Apple Cider Vinegar on acne?

VeXedPiNk

I've never heard of using it on acne, but I do know that drinking black tea mixed with a little bit of apple cider vinegar makes an excellent overall detoxifier.

Ralen81

I mix 1 part organic apple cider vinegar with 3 parts other liquid (aloe vera, rose water, lavender water, Lush tea tree water, or Lush breath of fresh air usually) and use it like a toner at night. If you have very sensitive skin or really dislike the smell, use up to 8 parts other liquid.

And it really works! I believe the apple cider vinegar works like an AHA, breaking up dead skin cells, and also cutting through and soaking up excess oil. It'll take the heat out of a sunburn too :)

MAC_Pixie04

Maybe this will stop people from rubbing food products on their skin...

I'm sick to death of picking up magazines and browsing websites and reading about people making skincare and healthcare out of cooking ingredients. Canola oil is NOT okay to rinse your hair with for shine. Vegetable oil and Vaseline are not suitable lubricants for engaging in intimate activity. And now we know that apple cider vinegar does NOT cure sunburn or rosacea (C'mon people, it's acid) or fight acne/oil.

Apple Cider Vinegar: Secret Beauty Potion?
Posted Fri, Jul 13, 2007, 9:39 am PDT
POST A COMMENT »
For as long as there have been folk remedies, apple cider vinegar has been touted as a cure-all for all kinds of skin and hair problems. True, the mild acid is natural, preservative-free, anti-bacterial, and about as cheap as beauty treatments come. But does it live up to its rep? We asked RealAge's skin- and hair-care expert, dermatologist Amy Wechsler, MD, about the four most common claims for apple cider vinegar and whether dousing yourself in its powerful (sour-ful!) scent is worth it.

True or False? To speed healing of sunburned skin, apply compresses dipped in cold apple cider vinegar.

False. "Rather than offering relief, this might really sting," says Dr. Wechsler. Basically, you're putting an acid on a burn. Ouch. "Instead," she suggests, "just soak the compresses in cold water or dip them in a mixture of cold water and whole milk -- the fat in milk is a good skin soother."

True or False? To restore shine to dull hair, rinse it in lukewarm water, douse with 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar mixed into a pint of water, then rinse it again with lukewarm water.

True. "The acid in vinegar washes away styling products that can cling to hair despite shampooing. Just be sure to dilute the vinegar in water for gentler action." Colorist Lana Gordon of the Cristophe salon in Beverly Hills seconds the doctor's opinion, but adds one caveat: Since the acid closes the cuticle of each hair strand, tresses are shinier but flatter. Inother words, you're trading a little less fullness for a little more gloss.

True or False? Dabbing on apple cider vinegar with a cotton ball is a good astringent for oily, acne-prone skin.

False. "Vinegar is much too drying to the skin's protective barrier. Plus it stinks!" says Wechsler. "If you want to go the do-it-yourself route, try making your own kinder, gentler toner of 1 part witch hazel to 3 parts water."

True or False? Apple cider vinegar helps control dandruff by killing off the fungus that causes it.

Maybe. "Some reports say cider vinegar zaps the microscopic critters, some say it doesn't. Until we know for sure, why give fungus more growing time when there are so many dandruff shampoos that will quickly solve this itchy, flaky problem? But if you want to try it anyway, use a concentrated rinse of 1 part apple cider vinegar to 3 parts warm water."

The payoff for doing things that really help your skin and hair? Far bigger than you'd think. Feeling good about how you look is essential to your self-esteem, and taking excellent care of your emotional health and well-being can make your RealAge as much as 16 (!) years younger

Dark_Phoenix

Re: Maybe this will stop people from rubbing food products on their skin...

Great article!!!

I hate it when people claim that Vaseline is good in hair overnight >.<
Okay... spend the extra two dollars and buy the jumbo size jar of Cholesterol. It's actually made for your hair.

melon21

i've heard of it being a good detoxifer which may help acne. I would drink a capfull everyday BUT get the one with "mother".I don't think i can stand putting it on my face because i can't stand the smell of vinegar. Another thing would be good for acne is taking probiotics.

I use thayer's witchhazel toner with aloe vera. I have two kinds. The lemon toner for the morning and the medicated one at night. I also use fruit of the earth Aloe vera gel as a moisturizer both day and night and it has worked really well at healing my acne.