Apophis

Trunkmonkey

I sure hope Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck are still around
winks.gif

An asteroid called APOPHIS the size of 3 football fields will do a Fly by in 2029, close enough to get within the earth gravitational pull, NASA says if this happens, APOPHIS will return in 2036 on a impact course with earth.
APOPHIS is not big enough to be a Global Killer, but will still do massive damage where ever it hit.

2029asteroid.jpg

Aphophis-03-13-2029.jpg

apophisbig.jpg

In this gif. image you can see Apophis in the center moving left.

long1.gif

This is what it would look like from space.

apophis2.jpg

CantAffordMAC

Thats pretty crazy. But if they know all this information now, then by 2027 they should know where the asteroid will hit. That means that I'm traveling to the other side of the country/world. Until its over.

I'm not playing. lol

Willa

Damn it
I'm going to die at 49 years old

SOMEBODY CALL BEN AFFLECK!!!!
He needs to go back to space!

Willa

Anyway, untill then, soooooo many things can happen
I'm not worrying for that right now
lol.gif

But thanks for showing
smiles.gif

tiramisu

not only that, but who's to say that we won't completely have f*ed up the world by then in a plethora* of other ways, anyways... I am scared for my children and their children, truly.

*I think that is the first time I have ever used that word... how fancy of me LOL

Trunkmonkey

"Now, no matter where this thing hits ,even if it hits water it's still hitting land it will go deep into the ocean bedrock. So, if it is a pacific impact which it probably will. It will flash boil millions of gallons of sea water, create tsunami waves about 5 miles high. Flooding the pacific U.S. to Colorado. Japan is gone, Australia is wiped out."

*Stargazer*

So what you're saying, is that I should spend the year 2035 breaking every law I've ever wanted to disobey and not be too worried about coming to trial in 2036?

Wicked.

Divinity

Holy shit!! This is scary stuff! I'm not going to worry about it, but it is now definitely on my mind...crap.

purrtykitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkmonkey
"Now, no matter where this thing hits ,even if it hits water it's still hitting land it will go deep into the ocean bedrock. So, if it is a pacific impact which it probably will. It will flash boil millions of gallons of sea water, create tsunami waves about 5 miles high. Flooding the pacific U.S. to Colorado. Japan is gone, Australia is wiped out."

Mmmkay...I'll be fine. Nebraska's startin' to look real good, ain't it? Maybe I'll finally have that beach-front property I've always wanted!

MorningGlory

Have you read the NASA update? Predicting Apophis' Earth Encounters in 2029 and 2036?
The future for Apophis on Friday, April 13 of 2029 includes an approach to Earth no closer than 29,470 km (18,300 miles, or 5.6 Earth radii from the center, or 4.6 Earth-radii from the surface) over the mid-Atlantic, appearing to the naked eye as a moderately bright point of light moving rapidly across the sky. Depending on its mechanical nature, it could experience shape or spin-state alteration due to tidal forces caused by Earth's gravity field.

This is within the distance of Earth's geosynchronous satellites. However, because Apophis will pass interior to the positions of these satellites at closest approach, in a plane inclined at 40 degrees to the Earth's equator and passing outside the equatorial geosynchronous zone when crossing the equatorial plane, it does not threaten the satellites in that heavily populated region.
So no crime sprees for me
ssad.gif

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stargazer*
So what you're saying, is that I should spend the year 2035 breaking every law I've ever wanted to disobey and not be too worried about coming to trial in 2036?

Wicked.

I'mma have lots of sex, get really drunk, and wait for the impact baby.
winks.gif

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
I'mma have lots of sex, get really drunk, and wait for the impact baby.
winks.gif

Weren't you saying that like a month ago or something? That's been your motto for awhile, eh? You just conveniently have an asteroid to blame that behaviour on now.