Are u smarter than a 5th grader?

gildedangel

I have seen far worse on this show, you would be amazed at how little general knowledge the general public has. When I went to school in a different state, (I am from the western US), people asked me if I ride horses to school. People from other states in the US. Because cars totally just jumped over my state on the way to California....

Willa

Some american tourists were asked here in Mtl by the tv about our province (Quebec, in Canada) and some of them thought we were part of the US!!!

Come on...

A friend of mine thought Brasil was in Europe. Sad...
And it's not the first time I hear somebody who thinks Europe is a country, as many people think Africa is a country...

o_0

JULIA

Ugh, that's absolutely disgusting. We are so incredibly advanced when it comes to technology and innovations but yet people manage to stay so flipping dumb.

I'm not American, but I'm going to assume that the reason people just aren't seeking to learn and/or educate themselves is because of the values America maintains. It's like, "no...You can be anything without education. Sell yourself and you'll do well." To be honest, I'm more impressed by the kid who knew Hungary was a country than Ms. Pickler's singing ability.

But then again, this may also be due to the US's failing education system. IDK.

I just can't imagine living my life without ever wanting to learn; it makes me so sad that people willingly abandon the pursuit of knowledge
ssad.gif

MAC_Whore

The US is so huge and somewhat geographically isolated that a lot of people just don't see the importance of that knowledge. Sad, but true. However, I wonder how many people in Europe could name all 50 states? Probably not many.

The US and Europe are very close in size. If you look at the land mass of the US (3,794,066 sq mi ) and the land mass of Europe (3,930,000 sq mi), states in the US and countries in Europe are geographical distance facsimilies. Do all Europeans know all 50 states? Is that equally sad? To assume each state or region of the US is the same is a total misconception. People love to thumb their noses at the "ugly American" to the point where there are unreasonable stereotypes and unequal expectations.

This isn't a phenomenon that is limited to the US. I was actually in Budapest at a hotel cab station and listened to a one guy tell another that he really liked Budapest and didn't even know that Budapest was a country until he had to go there that week on business. Really? Never been a country, dude. I hope your business isn't map making.

JULIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa
Some american tourists were asked here in Mtl by the tv about our province (Quebec, in Canada) and some of them thought we were part of the US!!!

Hmm, that reminds me of Rick Mercer's "talking with Americans." It's boggles my mind that people assume we still live in igloos and that we don't have electricity. Somehow they also think we all ride around with sled-dogs.
th_LMAO.gif

Shadowy Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by JULIA
Hmm, that reminds me of Rick Mercer's "talking with Americans." It's boggles my mind that people assume we still live in igloos and that we don't have electricity. Somehow they also think we all ride around with sled-dogs.
th_LMAO.gif

I love Rick Mercer, too funny
th_LMAO.gif

Regarding the OP, I can totally believe this, I've see worse. Honestly it's sad when ppl don't have general knowledge, but it's even more sad when you educate them and they still insist on remaining in the dark. This is one my pet peeves, it drives me absolutely nuts. But I have to get used to it I guess as there's way too many ppl that would annoy me otherwise.

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy Lady
....it's even more sad when you educate them and they still insist on remaining in the dark. This is one my pet peeves, it drives me absolutely nuts. .....

That is sad. I also find it sad when people just don't have any desire to learn or expand their horizons.

I admit this: I make mistakes. I also admit that in this world, there are volumes upon volumes of items I don't know, BUT...at least I work to keep learning. People that don't see the value of continued learning are doing themselves a huge disservice, IMO.

Oh...and they end up looking like jackasses on Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader/You Tube/Specktra. lol

Willa

Quote:
th_LMAO.gif

I used to have penpals all around the world when I was younger
How many times I had to explain that we actully live modern here?
th_LMAO.gif

OneDollarBuddha

She's got to be playing it up, at least little bit. Isn't that part of the appeal of that show? Adults are clueless while the kids know the answers? I don't often watch, but everyone seems like people are supposed to struggle.
I'm not surprised that she didn't know the country, but her reaction seemed a bit too hammy... if that makes sense.

Nicala

Quote:
But then again, this may also be due to the US's failing education system. IDK.

I'm in high school right now in the US and the school standards are no where near high. I hardly learn anything (I'm taking my classes online now and I have learned SO MUCH MORE!). If American schools had higher standards compared to other countries (like the UK with rigorous classes) people would have a better knowledge. I used to despise learning till I realized how much it was needed to get through life, now I'm taking AP & classes at the local community college to challenge myself even more! I think schools should fix their curriculum and make it more challenging.
yes.gif
The more knowledge, the better.

It's hard to believe how people get through life with little knowledge compared to those with more knowledge. Dear god. That is ridiculous.
angry.gif

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Whore
The US is so huge and somewhat geographically isolated that a lot of people just don't see the importance of that knowledge. Sad, but true. However, I wonder how many people in Europe could name all 50 states? Probably not many.

The US and Europe are very close in size. If you look at the land mass of the US (3,794,066 sq mi ) and the land mass of Europe (3,930,000 sq mi), states in the US and countries in Europe are geographical distance facsimilies. Do all Europeans know all 50 states? Is that equally sad? To assume each state or region of the US is the same is a total misconception. People love to thumb their noses at the "ugly American" to the point where there are unreasonable stereotypes and unequal expectations.

This isn't a phenomenon that is limited to the US. I was actually in Budapest at a hotel cab station and listened to a one guy tell another that he really liked Budapest and didn't even know that Budapest was a country until he had to go there that week on business. Really? Never been a country, dude. I hope your business isn't map making.

I don't think it's a fair comparison - most people wouldn't be able to list all 50 states of the USA in Europe but that's like expecting people to know all the states/cantons/provinces of European countries. Land mass doesn't have much to do with it, a sovereign country still has much more importance than a US state. Would a US person be able to list all the provinces of Canada? Highly doubtful, even though the provinces are much larger than most of the US states. I don't think it's really important to know all the US states, I mean what relevance does that have on a global scale? But I do think knowing world geography is much more important.

Obviously in that clip, that is one very dumb girl, and we shouldn't generalize. But I have to say it does often astound me that the average American doesn't seem to know a lot about world geography in general. Not all, but many - that is just the experience I have had when I spent time in the States, talking with peers. Probably the education system is partly to blame - I don't think it's fair to say that Americans are "just stupid" that would be silly. I think maybe more emphasis should be put on world affairs or world geography. You have no idea how many Americans have asked me if I am "Swedish" because I live in Switzerland - they have no clue that Sweden and Switzerland are completely different countries that aren't even close to each other. It's kind of mind boggling to me.

But I agree - there are dumb and ignorant people everywhere.

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
I don't think it's a fair comparison - most people wouldn't be able to list all 50 states of the USA in Europe but that's like expecting people to know all the states/cantons/provinces of European countries. Land mass doesn't have much to do with it, a sovereign country still has much more importance than a US state. Would a US person be able to list all the provinces of Canada? Highly doubtful, even though the provinces are much larger than most of the US states. I don't think it's really important to know all the US states, I mean what relevance does that have on a global scale? But I do think knowing world geography is much more important........

Conversely, would most Canadians be able to list all 50 states? Since you asked.

Land mass was just a snapshot to illustrate that as an area, states are to the US, what contries are too Europe (distance-wise).

It is more important to know, on a whole, geography as a snapshot of each country, I agree and I never said otherwise. What I am illustrating here is the fact that people tend to know what's in their immediate area. People in Europe tend to know what's in their immediate area. People in Asia tend to know what's in their immediate area. People in the US tend to know what's in their immediate area. This is all normal. Due to the fact that the US is rather huge, what's around us is 50 states, Canada and Mexico. Just because what happens to be around European countries is a lot of other European countries doesn't make anyone in the US or Europe more or less educated, it simply means different geographical circumstances.

Nutshell: Most people know what is immediately around them. Somehow people see that as ignorant when it occurs in the US, but it is apparently much more palatable and chic if you are European and your knowledge of your immediate surroundings consist of European countries.

When traveling and living in Europe, DH and I were mistaken for Irish, British, Australian, Belgian and German. It goes both ways.

Well have to agree to disagree.

*Stargazer*

Quote:

Yes.

Quote:
th_LMAO.gif

Ehh, I've been asked, seriously, by people I've met in my travels if I rode a horse to school or knew JR Ewing because I'm from Dallas.

Stupidity knows no nationality.

And let's be honest here, Kellie Pickler didn't have the world's most privileged upbringing.

Shadowy Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
I don't think it's a fair comparison - most people wouldn't be able to list all 50 states of the USA in Europe but that's like expecting people to know all the states/cantons/provinces of European countries. Land mass doesn't have much to do with it, a sovereign country still has much more importance than a US state. Would a US person be able to list all the provinces of Canada? Highly doubtful, even though the provinces are much larger than most of the US states. I don't think it's really important to know all the US states, I mean what relevance does that have on a global scale? But I do think knowing world geography is much more important.

