Balancing out MAC with donations...

lipglass_junkie

So I've been thinking for a while, and especially now that I am almost an independent human being (in college w/ job to pay everyday expenses and books, but tuition and housing still paid by parents) I feel like I need to start contributing to society and make it a better place. At the same time, I'm getting used to a steady (while still modest) income, and have been enjoying the chance to expand my stash.
yes.gif
But at the same time, I feel guilty to spend money on things I don't need when so many people need things.

So I decided match my MAC purchases with donations to a good cause. I just signed up to sponsor a child for $35 dollars a month. I plan a one-to-one match, so I'm also allowing myself up to $35 dollars a month to MAC and makeup. If I want to make a big haul, I need to be prepared to match it in a donation, like buying a goat or donating extra money through the organization that I am sponsoring the child through. Maybe once I have more of an income after college I can sponsor more children, but I wanted to be realistic and start from a point in which I know I can maintain and keep my commitment.

I definately didn't want to post this to preach, I know a lot of people have to focus on taking care of themselves at the moment. I simply wanted to share what I'm trying to do to balance doing what makes me happy materially and doing what I hope make a difference in someone's life.
winkiss.gif

fillintheblank

Thats a great idea, matching your purchases to donations! I think I'll make that my new rule...so is volunteering your time
thmbup.gif

enigmaticpheo

That is a great idea! I am a donation freak. Even if I have $2 left to my name, I'd rather donate it than spend it on me. I love causes like the Salvation Army, UNICEF, ASPCA, WWF, St. Vincent de Paul, Homeless associations, etc. But nearest and dearest to my heart are HIV/AIDS support foundations. I grew up in San Francisco's Castro district in the height of the AIDS epidemic; my first dance teacher died from AIDS the same year as my neighbor. I never want to see any person homeless or unable to pay for meds because of HIV/AIDS. I'm so glad there are more foundations coming to support them!

BEA2LS

that's very sweet of you
smiles.gif

people who give their time/money are really like angels on earth.

Latest posts