Are you still into MAC????

Howards End

Yes :) All my lipsticks are MAC, my fave brand hands down. All my eye liners/brow/shadows/mascaras are MAC except for 2 NARS Night Series e/s I'm going to invest in MAC 242, 224 brushes this year :)

shellygrrl

Staff member
Is MAC still your "go to" brand or do you prefer other brands now? Why or why not????
MAC still make some good products, but the emphasis on their Limited Edition releases is so hardcore these days that the permanent line is overshadowed almost completely. When's the last time they added eyeshadows to their permanent line, or reforumulated them to be better, for example? Why don't they have shades in all their foundation or concealer ranges lighter than NC/NW15 or darker than NC/NW55? Why isn't the Extra Dimension formula permanent? Why are their permanent brushes supposedly declining in quality? It's ridiculous to me. If they cut way back on their limited edition :censored: :censored:, do just four or so well-thought-out collections a year, and worked on their permanent range, it would do them a lot of good, IMLTHO. Meanwhile, other brands are releasing stellar products and formulas for a very wide range of skintones, leaving MAC in the dust. Other brands manufacture softer brushes and a wider range of them, at various price points. MAC isn't the be-all-end-all it once was.

K_ashanti

MAC still make some good products, but the emphasis on their Limited Edition releases is so hardcore these days that the permanent line is overshadowed almost completely. When's the last time they added eyeshadows to their permanent line, or reforumulated them to be better, for example? Why don't they have shades in all their foundation or concealer ranges lighter than NC/NW15 or darker than NC/NW55? Why isn't the Extra Dimension formula permanent? Why are their permanent brushes supposedly declining in quality? It's ridiculous to me. If they cut way back on their limited edition :censored: :censored:, do just four or so well-thought-out collections a year, and worked on their permanent range, it would do them a lot of good, IMLTHO. Meanwhile, other brands are releasing stellar products and formulas for a very wide range of skintones, leaving MAC in the dust. Other brands manufacture softer brushes and a wider range of them, at various price points. MAC isn't the be-all-end-all it once was.
Well said I agree especially about the collections

gildedangel

Meanwhile, other brands are releasing stellar products and formulas for a very wide range of skintones, leaving MAC in the dust. Other brands manufacture softer brushes and a wider range of them, at various price points. MAC isn't the be-all-end-all it once was.
^THIS!

I've been a hardcore loyal MAC fan for about 7 years now, but in the past few weeks I've gotten fed up and have started looking into other brands to start trying new products in as I run out (I actually have an UD order on the way lol). The craziness around the limited edition releases used to be exciting and fun, but at this point it's become such a drag. I remember the days where it took at least a few hours for a hyped LE product to sell out, now it's minutes. To me, it was so much more fun to stalk a collection thread, have the collection launch and everyone who was staying up and stalking with you to get what they wanted and for everyone to be super excited to get their goodies. Now it feels like you can hit F5 all day and you still may not get what you want. Makeup should be fun, not stressful. It's also easy to get overwhelmed with the over saturation of LE products MAC churns out, it's difficult to keep up anymore.

It's hard because MAC is a pretty safe bet all around. If I need X makeup product, I know I can find one that will work fine at MAC, whereas some other brands you have to pay more attention so you don't buy something that doesn't work well. However that doesn't excuse MAC from being (dare I say it?) downright boring in the permanent range for the past few years. A few things have been added here and there, but nothing really innovative that has taken the makeup world by storm. I agree that a reformulation of some of their products (matte and lustre eyeshadows, I'm talking to you!) is going to be necessary for them at some point. However, MAC continues to be a top name in the makeup game and I don't see them restructuring any time soon.

