Art college help?

LoveMac26

(I'm pretty sure this is the correct place for this thread)

It's getting time for me to become really serious about colleges. For about 6 years now, I have wanted to become an interior designer. I know I want to go to college on the west coast (probably California). My only problem is...what college?? I have looked at and am interested in the Art Institute, Academy of Art, and FIDM, but I don't want those to be my only options.

So, I ask you interior design ladies (or really anyone who can help), does anyone know of good interior design college courses on the west coast? I just want to keep my mind as open as possible when I choose a school due to cost as well as quality of education. Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

brittanymorgan

i was going to go to the academy of art this fall but had to drop out. it is just too expensive. my parents financial aid didnt go through and i only got $1700 for my freshmen year. that wouldn't even cover my meal plan, so i had to drop.

i wouldn't reccomend this school unless you have $25,000 to drop on just one year of schooling. dont get me wrong, it looks like a great school, but i didn't want to be up to my neck in debt from school loans.

but i guess all art schools are extermely expensive.

LoveMac26

Great information. Thank you! But I definitely need some type of financial support to go to college. My parents don't have that much money for me to go to school. And I don't expect them to shell out that much either.

I am willing to go to any school that has a good design course, whether it be an art school or not. Is there a difference in course quality between an "art" school and a university/state college?

esmeralda89

well from what i know baylor university (in tx) has a design course but it takes 6 yrs and at ai it takes three to four years depending on how many classes you want to take and according to ai they are more updated and can get you a job faster but it also depends on what kind of design you want to do kitchen and bath which is just like being certified wheras interior design is an actual degree

LoveMac26

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmeralda89
well from what i know baylor university (in tx) has a design course but it takes 6 yrs and at ai it takes three to four years depending on how many classes you want to take and according to ai they are more updated and can get you a job faster but it also depends on what kind of design you want to do kitchen and bath which is just like being certified wheras interior design is an actual degree

I'm actually trying to do it all. Like whole interior house remodels & design, as well as possibly business interior design instead of just focusing on specific rooms. I am particularly interested in the Art institutes because there are many in California.

Can you answer a couple questions about the Art Institute for me? (You may not be able to answer both of them but any info is great))

Did you need a portfolio to get in? (I'm in the process of trying to make one, yet I am still kinda clueless about how to organize and things to put it in)

Was the admission process hard and what did it consist of? I have checked the website but I really want to be as prepared as possible (for any college I apply to).

timepiece

The problem you will most likely run into now is that most art schools cost a lot. In complete honesty, it almost doesn't matter if you're good at art or have a passion for it. It's how much you're willing to pay that is important.

A lot of "art" colleges will not have a sufficient education classes. Take for example FIT in New York, they have language and science courses but they're not exactly fantastic-or good. If you go to a college/university that has a good arts program but that is not their only focus-it'd be a safer bet you would recieve a fuller education. (Unless you are devoted to becoming an interior designer or you can get a scholarship to an arts school, I would suggest going to a regular school with a good arts program.)

Most schools when looking at a portfolio base it on many things, so try to keep your portfolio full of many different techniques or mediums. Oh, and many art schools ask for a sample of work you do on your free time such as a sketchbook, but I'm assuming you already know that.

Okay, I've gone on enough.
tong.gif

Stephie Baby

I attend the Art Institute in Chicago. I'm not an ID major, but I have friends who are. They really like the courses and programs offered. Overall, I really like the school as well. Most of them are remotely the same across the US. Some of the Art Institutes offer different types of majors though. The only down fall to any art school is the tuition cost. Most art schools are considered "private" schools. The bad thing about is that they are basically money based. Their main concern is making money. Although the Art Institute is pricey, there are tons of benefits that the school offers.

At the Art Institute, you can get a BA in 3 years, unlike state colleges. Also instead of going semesters (January-May) we go for 2 and a half months or 11 weeks per quarter/semester. Even though its shorter, you still learn alot. The graduation percentage is really high. The student to teacher ratio is super low. Its like 15 students per teacher, so you get alot of one on one help, if you need it. If you attend the Art Institute, they will give you this gigantic art kit as well!! Its pretty cool. It comes with Bristol board, markers, colored pencils, and all kinds of crazy art stuff.
tong.gif

I'll give you some advice though. DO NOT try to go to International Academy of Design and Technology. That school is the biggest joke and they aren't even certified in the important areas!!

Stephie Baby

Did you need a portfolio to get in?

I had to have one for AI. I also had to do a long interview. It was fairly easy though.

Was the admission process hard and what did it consist of?

Its really easy. Get registration papers and all the admission papers, fill them out. Get your high school to send in transcripts. Get your shot records. Fill out your FAFSA. Meet with a financial advisor to determine if you need a student loan. Meet with an academic advisor to pick your classes. Thats about it.

