Banned from Australia because Child has Down's Syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shimmer

Hold on.
The country has a set of criteria for immigrants.
Quote:
In its decision, the Department of Immigration and Citizenship cited Lukas’ “existing medical condition,” saying it was “likely to result in a significant and ongoing cost to the Australian community,” according to a statement Thursday, as reported by CNN.

“This is not discrimination. A disability in itself is not grounds for failing the health requirement — it is a question of the cost implications to the community,” the statement said.

Yes, it's a cold thing to do.
But the criteria were established for good reason. I don't necessarily agree with their decision but I completely see how they made it.
Australia denies residency for dad of boy with Down syndrome - CNN.com

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette
Sucks to be an immigrant. This happened to us.

Could you elaborate on that?

Odette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Could you elaborate on that?

Sure. My brother and sister both have sickle cell anemia but, we were refused because of my brother's condition.

He was a lot more sickly than my sister was.

We were all nearly full grown anyway so we did not try again.

silverbelle282

wow. i am almost speechless.

trying to deny someone privileges and rights by enforcing residency requirements (or based on criteria such as race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, etc) is, in fact, de jure discrimination in the United States as deemed by the Supreme Court in several landmark cases, and i don't see in my humble opinion how anyone could not view this family's situation as discrimination.

for example, denying an attorney who has passed the New Jersey bar exam the ability to work in that state because she is a resident of New York. And no, you do not need to be a citizen of the U.S. to practice law here.

whether or not people think it's justified because they value other criteria (i.e., potential future economic loss if the New York lawyer makes money in New Jersey but spends it out of state) is an entirely separate inquiry.

it's especially saddening to me because in this particular instance, this family was in fact, fulfilling a need within the community.

i'm not sure what australia's welfare or health care systems are like, and i would like to hear it from someone who knows.

Shimmer

Wow. That's really hard. I'm sorry to hear that.
ssad.gif

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbelle282
wow. i am almost speechless.

trying to deny someone privileges and rights by enforcing residency requirements (or based on criteria such as race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, etc) is, in fact, de jure discrimination in the United States as deemed by the Supreme Court in several landmark cases, and i don't see in my humble opinion how anyone could not view this family's situation as discrimination.

for example, denying an attorney who has passed the New Jersey bar exam the ability to work in that state because she is a resident of New York. And no, you do not need to be a citizen of the U.S. to practice law here.

whether or not people think it's justified because they value other criteria (i.e., potential future economic loss if the New York lawyer makes money in New Jersey but spends it out of state) is an entirely separate inquiry.

it's especially saddening to me because in this particular instance, this family was in fact, fulfilling a need within the community.

i'm not sure what australia's welfare or health care systems are like, and i would like to hear it from someone who knows.

It's not considered (right now) discrimination because they're not being singled out. There's, for lack of a better phrase, a list of conditions immigrants would have to meet and the boy didn't meet them all.

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
It's not considered (right now) discrimination because they're not being singled out. There's, for lack of a better phrase, a list of conditions immigrants would have to meet and the boy didn't meet them all.

It may not be *considered* discrimination by their standards......But it is Discrimination in every aspect of the word....and it is deplorable and inhumane to say the least.

Shimmer

I don't necessarily agree. The govt's role isn't to act in the vein of a charity, it's to preserve the wellbeing of the union. The govt. went on record stating the reason for its decision, and the reasoning...while pretty cut and dry...is fairly sound. They have to look out for the entity as a whole, and one of the things they have to focus on is the impact an immigrant could potentially have for the country.

lizardprincesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette
Sure. My brother and sister both have sickle cell anemia but, we were refused because of my brother's condition.

I am soooo sorry. That really sucks.

You were refused by the US?

Quote:
He was a lot more sickly than my sister was.

I'm sorry.

Quote:
We were all nearly full grown anyway so we did not try again.

I wish you had tried again.
What you are describing is despicable and inhumane,
wherever it occurred.

CherylFaith

lizardprincesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
Yeah I see okay ...That justifies it.

Tish....you are kidding?
I think you are (being ironic).

Please do correct me if I'm wrong about your post.

Thanks,

CherylFaith

Edit: Thanks for confirming, Tish.

Shimmer

Quote:
Yeah I see okay ...That justifies it...NOT

I completely understand where you're coming from.
I'm not saying I agree with their decision.
I'm saying I see how they reached it.

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardprincesa
Tish....you are kidding?

I think you are (being ironic).

Please do correct me if I'm wrong about your post.

Thanks,

CherylFaith

I was absolutley kidding...I added the *NOT* because I thought people may not know I was j/k...
Heck No it does not justify it! I guess next they will kick their own people out if they have children with disabilities...This world is CRAZY!!! Maybe they need some Religious based governing!

PMBG83

Its discrimination. Its completely ridiculous. I dont agree with it one bit, nor do I understand it.

user79

My whole family had to have full health check-ups before we were allowed to emigrate to Canada. It's pretty standard procedure for most countries. Countries are getting more strict with immigration laws, and they want healthy citizens. In this case the doctor was fulfilling a need in the community, but the outrage that the family was not accepted is a bit unprecedented. While it may sound harsh, a country who has a choice between a completely healthy family, and a family where one or more members will probably need lifelong medical assistance - they will chose the healthy family because they can only accept a certain quota per year, I imagine.

user79

Quote:
It may not be *considered* discrimination by their standards......But it is Discrimination in every aspect of the word....and it is deplorable and inhumane to say the least.

Immigration laws are by definition discriminatory - picking out from a mass of hopefuls who will make the best residents. You are asking to live and maybe later become a citizen of a foreign country, it's not like you have any right to be accepted. Sure, I empathize with the family, but it's not something completely abnormal. So many people get turned away from attractive countries from immigration because there are way more people trying to get in than the country can accept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts