Are u smarter than a 5th grader?

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
Oh probably not many, but that was my point - it's not relevant.....

Respectfully, still missing my point. It goes back to unequaled expectations, but I really don't feel like going into it again.

Quote:
...I agree that one's immediate surroundings probably rank over knowing countries in Asia or the Far East or something, but the lack of knowledge in very basic geography I have witnessed from the average American worries me, especially as it is such a powerful country. I am sure there are many factors to blame, such as the media which tends to be very national-centric and maybe the school system where the curriculum maybe doesn't emphasize geography and world events enough? I don't know that's just a guess. I certainly don't think Americans are "too stupid" or anything of the sort to learn such things - it's probably a lack of exposure to these subjects. I mean, only 20% of all Americans have passports for foreign travel, and whenever I am in the States I immediately notice that the media has much more strong emphasis on local or national events and politics, international events are often only briefly touched upon - at least, not nearly as emphasized as in Europe or Canada.....

The figure of Americans with passports is estimated between 20%-30%. To my knowledge, the Dept of State does not publish the official percentage of Americans that hold passports, so all numbers are estimates. To my knowledge they only publish the figure of how many passports are issued within a given year. That number is increasing steadily due to tighter travel restrictions.

Why is it so important that the "average American" holds a passport or travels? Can someone not educate themselves on another country's issues and culture without setting foot into it? Sure, to me, within my personal values, I feel it is important for me to travel, as I enjoy new experiences. However, if your "average American" is born in Wyoming or Maine or where ever and educates themselves, works hard and lives a good life, are they less of a person because they didn't know where Budapest was? Or because they didn't own a passport?

We also come back to geographical circumstance. As I said, within Europe, countries are about as far apart as states are here in the US. Europeans may need a passport to travel small distances, as it most often means traveling through another country. Most Americans have traveled a bit within their own country. Most have been to different states. If we required Americans to have passports to travel small distances within our country (and most likely crossing into another state), thus putting us on equal goegraphical boundaries with Europe, about 70% of us would probably have passports.

Again, back to geographical circumstance, when DH and I lived in Europe, we could hop in the car and drive to another country for dinner if we felt like it. It was no big deal. I was as expensive as a tank of gas (and yes, it required a passport). However, in the US, it is cost-prohibitive for many Americans to travel to foreign countries due to the distance. There's the cost of long flights, hotels, cars, meals, misc expenses, etc. It is simply easier and less expensive for most Europeans to visit a foreign country.

Another reason a lot of Americans never held passports is that the only countries that we are adjacent to, Mexico and Canada, did not require passports for certain types of travel. Obviously as regulations have tightened up, more passports are being issued.

Quote:
....I remember seeing a documentary once and many people on the street were randomly stopped and asked to pinpoint on a map, where Iraq is located - I was astounded most people couldn't even place the country their own nation was fighting a huge war against.

That said, when I traveled in Asia, many people also didn't know much about geography, and didn't know where Canada was, etc. But, I can't hold them to the same standards as the western world - many of these adults never had the opportunity to attend school as kids, or only got a very very rudimentary, basic education.

I do think world events and geography should play a much more important role in all schools, regardless of country. I think it can't hurt for all of us to know a little bit more about our "neighbours".

I'm sure a lot people within the handful of coalition countries may not be able to pinpoint Iraq. It doesn't lessen their feelings towards or involvement in (if applicable) the war. Documentaries also sway in whatever direction the editors and documentarians want them to. How many positive/correct responses did they edit out? That's like using reality TV to judge what life in America is like.

Agreed, everyone should study geography. As someone who attended American schools, I can tell you that it is taught there.

I appreciate education and would love for all Americans to embrace the geography and cultures of the world, but if some can't afford to travel or if some choose to focus their studies or attention on other matters, I understand. Everyone's circumstances and value systems are different.

Passport figures and documentaries aren't the best way to judge a person's circumstances, a country's educational system or their understanding of certain topics.

I too have been the subject of REALLY uninformed questions and statements about my country when traveling abroad. No, we don't all carry guns. No, all of the girls in California do not have fake boobs and dress like hookers. No, you can't drive to Hawaii.

aziajs

Ok, for one thing that is Kellie Pickler who is not the sharpest tack on a good day - and that's the joke of it. There are plenty of Americans who are that clueless, there are plenty more who are well educated. Overall the educational system here does suck, but there are also amazing schools. I don't know. I think a lot of it is really that Americans live in a bubble. It's not really ingrained in us that we should look at the world as a whole.

S.S.BlackOrchid

I saw that too, and was shocked.

I also thought the host was very rude to her. Yeah, she lacks in geography knowledge, but his comment was unnecessary.

Shadowy Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Whore
Not directed at you, ShadowyLady:

I agree, but to clafiry, that is not the point I was trying to make.

My apologies if I understood you incorrectly. I got a feeling that you were upset that all the guns are pointed to US when it comes to its citizens's knowledge of the world. And I would be too in your position. If you've heard comments that Americans are dumbass (pardon my french) I'm hoping that came from someone who didn't know Americans at all. What's dumb is to classify a whole country based on their "perception".

What I was saying is that Americans should still be better than that. I Give you an example. Say your kid came to you and told you that she got an F in History. You asked her how the heck that happened. Her answer: "well, my friends X, Y and Z also got and F". See where I'm going with this? Her friends getting an F is not an excuse for her to fail. The reasonable answer is to acknowledge that she failed and try to do better next time, not saying others are bad too.

So all I was saying that even if some other countries may not know about the US, don't you think Americans should still know about them? I think on the long term it will help the country prosper. And no I don't think Americans need to travel to these countries to know about them. Just log into the internet. Correct me if I'm wrong but most Americans have access to internet, right? As opposed to say Romanians, or Iraqis or Thais (just naming random countries here, not trying to offend anyone).

Hope I was able to clarify myself
smiles.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeup Emporium
You get stupid people from every country and every city all over the world. The problem is the media seems to focus in on Americans for some reason??

I do agree with this, the media does that. Media actually fuels the stereotypes in general, not just the American ones...

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1LMAMAJ
is she acting stupid to get some laughs?

I think she does play up her airheadedness ( i know that's not a word). It's te way Jessica Simpson used to milk it.

MissCrystal

it doesn't bother me that she doesn't know the answer ... but what does bother me is that she didn't even know that budapest or hungary exist its so sad every1 should educate themselves but different countries and cultures... smh at her

Cinci

For interests sake, I could name 40 states (im not american).. thats more than what I thought I could do.. but i did sit and think about it for a few minutes.. I cant imagine that being put on the spot on tv would make it easy to remember anything!

kaliraksha

I think the media loves to show the absurd. I think that there are plenty of people in America who are smarter than a fifth grader, but guess what, no way they are being showcased in a show where you win their money if you are smarter than a 5th grader. Also, I can understand not knowing exactly where a country is or even the capitals... but not knowing that certain countries exist and which are continents... come on, we all had World Geography... we just aren't constantly bombarded with repeat information about it like we are about the specific states around us.

One thing for sure, they achieved what they wanted... it was hilarious and captivating to watch someone be that clueless.

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy Lady
My apologies if I understood you incorrectly. I got a feeling that you were upset that all the guns are pointed to US when it comes to its citizens's knowledge of the world. And I would be too in your position. If you've heard comments that Americans are dumbass (pardon my french) I'm hoping that came from someone who didn't know Americans at all. What's dumb is to classify a whole country based on their "perception".

What I was saying is that Americans should still be better than that. I Give you an example. Say your kid came to you and told you that she got an F in History. You asked her how the heck that happened. Her answer: "well, my friends X, Y and Z also got and F". See where I'm going with this? Her friends getting an F is not an excuse for her to fail. The reasonable answer is to acknowledge that she failed and try to do better next time, not saying others are bad too.

So all I was saying that even if some other countries may not know about the US, don't you think Americans should still know about them? I think on the long term it will help the country prosper. And no I don't think Americans need to travel to these countries to know about them. Just log into the internet. Correct me if I'm wrong but most Americans have access to internet, right? As opposed to say Romanians, or Iraqis or Thais (just naming random countries here, not trying to offend anyone).

Hope I was able to clarify myself
smiles.gif

I do agree with this, the media does that. Media actually fuels the stereotypes in general, not just the American ones...

Thanks, ShadowyLady. I appreciate your thoughful concern.

Not directed at you, but on a general note in response to the above:

I'm not upset about it, just bored by the same tired, old joke about the American not knowing where x or y is.

What boggles me is that to lump Americans into this category makes as much sense as assigning someone's inability to do something on their gender, the colour of their skin or the colour of their hair. Blonde jokes, anyone? You know most of you have heard one.

Like someone said, the media sells what will garner attention. In this case, they are buying into a tired, old joke. What's dangerous is that these tired, old jokes run the risk of becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy.

People shouldn't expect more of Americans than they expect of themselves. If you want to learn and make it a priority, you can do it. Regardless of where you are. I am not saying that some don't have it tougher than others, but we all control our own destiny. Adversity is a part of everyone's life.

My favourite thing is when I travel and someone feels the need to crack a joke about America/Americans. I mean, DH and I made it a point to drop a lot of money, learn about your culture & language and go way out of our way to come visit your country (wherever it may be) and you crack a joke. Yeah...that makes sense. I guess some people just to do it to feel better about themselves.

hello_my_apple

i dont know about any other american but i was slightly offended by this, "average american"? if thats not a generalization then i dont know what is.

there are idiots everywhere. period.

Latest posts