Bacteria in powdery highlighters

Simply Elegant

I like to use a damp brush for applying my highlighter and I was wondering if this was okay to do. I don't want my face to break out from the dampness of the brush going back into the highlighter and I was wondering if it would cause lots of bacteria to grow.

lara

Unless you're really soaking the powder product, any moisture will evaporate quickly and negate the growth of bacteria. Generally the rule of thumb is that powder/dry products are inert (meaning not an environment that promotes bacterial harbouring), whereas creams and liquids are a bacteria-friendly place. The only exception to this are the various bacterial eye infections, where you should avoid handling any make-up during the visible time of infection and a week afterwards.

Good on you for thinking about sanitation, though!
smiles.gif

gummybug

I've heard of mold growing in pigments from wet brushes, but I don't know what it would take to get to that point.

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummybug
I've heard of mold growing in pigments from wet brushes, but I don't know what it would take to get to that point.

The addition of a generous amount of oil, skin flakes, unrefined glycerin... generally lots of organic funky stuff that shouldn't be there.
smiles.gif

Ella_

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
The addition of a generous amount of oil, skin flakes, unrefined glycerin... generally lots of organic funky stuff that shouldn't be there.
smiles.gif

Yep. Which is why I always scoop out a little bit of pigment with a sterile spatual when I want to use them.

I never used to but once in grade 12 science my teacher confiscated a cheap loose eyeshadow I had in my pencil case. Not because I wasnt allowed it, but to show me the gross stuff that was in there.

You should have seen the bacterial and spore culture after incubating for 24hrs it was revolting.

madricka

Cosmetics companies add a LOT of antimicrobial agents to their products to inhibit the growth of pathogens. Unless you're adding a ton of harmful bacteria into the product (like adding saliva to it), I wouldn't worry about it.
smiles.gif

Latest posts