Are different Mascara Brands really that different?

Ursula

I was just wondering if anyone else wonders whether different brands are really that different or if it's all just a marketing gimmick?

gildedangel

No, mascaras in general are not that different from one another, what makes the difference to me is the brush. The different sizes of the brushes can help you get the effect that you want.
For makeup in general, some brands are not that different because they are owned by the same companies. For example Estee Lauder owns a whole crapload of brands including MAC and Clinique. For example Clinique's makeup removers are the same as the MAC ones (IMO) in different colors, packaging, and prices.

Ursula

Yeah, that makes sense. I think I agree. So what is everyone's favorite brands and brush, and why?

reem2790

i saved my diorshow brush and use it in all my other mascaras because i love it so much
smiles.gif

kariii

Plushlash mascara by MAC is my HG, i always go back to it no matter what.. I think mascaras can be different in consistency .. some run more watery than others.. some are thicker.. some make a HUGE difference because the black is more carbon than a grey black.. but like other mentioned.. most importantly, the brush.

gigiopolis

For the most part, I don't really notice a HUGE difference in my lashes when I switch between several mascaras that I like. However, there's obviously going to be the mascaras that suck, but I can never pinpoint why it is. Big brushes have both failed and worked on me. Same goes for small ones. And the same with fibre mascaras. You just never know...the combination of factors makes it so hard to tell (at least for me).

To me though, formula is always more important than the brush, because my biggest pet peeve (not just for mascara, but for ALL makeup) is smudgy mascara. If a mascara smudges on me I am NEVER, EVER using it again. I would seriously rather have a mascara be somewhat clumpy or make my lashes droop than use a fantastic mascara that smudges.

InspiredBlue

One type of mascara that isn't all the same as the others is the kind that is "waterproof" in normal conditions but comes off in with water above 38 degrees celsius.

Up until recently Kanebo had a patent for the formulation, and their 38' mascara was the only one, but since they don't have the exclusive right to it anymore a lot of new ones have popped up. Fiberwig is one example, and Clinique's is my current favorite.

I really like this type of mascara for days when I don't wear any other eye makeup, since it doesn't need remover and just drops off in little pieces when I wash my face.

RedRibbon

My favourite brush types are the big ones and the ones which come with defined bristles. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Maybelline's Colossal, Boots 360 Lash and Prestige's My Biggest Lashes but then Benefit's Badgal has a chunky brush and that does nothing for me at all.

I've definitely noticed that some mascaras are thicker than others and I've had to water them down a bit with Optrex and they've come on great after that. I don't curl my lashes as they're pretty long and my eyes are hooded so the lash would touch skin but by using the mascaras above, I still get the really open eyed look.

Shadowy Lady

well, like everyone mentioned the brush is the most important part of making a "good" mascara. I don't like when brushes are too tiny and it takes forever to put mascara on.

I find some mascaras, such as Maybelline's to be runny on me. So the formula def plays a part as well. I have naturally long and full lashes so i'm not very picky about mascaras. As long as I don't have a reaction to them (I wear contacts), I'm fine.

I would say my faourite high end is Lancome Hypnose (i use this when i go out) and for everyday use I wear CG Eyelight (I use hazel coz of the gold and green flecks in my eyes).

cocodivatime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursula
Yeah, that makes sense. I think I agree. So what is everyone's favorite brands and brush, and why?

My favorite is Lancome Defencils. It makes my lashes longer and seperates them like no other masacra and I've tried tons

My least favorites are MAC Zoom Lash, Cargo Texas Lash and Tarte mascara. They all made my lashes one clumpy mess. I keep trying to give Zoom Lash more tries but it has not worked for me yet

Latest posts