Applying to various makeup counters??

glitch

I was just wondering if applying to various makeup counters would be the same/similar process of applying to MAC.. for example if I were to apply at Lancome, Cargo or something in a department store. Also, do you need a portfolio to apply to all makeup places?

any general tips would be great. thanks!!

MissKaylee*

lol i want to know too !!! im applying at clinique soon, just to get some experiance in the line so i can get a job at MAC !

lovedust7

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch
I was just wondering if applying to various makeup counters would be the same/similar process of applying to MAC.. for example if I were to apply at Lancome, Cargo or something in a department store. Also, do you need a portfolio to apply to all makeup places?

MAC "leases" space in the various dept stores and u have to apply directly to them and the counter you would like to work at. For any other lines you would have to apply to the HR dept in that store as they are employed by the store itself.

pinkfeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch

you need nada experience and with me I didnt get a choice of counters they stuck me at Estee Lauder ( which I hated but gained experience beyond my wildest dreams and I dont mean make up application!).

I applied at HR and if there is MAC counter at the same store, I will tell you its hard to get moved to another counter like MAC, Bobbi Brown etc from the same store or dept - dont know why but managers are just bitches about it no matter how good you are unless you totally kiss ass and they really really like you and even then its tough they seem to always hire outside.

At my store we all wanted BB since it was such a high rate of pay without commission and we applied for openings - one position got filled by a girl right outta highschool with NO experience, really unheard of at BB.

as for the other counters its all about selling, not really doing makeup, you can learn that on the job, my questions at my interviews were " can you lie to a customer? can you sell? can you make your goals ? can you add on items to make the sales higher etc. crap like that.

Good luck, and working in cosmetics is not what it seems to be, even at MAC.