Bad luck Bunny

joytheobscure

We have been having horrible luck with Rabbits at my house. My daughters first rabbit ran away last fall.... the second rabbit was just getting big and had a seizure the day before easter and died- my nine year old carried in this limp bunny asking what was wrong and could we take it to the vet (my sister). But it was gone
ssad.gif

Two weeks ago we bought two baby bunnies at Tractor Supply and they are just precious and tinier than the other two. My daughter's little bunny fell of the couch last saturday and temporarily paralyzed its back legs (its finally coming out of it) and Today my son's friend (five year old) THREW the other one (my rabbit) and bloodied its little lips and broke its back foot, I can't imagine the force the kid did, I am so mad about this little boy doing this to an animal, I sincerely hope he was just playing too rough and not trying to kill or hurt it. I think my son had a bit to do with it, but I am upset over this incident. I hope the little boy learned that he can't treat animals like they are toys....

we have renamed our white bunny he's "Brokeback bunny" (his back isn't broken really) but it suits him. I think next pet I will get will be a dog something sturdy... My sister said Rabbits are meant to be prey...

My bedroom has turned into a petting zoo with three baby kittens (my mutant kittens with extra toes) and two baby rabbits, I'm running out of laundry baskets.

pumpkincat210

Thats so sad! I feel for you and understand what your going through. I had a pet bunny I won at a carnival and it died after a week. I have horrid luck with cats too, they always run away.

Hawkeye

Wow. Did you talk to that kid and his Mother?!?
You probably should. I know I would've kicked that kid out of my house as soon as I found out about it

rubixio

Rabbits, especially young ones, should ALWAYS be supervised with small children. They dont usually understand how to handle them or that they are more fragile than a cat or dog.

I've had rabbits for 10 years now, so if you ever need help, you have but to ask
smiles.gif

roxybc

OMG! That is awful! I am a total animal lover, and if I saw a anyone do that to an animal I would have slapped them so hard it would make their head spin! I really hope you told the child's mother, because animal abuse in a persons child hood can signal that they are more likely to harm people when they grow up!

That being said, I really hope your rabbits are ok! I was just actually walking through the pet store today just to look at all the animals and I stopped for a bit to watch the sute little bunnies!

joytheobscure

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxybc
OMG! That is awful! I am a total animal lover, and if I saw a anyone do that to an animal I would have slapped them so hard it would make their head spin! I really hope you told the child's mother, because animal abuse in a persons child hood can signal that they are more likely to harm people when they grow up!

That being said, I really hope your rabbits are ok! I was just actually walking through the pet store today just to look at all the animals and I stopped for a bit to watch the sute little bunnies!

Oh yeah that totally went through my mind when I knew who had hurt it- he (the boy) had been rough with the kittens earlier.- but he'd always been sweet to our older animals. My little broke foot bunny is eating a little today but "brokeback bunny" is almost back to normal finally! I do not think I'll be having sleepovers for a while with all the kids. Thankfully I found another little boy who is a former classmate of my child today at a birthday party I took my five year old to.

I'm pretty attached to our rabbits, I guess because I never had rabbits as a child, we raised collies, pigs and cattle. My brother and sister gave me a hard time for crying over it when I brought it in, because normally hurt animals don't affect me that way (my sister is a veternarian and I grew up on a farm).

joytheobscure

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubixio
Rabbits, especially young ones, should ALWAYS be supervised with small children. They dont usually understand how to handle them or that they are more fragile than a cat or dog.

I've had rabbits for 10 years now, so if you ever need help, you have but to ask
smiles.gif

I'd like to have more rabbits but first we have to build the cages for more.. This is our first year with Rabbits, the first one got away- the second one was sweet but we figure that it may have had worms (they get them in the brain apparently)- We rushed in and got the first ones we found I was afraid they were too tiny.... These will be a 4-H project next year for my daughter.

What do you feed your rabbits? I got the standard bagged rabbit food and am supplementing them with lettuce and carrots.

MAC_Whore

I am so sorry to hear about your bunnies. Especially right before Easter! The bunny's big day. I hope everyone heals well. I think you are doing the right thing by keeping them in your room whilst they heal.

I think polydactyl cats are so adorable. There is just more of them to love!
smiles.gif

Quote:
Rabbits, especially young ones, should ALWAYS be supervised with small children. They dont usually understand how to handle them or that they are more fragile than a cat or dog....

I think this just applies to pets in general, including cats and dogs. It is too easy for a child to hurt an animal because they don't grasp how delicate they are. Kids loose focus, loose balance, get curious (in bad ways) and just lack the judgement. All of those factors can be dangerous to a small, or not so small, animal. I have a story about something that happened to my neighbor's dog that is just too sad to tell.
ssad.gif

rubixio

Quote:
Originally Posted by joytheobscure
What do you feed your rabbits? I got the standard bagged rabbit food and am supplementing them with lettuce and carrots.

Bagged food, but not the little bags at walmart, the 50lb bags from feed stores that are fresh. It's the best for them. Lettuce is not a good idea, it often gives them diarrhea and they can get dehydrated. My sister knew a girl who (foolishly) only fed her rabbit lettuce and it died within 2 weeks. The pellets should be the main food, with occasional vegetable/fruit/grass/etc.

I started out with 4H too! Rabbits are a great project and teach a lot of responsibility. I hope she has fun with it.

ps. Mac Whore, I agree with the all animals and kids thing. I meant that usually a larger dog is better off around a kid than something smaller, but not always.

joytheobscure

Quote:
Bagged food, but not the little bags at walmart, the 50lb bags from feed stores that are fresh. It's the best for them. Lettuce is not a good idea, it often gives them diarrhea and they can get dehydrated. My sister knew a girl who (foolishly) only fed her rabbit lettuce and it died within 2 weeks. The pellets should be the main food, with occasional vegetable/fruit/grass/etc.

I started out with 4H too! Rabbits are a great project and teach a lot of responsibility. I hope she has fun with it.

ps. Mac Whore, I agree with the all animals and kids thing. I meant that usually a larger dog is better off around a kid than something smaller, but not always.

Oh, thanks just went and pulled the lettuce- the food came from Tractor supply in a 50lb bag, I will stick to the pellets. Thanks for the advice I appreciate it, I'd hate to cause the demise of bunnies #3 and 4.

Latest posts