So am I still into MAC? Sure. Am I as diehard of a fan as I used to be? Nope.

nt234

Meanwhile, other brands are releasing stellar products and formulas for a very wide range of skintones, leaving MAC in the dust. Other brands manufacture softer brushes and a wider range of them, at various price points. MAC isn't the be-all-end-all it once was.
I completely agree. MAC has some serious competition now and they're not really doing much to step it up, imo...

javadoo

I like MAC, but I am not hardcore and I am in now way devoted solely to them.
I like a few of their shadows, but I mainly own (and love) UD shadows.
I have a bunch of MAC blushes that I LOVE, but my favorite blushes are all NARS blushes.

I don't understand the LE Collections and releases. Way too overhyped.
I wish they would add more colors to their permanent lines.

jennnzy

I think for me MAC will forever be a brand I can count on. I cannot handle the limited edition releases constantly but if there is something I am really dying for I will follow and get it. I just can always count on mac lipsticks to be not too overpriced and the formula to work for me :)

K_ashanti

I think for me MAC will forever be a brand I can count on. I cannot handle the limited edition releases constantly but if there is something I am really dying for I will follow and get it. I just can always count on mac lipsticks to be not too overpriced and the formula to work for me :)
Me too I have my staples I do not care too much about the collections anymore

TwiggyPop

I totally agree! They used to have so many great pigment colors and they cut half of them out. And it seems like whenever I see someone wearing a pretty lipstick, eyeshadow or blush they'll say its from MAC, but it was LE so you can't get it anymore. What's the point in even checking the MAC website anymore if we already have most of the stuff we want? If they would make some of their most popular LE items permanent then maybe I would start checking again. Lately I've been going back on the Sephora website and to their stores. There are so many more options there.

sagehen

Well said, and I want to add not only are they NOT adding to their permanent line, they are discontinuing a lot of permanent items and not replacing them, like darker shades of their foundations, REFINED DEEPER BRONZE (that one still hurts to this day), and items that are / were staples for people that those foundations served. That's a turnoff so it makes me look at other options. I love MAC, but at this point it's just a sentimental connection. I am experimenting with other brands more and more.

Jennifae

Specktra Bestie
They are actually adding some Extra Dimension eyeshadows to their permanent line, but I agree. MAC needs to step their game up!

AnitaK

Where I live we have limited options and being introduced to MAC is what really got me into makeup. With any brand, there are pros and cons. Most of my products are MAC but I am very controlled with what I get. I don't feel the need to get something from each collection and unless it is something I will use, I am not gonna buy it.

There are things that will turn anyone off I think...The excessive amount of collections, the rat race to get the very limited products from these collections, the discontinuations, etc. That being said, they do have great products and I think they need to think out their collections a little more, take their customers more into consideration, place some emphasis into their permanent line.

They are a great brand but maybe it is time they revamp a bit.

lipstickpd23

Mac is my favourite lipstick brand for matte/retro matte lipsticks and that's pretty much it. When I first started getting into makeup, Mac was my first stop but I then realized that I could find much better without the headache, give or take a few dollars. I despise most Mac foundations and concealers (with the exception of Face and Body) and would much rather buy these types of products from Nars, Armani or Dior. I prefer UD shadow palettes for their quality and convenience (I'm not too big on eyeshadows and these are right up my alley...yay for neutrals). I honestly find the rest of their products hit or miss (usually a miss). If I really like it, I'll buy it if and only if it doesn't sell out in 10 seconds. Some products I reach for are the Volcanic Ash exfoliater, Whisper of Gilt, Soft and Gentle, a few Mac brushes (again, you can find better), a few matte blushes (Melba, Harmony, Mocha, Prism, Desert Rose and Coppertone) and I think that's pretty much it. The only thing I go crazy for is lipsticks and with these last few collections, I find myself getting more and more tired and annoyed. Get your act together MAC!

Erica53094

I like MAC but other brands have the edge in terms of new or revolutionary products. I think it is their mistake or loss focusing so much on L.E. And tbh a lot of their limited edition collections aren't that limited in that a lot of it is from their permanent collection. Also it is almost impossible to get any of it bc those Ebay whores snatch it up and sell for a higher price. Just ridic. Too Face, Tarte, NARS are getting my interest these days!!