Applying makeup to eye area - what to avoid?

ShesAFoxyLady

Hi all,

When talking to an MA yesterday, she mentioned how you shouldn't apply foundation to the eye area. I'd never really thought of this, and I must admit I apply my studio fix fluid to my eye area everyday (after eye cream)
blush-anim-cl.gif

I'm now wondering what I should do instead?

* Should any makeup be applied to the eye area? If so, what is best - just a concealer? (I'm busy trying to decide on a concealer for undereye circles, hence why I was speaking to the MA in the first place!)
* How about putting MSFN over the concealer - would that be too drying for the eye area?
* Is it okay to put foundation on any of the eye area, i.e. below or on the lid, or is the whole area a 'no-go' zone?

I'd appreciate any advice on the best practices for doing a full face of makeup without running the risk of damage around the eyes.

Thank you
thmbup.gif

ShesAFoxyLady

No, it was not to do with tugging/pulling. It's because the ingredients in the foundation are not made for the delicate eye area. As far as I can tell from google, this is due to the high talc content of foundation which can dry out the eye area and cause wrinkles.

That's why I was wondering if MSFN would be okay to use as a setting powder for concealer, as I've read that you should use a setting powder that has been specially formulated for the eye area otherwise, again, you risk causing wrinkles due to the high talc content in normal powder products.

Anyone else know more about this & care to elaborate?

P.S... I agree about makeup not looking even/finished without foundation on the eye area - that's why I do it too! I'm going to get a concealer to use instead - any ideas if concealer can also be used on the top lid?

mayflower

Wow, interesting.. I never thought about it like that. I do use foundation on upper lids aswell, but I guess we could a concealer or a skin-coloured base.
As for undereye circles, mine a pretty dark, so I try to balance it out with my concealer first, then apply my foundation on my whole face and blend it into the undereye area, because I feel like I'd go to far with the foundation if I used the concealer afterwards. Things usually ended up being a cakey mess. I also use a colour-correcting powder for dark circles, just to give the concealer a little boost.. then my MSFN on the rest of my face.
I guess I just have to always work on my undereye circles a lot, or I could skip that and use the extra time to actually get some sleep for once :D