Anyone work for Estee Lauder?

laceymeow

I'm not totally sure I'm putting this in the correct forum, so I apologize in advance if it's in the wrong one.

I was curious if anyone on the board works for an Estee Lauder counter. I just started yesterday as part-time seasonal help. The girls I work with insist I will have a permanent position even though when I got hired in I was told it was strictly seasonal as there are no open positions. They say that they were told the same thing... and one of them is leaving the counter in a few days so there will be an open spot.
I've only been there one day so far but I really like it! Of course I'd like it a lot better if I were working for MAC... =P
So to get to the point, is it nice working for Estee Lauder? Will this experience, if only 2 months, help me have a better chance for a job at another counter in the future?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
smiles.gif

user3

I worked for EL for a short time many years ago.
I went in as seasonal help. They did offer me a permanent position but only because 3 regular gals left to go off to college. I didn't take it because I was carrying my son and the mix of all the perfume smells at the other counters made me sick.
It was fun working there for the short time. I had a few great ladies to work with so that really helped!
I'd say enjoy it while you can and just do your best! You never know what could happen!
sun.gif

Congrats!
party.gif

Eye<3Colour

i was so close to getting the job with EL, but they chose a girl w/more retail experience then me
ssad.gif
the only thing i didnt like about the counter is the ugly uniform you have to wear. very old lady like!! congrats to you!!!

KMFH

I work there, i actually just got hired. If im being honest. i hate it, with a passion. I am one of 2 people under 50 there, and so far its been the cold shoulder(spel?). None of that wouldnt be so bad, but i only had one day to let them know if i was taking the job, and that day my dh up and quit his, so i took it instead of waiting to get the mac job i was up for. me and my stupid ass. yesterday they called (while i was working 10 feet away at the EL counter) and offered me the mac job, but its too late as they are both in dillards and they have rules against that, i had a mini breakdown.
ssad.gif

galvanizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLoves2Shop
Congratulations!

Hey, as an Estee Lauder employee you get a MAC discount.

Oh, interesting! How much of a discount do EL companies get (with their own lines or with another line under EL, like MAC?)

Eye<3Colour

you get a discount, but your going to end up spending most your money on EL. when i went thru my final interview, i was told i was not allowed to wear anything but EL and they would be giving me samples until i could afford to buy the products i need from them. just a little fyi

SonRisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvanizer
Oh, interesting! How much of a discount do EL companies get (with their own lines or with another line under EL, like MAC?)

I can't speak for people working at the estee lauder counter, but as a straight up estee lauder employee (working for MAC), we get 30% on all estee brands (MAC is 60%). HOWEVER, it has to be at a freestanding store. Like, I could get Stila, but the only FS I know of is about 1.5 hours south of me. I could get Bumble and Bumble but the only FS is across the country in NYC. There are however 2 origins stores and 1 aveda store right in my area
smiles.gif

galvanizer

Ok, thanks Risa!

I was just curious because at Lancome we get only the dept. store's 10% and that's it. I just wondered if EL was any different.

laceymeow

thanks for the replies.
smiles.gif

everything is going great so far. my counter manager has commented that i am doing very well. she also mentioned that she has a part time opening now since the one girl left. she didn't actually offer it to me but she did ask me if i was interested in part time or full time. i expressed my interest in the permanent position and she told me to just keep at it since i'm doing well. i'm hoping she will offer me the position after the seasonal time is up but i'm not getting my hopes up TOO far yet.
i also worked with the account manager the day after thanksgiving.
smiles.gif
he gave me a lot of pointers about makeup application and picking foundation... and he mentioned the possibility of being an artist for them since he needs more in our area. i told him i was definitely interested and he said he'd discuss it with the main lady in the state who hired me. (i'm not sure what her official title is.)
either way, i reallllllly want to stay on the staff. everyone i work with is nice and i enjoy it.
sorry for the long post! :p i'm just nervous and excited, haha.

Latest posts