Anyone in cosmetic sales having trouble making goal due to economy?

colorlvr

As I said in another thread, I am starting a job with Lancome soon (counter manager) and I am afraid of the dreaded "sales goals" thing that everyone complains about. Is it even HARDER to make those goals now since the economy has tanked?

My experience as a hairdresser has always been that the beauty industry is somewhat "recession proof" because people tend to balk at giving up their beauty items.... either their vanity is too powerful, or it is some form of therapy that they NEED to have.... (same logic that alcohol sales never suffer during economic crisis)
winks.gif

Any thoughts?

RedRibbon

I've heard that people are not going on holiday so much but are going to get their hair cut more often and buying more new makeup which is understandable as those items usually last longer than holidays (though not the memories) and plus they are cheaper.

My friend's sister works for YSL in Selfridges and she said that in store they have noticed that makeup sales are up if anything, more and more people are looking to makeup than to going on holiday.

I've never personally worked in retail beauty and was too young to realise what a recession was the last time we had one so I haven't personally taken any notice. I've only recently started buying new makeup because I want a decent kit of things I can use more than once so my own makeup expenditure has gone up.

gildedangel

I am not an MA, but I swear everytime I go to the mall or department store counters, its like the economy is booming! I gawk at how many people are buying stuff there, because I thought that the mall would be empty. Then I go to a hair salon and the place is barren for the hour and a half that I am there...

Tashona Helena

I work in retail and lately it's been on and off. Some days I'll blow my goal out of the water...some times, not so much. I work with clothes & accessories though, I would imagine makeup would be kinda booming, like what the "lipstick index" says what happens in a bad economy.

anita22

On the whole, sales have declined across the cosmetic industry if you look at it on a year-on-year basis (which eliminates the impact of seasonality). The degree to which the sales targets have been adjusted to take into account the drop in demand really just depends on the company and location. A new financial year has started since the recession began, so most companies would have been well aware of the economic situation before they set the current budget.

SmokeSignal16

Well at my store we have sucked in making numbers, it's like the store is pretty quiet with maybe some people in the store as of lately. Or the rest of the store is busy but our cosmetic dept is just bare. But we do have good days and bad days but it's been a lot of bad days lately.

User67

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeSignal16
Well at my store we have sucked in making numbers, it's like the store is pretty quiet with maybe some people in the store as of lately. Or the rest of the store is busy but our cosmetic dept is just bare. But we do have good days and bad days but it's been a lot of bad days lately.

Totally random! But, how do I become a member of the Ghetto Booty team? I'm a proud owner of a dunk & I LOVE your little smiley there!

SmokeSignal16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyla2120
Totally random! But, how do I become a member of the Ghetto Booty team? I'm a proud owner of a dunk & I LOVE your little smiley there!

Lol, 'dunk' that's cute! Love to have you with us, the more the merrier!! Try and see if you can copy this
ghetto-booty.gif
and then go under 'user cp' and paste it in your signature

L1LMAMAJ

Quote:
Lol, 'dunk' that's cute! Love to have you with us, the more the merrier!! Try and see if you can copy this
ghetto-booty.gif

haha so cute!!

Boasorte

Quote:
ghetto-booty.gif

good god almighty you gota baboonkadonk girl don't hurt nobody.... lol -Fatty Girl song (super old)

x0besoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWestchesterNY
good god almighty you gota baboonkadonk girl don't hurt nobody.... lol -Fatty Girl song (super old)

i used to love that song!!! i gotta download it now lol

ok to the OP your sales goal this year depends on what the counter on a whole did last year taking into consideration the type of account you have at the department store . I work for lancome at macys and last year my counter was the 2nd biggest grossing counter behind MAC so there is a lot of pressure at my counter to do good and beat other counters. But other counters in my state have different goals lower than ours based on demographics. Currently we are not getting reaching our goals or even matching last years because of the economy. some days are good and some are bad. The fact that i live on the jersey shore makes it even harder because people are not taking vacations they're at the beach. But if you live in an area where shopping is what people do for entertainment i feel you should be ok! your best bet is to stay optimistic and feel it out! good luck

colorlvr

Thank you so much for your advice! I am glad to meet another person who works for Lancome - how long have you worked for them? I work with a Lancome trainer (I don't know what the official title is - is he an account executive? I keep calling him these lame things like "Head Honcho" or "The Man" to my friends and family because I'm not sure what he is? Some sort of district head anyways) and hopefully after working with him I will feel more confident. Right now I feel scared and overwhelmed. This counter I have taken over has been very neglected for a year with NO ONE running it, or even working part time at it. (see my post yesterday) I've got a big job on my hands.

User67

Quote:
ghetto-booty.gif

Got it, thanks!

Latest posts