negative. I think if you are really young (say you just graduated), Blanche and a retail job on the side would do wonders for your resume. I know a lot of people who say Blanche was a waste of time and money, but I truly believe in my mind that experiences are only what you make of them.

Best of luck!

smiles.gif

schiller16

im attending it too! in september it that when you are? that is so cool ive already met a girl whos gona be in my class also

galvanizer

I went to Blanche too (graduated Jan'04) and I would never say it's a waste of time or money, though it was expensive! You do learn a lot about the business (proper hygiene being a big one and soooo important!!) and all about other aspects of the industry. Would you prefer fashion or theatre? Retail sales or weddings? What looks are you best at? ~ natural or glamour... or even FX? It does help you refine what you want to get into and what your strengths are, definitely! And it helps you with face shapes, eye shapes, colour coordinating, period looks, how colour and B&W photography differ... I did find that you often didn't have a lot of time to perfect a certain look before moving onto something else, but it's an ever learning process. I only wish I'd taken the course right out of highschool, because going into film would definitely been an interest for me. Now i have kids and I need more stable hours so that's not an option anymore
ssad.gif

Don't regret going. It's true that you can get a job without formal schooling, but I think of all the little bits of information that I have under my belt that others that didn't go don't have and you are more prepared IMO.

hotti82

going to blanche is a great thing to put on a resume; it's reputation is outstanding. but if you decide to go to school, make sure it's because you want to further your skills, not create your skills. You have to have talent first, otherwise it's a HUGE waste of money. they won't tell you how to be a MUA; but they can teach you to enrich yourself. it is REALLY expensive, but the directors are fantastic and if you've got some talent and can afford it, go for it...that's my 2 cents...

galvanizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilithime
Where do you work now? I wasn't sure if I wanted to get a license or not in esthetician because I like doing that kind of stuff.. but I just looked at it as a fall back job.. I really want to do makeup artistry but I'm afraid I'll be poor with no work, etc. :/

Ack! So sorry ~ I didn't check back!
I work for Lancome right now but I still would love to get in with MAC one day! :p

meller

Going to Blanche is good, but not neccessarily needed to work at aMAC..AS for part time, you can move up after you show your dedication and is it open..If you are already good at make-up try for it now..