Theres no particular order as far as the paper work goes.

The big problem most students have is the student loan part. If a student doesn't get enough grants to cover tuition, the school helps the student with a loan. The only downfall is now since the economy is so bad, Sallie Mae and other lenders raised the credit score requirement. So its gonna be harder to actually get a loan, unless your family has really good credit scores.

LoveMac26

Thanks for all the help! So far it seems like my only problem is the money issue. Although I would love to go to an "art" college, I may have to settle for a state university with a good art program. I definitely don't have money to shell out for an art college unless I can get a loan or scholarship help.

Although if I do go to an art college, I would love for it to be one of the Art Institute campuses in California.

shauna_bear

I definitely have the same problem. I've been in college for three years as a biology major and I really hate it. So I decided to do what I have been wanting to do since high school, which is art. All I did in high school was draw and paint, all that good stuff. The school I'm looking at is OTIS College of Art and Design in Los Angeles. The only MAJOR problem is that its $40,000 a year.( i kno, ouch). But I'm trying to keep my options open as well as stay in the Los Angeles area since I cannot afford to move out of my grandparents house right now. But I'm sure financial aid will help.

LoveMac26

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauna_bear
I definitely have the same problem. I've been in college for three years as a biology major and I really hate it. So I decided to do what I have been wanting to do since high school, which is art. All I did in high school was draw and paint, all that good stuff. The school I'm looking at is OTIS College of Art and Design in Los Angeles. The only MAJOR problem is that its $40,000 a year.( i kno, ouch). But I'm trying to keep my options open as well as stay in the Los Angeles area since I cannot afford to move out of my grandparents house right now. But I'm sure financial aid will help.

Wow. That is a lot. After a bunch of research, I have finally started to expand the number of colleges I want to go to. Besides a couple of colleges in Oregon and Washington, I'm almost positive I want to stay in California. It's difficult for me to make a decision as my long-time boyfriend is going to go to college for football and I don't want to be far apart from him if I can help it. That said, I'm not going to give up the colleges I want to go to just to be with him. It would just be nice to be closer rather than long distance.

Okay, enough rambling.

Congratulations for following your dreams and pursuing art. There are many art colleges in Los Angeles that I have found from my research, but since L.a is so big, I guess it will still be kind of difficult finding one near you.

Good luck getting into OTIS!
yes.gif

shauna_bear

Wow. That is a lot. After a bunch of research, I have finally started to expand the number of colleges I want to go to. Besides a couple of colleges in Oregon and Washington, I'm almost positive I want to stay in California. It's difficult for me to make a decision as my long-time boyfriend is going to go to college for football and I don't want to be far apart from him if I can help it. That said, I'm not going to give up the colleges I want to go to just to be with him. It would just be nice to be closer rather than long distance.

Okay, enough rambling.

Congratulations for following your dreams and pursuing art. There are many art colleges in Los Angeles that I have found from my research, but since L.a is so big, I guess it will still be kind of difficult finding one near you.

Good luck getting into OTIS!
yes.gif
[/quote]

Thanks!..I've been working on my portfolio for years now so hopefully that will help. I'm just now sure about the school because $40,000 a year is sooooooo much. It doesnt help that OTIS is a private-four year school.

But thanks and good luck to you as well.

=)

esmeralda89

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMac26
I'm actually trying to do it all. Like whole interior house remodels & design, as well as possibly business interior design instead of just focusing on specific rooms. I am particularly interested in the Art institutes because there are many in California.

Can you answer a couple questions about the Art Institute for me? (You may not be able to answer both of them but any info is great))

Did you need a portfolio to get in? (I'm in the process of trying to make one, yet I am still kinda clueless about how to organize and things to put it in)

Was the admission process hard and what did it consist of? I have checked the website but I really want to be as prepared as possible (for any college I apply to).

First of all let me apologize fot taking a looooong time to answer

no you do not need a portafolio to get in at least at houston you dont that is why you are there to learn and build your portafolio

the admission procces is soo easy easier than the other universities i applied to (you know the looong aps.) its a big rectangular form but it dosent ask much just the basics i guess gpa etc and unlike the unis. it dosent really ask about extracurricular activities no hrs just listing them
and you pay 150 for your spot if you dont get accepted right away you get put on a list so when they have an open spot you can get in and they start new classes every quarter so you dont have to worry about it taking a long time to get in

some one else posted that you have to do an interview yes that is true but mine was really easy with questions like why do you like this, etc, i think it just depends on what admision person you get

well whatever you choose to do i wish you the best of luck, dont worry so much im sure youll do great!! if you have any other question pm me
thmbup.gif