Any thoughts on living in Austin, TX?

lackofcolor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Fate

5 - there is nothing to do here. this must be why austin is a bigger alcohol market than houston,dallas,and san antonio.(all which have at least 2x the population)

6 - hearing about fucking UT sports every 5 minutes....i fucking HATE UT!

umm hello...but UT is there, I am sure in any city with a huge university they have their sports stuff plastered all over the city.
I know a&m does with even their restaurants having maroon on it somehow.
And drinking..it is a college city too and thats what a lot of college kids do. It's a huge university and a lot of college kids party hence all the bars within walking distance of one another.

I love Austin, there is so much to do there, art galleries, museums, etc and you can always find new little places to go to that you have never heard of before. I love the site citysearch. I actually live in houston(which i loveeee houston) and use it here and always find new places to go too.

Jessica

Quote:
Originally Posted by asteffey
if you arent a republican, don't live there.

I have no idea what you are referencing. Austin's motto is "Keep Austin Weird" It's all about individuality, anything goes. You can walk into ANY restaurant in flip flops and cut offs or all dressed up and no one would look twice.

I adore Austin and you couldn't get me to live anywhere else! Very open-minded atmosphere.

Jessica

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Whore
OK, I'm curious....What are the big white vans???

Professor Fate drives a big white van for work that has been affectionately named "The Child Molestor." No he's not, but it sure does look suspicious when it's parked in front of your house (LMAO)

MizMac

I just moved to Austin myself, so far so good!! There is alot to do here and everyone is really friendly!! We live in the burbs..ie Cedar Park, but it's only like a 20 min drive to the city. We moved from Seattle, where it was really rainy. I'm still adjusting to the heat (we've only been here for like a month) The heat has agrivated a health condition I have (multiple scorosis) but everything has a/c. My sweet hubby is getting an automatic starter on my car so it can be cooled down when I get in it so that should help!! Plus there are 3 MAC counters!! sak's, dillards and Nordies (my counter). And San Antonio has a MAC store!! Plus there is a cco in San Marcos which is only like a 1/2 hour drive out of Austin. Cost of Living is better than Seattle too. I can't really comment on the hippy thing since Seattle has a protest about something all the time. The driving, well I have mastered the game of speed up and then slam on your brakes
smiles.gif
Give a head's up if you are comming down to visit and then we can have a Specktra meetup or something!!

Classic Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizMac
Give a head's up if you are comming down to visit and then we can have a Specktra meetup or something!!

Specktra Austinite meeting is desperately needed!

Janice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Beauty
Specktra Austinite meeting is desperately needed!

I'm down for it, in fact I have the week off of work. We should all get together sometime soon. Anyone interested in planning something?

MizMac

I don't have to work till 5 on friday, I started a thread on the shopping buddies forum.

kaliraksha

Boo! I <3 UT, but hate the sports... so you give a little and lose a little. The traffic is pretty annoying... but obviously you learn to get around it. I personally think there is tons to do in Austin... I really can't imagine finding another city to do more in... I can't think of one activitiy another city would have over Austin. Alcohol... biggest population of people in their 20s... oh wait, might explain the driving too!

lovejam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Beauty
It does get hot in Texas, but it's not a big whoop.

That right there is why I'd never live in Texas unless I had no choice in the matter. And even then? I'd be fighting the whole way there. I am one of those people who absolutely hates heat, and climate is a very big influence on where I live, or even where I visit. I have family in Texas, but I won't visit them in the summertime. If I'm to visit a place that gets hot in the summer, I won't go until fall or winter.

I know, I'm totally weird, but I just cannot stand heat. Well, I can't stand anything hotter than Southern California. It's usually in the 80's here during summer, and even that bothers me.
lol.gif