Applied, and I'm a bit confused!!

Artphr33k

Allrighty. I'm kind of new in my town, but I have been doing make-up for a decent amount of time and I'm knowledgeable about MAC products and their names/uses, etc.

I applied at MAC (Dillards) about a month ago... I just went in, filled out an app with a resume, and turned it in. Chatted a bit with the girls and learned a bit about them (they complimented my outfit and purse
thmbup.gif
) and then left. I figured it would be nice, since I know if you're nice to them and whatnot they will definitely say nice things about you to whoever is on top of the hiring process, if they can.

Before I left, I asked if they were actually hiring, and the girl said "we are going to have a position available, so it would be good to apply".

But when I called about a week ago to ask on the status of my app, the artist said something like "we aren't allowed to talk about hiring procedures, or if there are positions available, but know that your application is kept on file"... i was like WTF because in my current job, 'on file' means on this huge cabinet, organized by month, just collecting dust and cobwebs.

are MAC MUA's really not allowed to talk about that stuff? Should I maybe try calling when the manager is there? is there anything I can do to stick to their minds so maybe my application & resume will be looked at more carefully??

thanks!
winks.gif

amoona

We aren't allowed to talk about that stuff. Saying your resume is on file means that your resume is on file. The only times I've seen a resume thrown out is if the person is nutzo or the resume is unprofessional. Just because someone said there was going to be a position avaliable doesn't mean there is one avaliable. MAC often hires from within so a freelancer may have taken the position or someone could have transferred into that location.

Artphr33k

There is also a counter at Nordstrom, in the same mall. Do you guys know, if I was looking for a job at their counter, would I have to apply there? or does the application count for both counters?

does it vary from store to store/counter to counter?

amoona

Nordstroms employees aren't actually seen as MAC employees so if you were interested in working for a MAC counter at Nordstroms then you'd need to apply through Nordstroms.

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoona
Nordstroms employees aren't actually seen as MAC employees so if you were interested in working for a MAC counter at Nordstroms then you'd need to apply through Nordstroms.

I'm sorry but you are wrong with this. I was a MAC employee working at a Nordstrom counter and I wasn't treated any different. I applied at the MAC store but there was a position available at the Nordstrom counter, so I accepted it. Please don't tell people that. That's not right. Yes, I am getting upset, we get the same training as everyone, we are just in a position where Nordstrom wants to manage all the employees unlike Macy's, etc, don't have an issue with it.

FacesbyNiki

And also, just because Nordstrom might want you for the MAC counter, doesn't mean you'll get the job. MAC still has the final word on who represents them.
smiles.gif

Artphr33k

i think she only meant that if you wanna work at the MAC counter at Nordstrom, you need to apply through nordstrom.

either way, i did, and i'm gonna go there tomorrow and hand THEM my resume too. i just wanna work for MAC. mac is mac!
smiles.gif

calbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacesbyNiki
I'm sorry but you are wrong with this. I was a MAC employee working at a Nordstrom counter and I wasn't treated any different. I applied at the MAC store but there was a position available at the Nordstrom counter, so I accepted it. Please don't tell people that. That's not right. Yes, I am getting upset, we get the same training as everyone, we are just in a position where Nordstrom wants to manage all the employees unlike Macy's, etc, don't have an issue with it.

Oh no - I gotta agree with her on this one. I know for a fact that we are seperated and not by the everyday employee. Our MRO made it very clear that there are MAC employees (store, Macy's, etc) and Nordstom Mac employees. She made it a point to point that out in a little speech she was giving about the differences in the Impact Teams (nordies will have a seperate one). Also, I know at our last update - the Nordies employees were not allowed to go at the same time everyone else. There are definite differences.

We employees don't see it that way - but management definitely does.

eponine

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear
Oh no - I gotta agree with her on this one. I know for a fact that we are seperated and not by the everyday employee. Our MRO made it very clear that there are MAC employees (store, Macy's, etc) and Nordstom Mac employees. She made it a point to point that out in a little speech she was giving about the differences in the Impact Teams (nordies will have a seperate one). Also, I know at our last update - the Nordies employees were not allowed to go at the same time everyone else. There are definite differences.

i think management only sees things that way because nordies wants to have their hands in things more than other partnered locations. for example, when you said that nordies people weren't "allowed" to go to update at the same time as everyone else, it was probably due to some big nordstrom thing. in our region, nordies had to go to update later than everyone else because of inventory, not because we're not mac employees or because we don't get to learn the same info as everyone else.

amoona

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacesbyNiki

My bad girl but in our region they always say that MAC girls/guys at Nordstroms aren't MAC employees they're Nordstroms employees. They don't always go to the same trainings as we do, they go to basic but not always update. Calbear and I are in the same region and we went to update together and like she said Nordstroms employees were not allowed to come to update. Nordstroms wouldn't allow them to, they didn't want to pay them for that time. They aren't allowed to try out for Passport either - which is a huge annual fashion show in SF that MAC does the make-up for. Maybe it's region to region but here there is a huge difference between MAC employees and Nordstrom MAC counters.

I never said they're less qualified then a Macy's MAC counter, just that technically they are employeed by Nordstroms. I'd never say that anyone of them are less qualified, that was certainly not the point of the post.

calbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eponine
i think management only sees things that way because nordies wants to have their hands in things more than other partnered locations. for example, when you said that nordies people weren't "allowed" to go to update at the same time as everyone else, it was probably due to some big nordstrom thing. in our region, nordies had to go to update later than everyone else because of inventory, not because we're not mac employees or because we don't get to learn the same info as everyone else.

see in our region - nordies never goes to update with the rest of us. not to say that they don't go at all or get the same training but there is definitely a difference in the eyes of management. Even with the whole Impact Team issue - the fact that Nordies will have their own is just another seperation.

Artphr33k

That sucks that Nordstroms is so lame about the thing in SF
ssad.gif

its not like they are less qualified or anything

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear

Not in my region. We are all treated the same. I just didn't like that she put that information out there as pure fact when as you can see, it's not. She should've cleaned it up by saying in her region because not all regions are the same. IMO

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoona
My bad girl but in our region they always say that MAC girls/guys at Nordstroms aren't MAC employees they're Nordstroms employees. They don't always go to the same trainings as we do, they go to basic but not always update. Calbear and I are in the same region and we went to update together and like she said Nordstroms employees were not allowed to come to update. Nordstroms wouldn't allow them to, they didn't want to pay them for that time. They aren't allowed to try out for Passport either - which is a huge annual fashion show in SF that MAC does the make-up for. Maybe it's region to region but here there is a huge difference between MAC employees and Nordstrom MAC counters.

I never said they're less qualified then a Macy's MAC counter, just that technically they are employeed by Nordstroms. I'd never say that anyone of them are less qualified, that was certainly not the point of the post.

No problem, it just came off that way. Over on this side of town, we are all treated the same.