At home hair color

Miss Ava Marie

I am on a budget and cannot drop 100 dollars to go get my hair done at the salon. Needless to say I have become quite the do-it-yourselfer.. I was wondering if you wonderful ladies had any tips or recomendations when it comes to at home hair color.. and don't worry I want to go darker not lighter ((everytime I've tried to go lighter it turns orange)).. If it helps at all I want to dye my hair dark brown with a tint of red
heart.gif
heart.gif
heart.gif

gildedangel

I recommend doing a strand test before you dye; it is incredibly helpful in judging how the color will turn out!

Honey xOo

I use Clairol Perfect 10. It looks so glossy just like salon color! Nobody can tell the difference and I always get asked where I get it done. Just make sure to follow the instructions and apply the dye to unwashed hair thats free of product for the best results.
smiles.gif

Miss Ava Marie

I have never tried that brand! I was thinking about going to Sally's and getting professional hair dye but that sounds better because I don't really know what I am doing as far as mixing on my own
winks.gif
I feel like an expert bc I watched a youtube video haha

BEA2LS

i had good luck with loreal.. and i have gone lighter, darker and red at home. the best thing is to go gradually.. do not change more than a shade or two at a time.

MzzRach

I love L'oreal's Feria - been using it for years. I mix a couple of shades to get the result I want.

Definitely do a strand test.
winkiss.gif
At home colour works best if you are not doing a dramatic change (going more than 2 levels from your natural level).

kdemers1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Ava Marie
I have never tried that brand! I was thinking about going to Sally's and getting professional hair dye but that sounds better because I don't really know what I am doing as far as mixing on my own
winks.gif
I feel like an expert bc I watched a youtube video haha

I've tried Perfect 10 and I don't like it. It only last 28 shampoos so it's not a true permanent color. I've used it before and it is fast dying time but I want my hair color to last and not wash out. So if you're looking for a permanent color Perfect 10 isn't that.

BEA2LS

yea.. sallys might be a good route, but many drugstore products are not bad at all.. my hair dresser (who is awesome!) always told me that she does not see paying all that money if you just wanna dye your hair a solid color.. she recommends professional coloring for highlights, covering grey or super drastic changes (though i have lightened my hair reallllly light by myself than went dark after with no problems.. i have been coloring my hair for 15 years though)

Superkaz

If you know what level colour your hair is now, and have chosen the colour you want to be, it is easier to obviously go darker as you are just putting the colour in.
I used to search the loreal hair colour section online to get an idea what i wanted my hair to look like.

Definitely do the strand test though.

I wont go anymore than 2 shades lighter at home, I know they say you can do up to 3 but get a little more worried.

Depending on the manufacturer of the colour you get, each company has different ratios when mixing the peroxide in.

Miss Ava Marie

Thanks everyone.. I have decided to pick up some Loreal dye and do it at home. I don't want anything dramatic my hair is already dark brown ((lighter on the ends)) and I'm just wanting a darkbrown w/ a red tint.. I will post pictures tomorrow to show you guys how it turned out.. Thanks for all the tips
greengrin.gif