Anybody corner themselves into buying something they're apprehensive about?

josie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD84
i've never once bought something because i felt i had to buy it. but as others have said, generally when i go into a mac store (or any store really!) i already have an idea on what i want to buy and get out of my trip there. i'd never go in for the hell of it and buy alot of stuff and then think 'doh! didnt need/want that!'

i went into the pro store in london at the weekend and a wonderful american girl helped me out. i wanted a couple of paint pots and blushes. told her what i already had and hwat colors i like, she then reccomended me a couple, tried some blushes out on me and i picked 2 paint pots and one blush. i also got some mixing medium because i said i liked playing with my pigments and she reccomended i get it. and i'm perfectly happy with her service and my products.

I don't necessarily buy things I don't want -- it's more like things I'm not completely decided on and I'm kind of an impulsive shopper, so when someone suggests something I kind of have a hard time saying no. I go in knowing what I want or what I want to swatch. I mean I don't always buy whenever someone suggests things, but I just have a hard time deciding whether I'd actually use something or not. The thing about the bronzer is that it looked good, but I wasn't 100% sure I'd actually get use out of it.

Why would I buy something I don't want? I'm not a robot that says "yes" on protocol. I actually want the items I swatch or try out, it's just that realistically I know I'm not going to get much use out of some things I might end up buying. I can't always decide after one swatch if I'd actually get use from an item -- I mean, most of the time I can, but that's not always the case. And being a starving college student, I don't want to be too frivolous with my purchases.

Ruffage

I have that problem too, and I am also a college student
greengrin.gif
I started doing makeup relatively late, so there is this phase where I have become so eager to catch up looking pretty and girly like the other girls that I was willing to give anything a try. Because I start late on finding my personal style I was really fickle and frantic on picking a look. I kept switching among smokey-sultry, bold-vibrant, nude-natural and pastel-feminine, all of which requires different colors and thus lots of products (not all of them expensive like MAC, thank God).

I also have that attitude of "better safe than sorry" for an impulse buyer. So I come here, read reviews, get stoked on the hype, and start lemming. There were times when I swatched things randomly in store and in just 30 seconds decided to pick it up, although fortunately I like them enough to use them often. I sometimes feel that all this makeup can be quite a burden, as I start feeling pressured to have to use them all before they go bad.

I'd like to think I'm near the end of this phase, as I am more immune to the excitement surrounding products now and have already settled on looking "natural" (with makeup :p) and feminine. I have also let go of the idea that there is enough difference between say for example, a yellow-toned peach and a neutral peach that I need both. It really saves me quite a bit of money and time when I look at displays and think "I kinda already have something like that". I still buy things from MAC and even backups, but only things I really really really love and can use everyday (Light Flush and Tendertones), instead of things that I know will end up at the bottom of my drawer after two applications (Brew lipstick, a couple of paintpots).

It also helped that I got back into a hobby -- drawing -- so I dedicate my time to that and homework/work instead of thinking what to buy every minute of the day and what to use to be prettier (yes, I was in that phase of self-consciousness). The less I'm obsessed with looking pretty with the latest stuff the less I am inclined to buy on impulse.

jrm

There are definitely things that I've been convinced into buying by the MAC MUA. That said, she specifically said 'hey, lets try this on you, I think it'll look great'. And sure enough - it did.

My latest additions to my collection - that I wasn't expecting to buy, and blown away at the results by the MUA were Buttery / Blonde Taupe brow shader (I would never have thought to buy this!) and the eyeshadow 'Woodwinked' which I'm now thoroughly in-love with.

Generally speaking, I'm going in with an idea of what I want to purchase, but I'm always happy to listen to the girl who I see on every visit. She has such wonderful taste and literally everything she's suggested I've already bought in the past or immediately fallen in-love with without regrets.

I will admit, however, that I have very little self-control .. lol
smiles.gif