Are split/burnt/broken ends really related to hair growth.

Robby_Raynebow

It makes absolutely no sense that the ends of your hair effect the roots. Can someone explain it to me. Is it just a myth?

ashleydawn

well they don't affect the root but the reason they affect growth is if your hair grows an inch, and 1/2 an inch breaks off the end of the strand, it ends up looking like your hair only grew 1/2 as much as it did. make sense? or if its breaking as much as its growing, then it looks like it hasn't grown at all.

User38

a trim always helps hair look healthier by removing the dead ends. In reality all the hair outside of your scalp is dead but it should not look dead or whatever hairdo or color you choose will not look as beautiful as you want it to
greengrin.gif

CantAffordMAC

Yes, as others said, your hair grows from the root. However, if it grows an inch in a month, and u have split and damaged ends, then ur hair is going to split UPwards and keep getting damaged further up the strand, causing ur hair to suck and break off and not maintain the length that it grew. If u get even just a dusting every once in awhile, or a trim every 6 weeks, thats whats best for your hair. My hair grows super slow, but lets say it grew an inch every month.....if I get a trim every 6 weeks, then in 12 weeks, my hair will have grown 3 inches, and if im only getting a quarter of an inch trimmed off, then I still have a total of: 2 1/2 inches of new growth that u KEEP, because ur hair is healthy and not splitting upwards.

Wow, Im not even good at math lol

MACLovin

Yeah, if you don't at least trim off a little bit, even if you grow your hair out it's gonna look like crap if several inches are a mess of split ends. =/

it's the vicious cycle of trying to grow your hair out.. i'm in it right now! i got my last trim the end of March, so I'm waiting until at least 6 weeks to get another one, maybe a couple more. it sucks but you have to do it, even if you lose a little bit of length.

*sigh* one day i'll have long, cascading hair down to my booty.. haha
tong.gif

Jessica0984

I've had split ends eventually go half way up my hair shaft. So now everytime I go in for haircolor i get my hair trimmed.

Very helpful, I have decided I want to grow my hair long again after 4 years of having short locks. I got a trim the other day and am now trying to minimize my use of hairdryer/straighteners as well as not washing my hair every day to get some of the natural oils back. Fingers crossed I will have some decent growth for summer :)