But I agree - there are dumb and ignorant people everywhere.

I totally agree, knowing where countries are is much more important than knowing the 50 states, at least to me this true. I appreciate that US is a powerful country and definitely creates a lot of buzz and hence a lot of ppl know more about the US than the Americans know about the world. I also believe there are some very intelligent ppl in the US who make the country what it is. However irrelevant this might seem to some ppl, I think not knowing enough about the world you live in can harm you in the end. If you don't know enough, you can easily be manipulated, just refer to history...

Back to the 5th grader thing, I think a lot of folks might play their intelligence down for the camera (at least I hope that's what it is). Maybe if ppl appear to know less than the kids the show is funnier to the audience
th_dunno.gif

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy Lady
I totally agree, knowing where countries are is much more important than knowing the 50 states.......

Not directed at you, ShadowyLady:

I agree, but to clafiry, that is not the point I was trying to make.

user79

Quote:
Conversely, would most Canadians be able to list all 50 states? Since you asked.

Oh probably not many, but that was my point - it's not relevant. I would not expect someone from the US to know all our provinces, same way I would not expect a Canadian to know all 50 states. This is of national interest mostly, not really important in general knowledge to people outside of said country.

Oh and btw what I said about people thinking Switzerland and Sweden is the same - it's not a case of mistaken identity, I'd tell them I live in Switzerland and they would say something like "Oh so you speak Swedish?" or say something about IKEA - lol They did not know that they are actually 2 different countries.

Quote:
What I am illustrating here is the fact that people tend to know what's in their immediate area. People in Europe tend to know what's in their immediate area. People in Asia tend to know what's in their immediate area. People in the US tend to know what's in their immediate area. This is all normal. Due to the fact that the US is rather huge, what's around us is 50 states, Canada and Mexico. Just because what happens to be around European countries is a lot of other European countries doesn't make anyone in the US or Europe more or less educated, it simply means different geographical circumstances.

Nutshell: Most people know what is immediately around them. Somehow people see that is ignorant when it occurs in the US, but it is apparently much more palatable and chic if your knowledge of your immediate surroundings consist of European countries.

I agree that one's immediate surroundings probably rank over knowing countries in Asia or the Far East or something, but the lack of knowledge in very basic geography I have witnessed from the average American worries me, especially as it is such a powerful country. I am sure there are many factors to blame, such as the media which tends to be very national-centric and maybe the school system where the curriculum maybe doesn't emphasize geography and world events enough? I don't know that's just a guess. I certainly don't think Americans are "too stupid" or anything of the sort to learn such things - it's probably a lack of exposure to these subjects. I mean, only 20% of all Americans have passports for foreign travel, and whenever I am in the States I immediately notice that the media has much more strong emphasis on local or national events and politics, international events are often only briefly touched upon - at least, not nearly as emphasized as in Europe or Canada.

I remember seeing a documentary once and many people on the street were randomly stopped and asked to pinpoint on a map, where Iraq is located - I was astounded most people couldn't even place the country their own nation was fighting a huge war against.

That said, when I traveled in Asia, many people also didn't know much about geography, and didn't know where Canada was, etc. But, I can't hold them to the same standards as the western world - many of these adults never had the opportunity to attend school as kids, or only got a very very rudimentary, basic education.

I do think world events and geography should play a much more important role in all schools, regardless of country. I think it can't hurt for all of us to know a little bit more about our "neighbours".

Makeup Emporium

I am from Canada and was on a cruise with my hubby and some friends. There were some people from the US sitting at the bar telling us a story. In the middle of the story the man telling it turned and asked us if we knew what lawns and lawnmowers were and if we had grass in Canada (because it was part of the story). Seriously...

To be fair one of his friends did turn around and say are you kidding; of course they do. But at least 5 of the group of 8 looked at us as if they really wanted to know the answer. The entire group was from West Virginia and they were all over the age of 25.

I can actually name all 50 states and have been to about 35 of them however I would have to say that I am not the norm. I travel alot. Most Canadians would not be able to name them all as it was not something that was covered in Geography in school. So unless you go out of your way to know it you wouldn't.

You get stupid people from every country and every city all over the world. The problem is the media seems to focus in on Americans for some reason??

Latest posts