Anyone in Minnesota?

kristina ftw!

I'm going to Minnesota with one of my best friends in like 7 hours, to visit another one of my best friends ahaha. Anyway, I saw it was like ... Ridiculously cold there. Like, minus 15 degrees celcius during the day, and around minus 20 at night! Don't know what that is in Fahrenheit, sorry.
Anyway, does anyone here live there? WHAT THE HECK DO YOU WEAR TO STAY WARM? This is worrying me. I get cold easily HA.

chickatthegym

I have family there and they are in the middle of a HUGE blizzard
ssad.gif
Suppose to get around 8 inches of snow today! When I go there I wear lots of LAYERS! And bring a warm coat, gloves, ect. Have fun!

spacegirl2007

i live in iowa. it kind of depends on where in minnesota you are going. up north yeah, its going to be cold. and almost the whole state got hit with a blizzard today. but in the cities its probably right around freezing most days right now. we wear coats, boots, hats, gloves, scarves.

Nox

Of course you wear your scarf/muffler, gloves, hat and coat.

But don't underestimate the difference that LAYERING can make. I am originally from Minnesota. And in my experience, the best way to dress against the sub-zero cold is:

1) Put on a cotton tank top. A thin clingy/tight one should do.

2) Next, put on a form fitting t-shirt, or a fitted long-sleeved tee. We are going for functional layers here, without a whole lot of bulk.

3) A sweater goes next, or a sweatshirt. One with a hood is always nice.

4) Then your coat. A good coat for this kind of weather has two detachable layers. Columbia and Northface are great brands for this. If it doesn't, then the cold might get to you quick. Make sure to keep the hood of your sweatshirt out of the coat collar so you can access it to wear.

For hands, wear thin cheap knit gloves, and then wear Thinsulate mittens on top of it.

Wear your scarf snugly over your nose, mouth and chin. Put a warm stocking cap on. Then put your sweater hood on over it.

For pants, wear some tight fitting long underwear, then put your jeans on over it.

You may look a little stiff, and feel a little funny. The natives might even look at you weird. But don't try to brave the cold like they do right away... you will not be used to it, and you will suffer for it. Think about your warmth and comfort first before trying to simplify it down like they do.

tealo117

Hope you had fun. I live in Minnesota and it's been a really cold and long winter. Hopefully you missed the snow storm last week! We stay inside a lot this time of year. Spring is coming soon, I can't wait. Tomorrow it's supposed to reach 40 degrees. It's a heat wave.

shea_47

Buy some Minnesota lingerie! (long underwear/long johns, whatever you'd like to call them) I live in Ontario in a town an hour north of the Minnesota border and it's about the same temperature as Duluth. I hope you managed to stay warm!!

Latest posts