Any tips for being on feet all day?

whispercalm

Just wondering how you girls who work full time behind a counter manage with being on your feet all day. Any tips for getting used to it or wht you do?

cutenurse2486

Hi there! I'm a new nurse & I have to be on my feet all day. The best advice I can give you is to invest in some really good, supportive shoes. I know sometimes they are not the cutest styles and might be sort of pricey, but your feet will thank you if you take care of them & it is cheaper to buy a good pair of shoes than have to go to a doctor for chronic foot pain/problems!
winks.gif
Hope that helps!

TISH1124

Gel insoles.....they have helped me thru a many of days...and I wear the highest dang heels ever! I love self abuse

dulcekitty

The gel insoles definitely. And your legs and feet get used to it, after a couple weeks you won't feel it as much, if at all.

manthanoelle

WATER! Drinking a lot of water helps. Not quite sure why 100%, but it does help cut down swelling and well... waters just good for you haha.

I work retail managment, the non-cosmetic sort, so I am on my feet all day then usually from there I go to freelancing jobs. The only time I sit is in my car driving from one to the other.

For awhile I wasn't drinking very much water, so I wanted to try to start drinking more of it. Prior to glupping down some h20 like I should, my feet would hurt horribly, always taking tylenol which is NOT good. Then I started drinking more water and it helped A LOT. I wear ballerina flats 99% of the time so I have 0 support in them, but water helps.

MissAlphaKitty

I used to work retail and switching up the shoes midway through the day helps. Something about getting out of the hot shoes you've had on your feet and slipping into a cold fresh pair of shoes hth

metal_romantic

I used to switch shoes too!
I find that the foam inserts work a lot better for me than the gel ones. Self-adhesive ones are the way to go- the gel ones tend to move around too much and become uncomfortable for me.

DirtyPlum

Changing shoes definitely helps. I wear heels in the morning (try to stick to rounded toe rather than pointy) and by lunch my feet are crying out for my flats.

I also found that the more weight I have lost, the less my feet hurt at the end of the day. Obviously, the extra weight was extra hard work for my diddy size 4s.

ms.marymac

My feet have definitely not gotten used to it, they have gotten worse. The best advice is to get supportive shoes. I always bought cheap trendy shoes and now I am paying for it...it may due to other factors, but standing on my feet all day on a hard ass floor in wonky shoes has not helped!

makeupNdesign

Bring flats to change into mid-shift. Or if you're short like me, wear wedges/platforms that are tall but don't have such a high arch. I need to be hiked up a bit to be able to reach my client's face without straining.

Moxy

Me and my sis have these issues too, she works at a Pharmacy and is on her feet for 8 hours everyday and when I do my part time Manhattan make up freelancing it's 8 hours straight too, such a pain in the bum (I mean feet
greengrin.gif
)!

I agree with others, comfy shoes (if that's possible), lots of food that gives you energy, lots of water...and mandatory feet baths when you get home
yes.gif

There is another thing that helps, don't ask me why it helps, but it does, every one I know who have to stand a lot are doing this:

take Magnesium pills. Here you can get them in form of those pills that disolve in a glass of water, but I'm sure you can get them in a normal pill form as well. One glass a day and it'll soon start to show.

BEA2LS

i agree to switch it up, because after awhile flats hurt as bad - sometimes worse - than heels.
ssad.gif

Dr_Girlfriend

They are DEFINITELY not the most fashion forward choice, but I love Dansko clogs. I work mostly 12 hour days and don't get much office time. They're expensive but totally worth the money.

Cinci

you want something with good arch support! I used to LIVE in flats & flip flops.. but the years of crappy shoes have done me in
ssad.gif
some mornings i'm in so much pain that I can't get out of bed!

boudoirblonde

Buy shoes with good support! Also, try to have 2 or 3 pairs of comfy shoes, it really helps if you dont wear the same pair more than 2 days in a row