Barbie loves MAC Discussion

I hope I'm posting in the right part of the forum...

According to WWD.com (Women's Wear Daily) Mattel Inc. and MAC Cosmetics are expected to announce plans today for an "adult-target project" involving the Barbie brand, due to launch worldwide in the spring.

There are no further details yet.

Anyone heard of this before? I find this rather exciting.

UPDATED INFORMATION 12.25.06

Release date 2/15/07

Barbie for MAC collection will feature a Barbie doll. She can be currently be seen on eBay as a part of this auction.

6868_1.JPG
68b0_1.JPG

Color story
UK release info

burkle

MAC and Barbie collaboration project in Spring 2007

Mattel's Barbie to partner with cosmetics co. MAC Wed Nov 1, 1:32 AM ET

Mattel Inc. (NYSE:MAT - news) said on Wednesday that its Barbie business will partner with cosmetics company MAC (Make-up Art Cosmetics) for an "adult-targeted project" that will be unveiled in the spring of 2007.

The toy company declined to give more details on the partnership. Mattel does not currently sell Barbie cosmetics in the United States, although it does sell Barbie children's cosmetics in markets such as Europe, Latin Americas and Asia.

It said the collaboration is the first time that Barbie has partnered with "an adult prestige cosmetics company."

Mattel, the No. 1 U.S. toy maker, has been working to revive sales of its Barbie business amid difficult market conditions and stiff competition from MGA Entertainment's Bratz fashion dolls.

It has introduced new Barbie dolls, like its 12 Dancing Princesses line, and is trying to expand Barbie's reach beyond toys.

Last year, Mattel extended Barbie's U.S. domain with Barbie Luxe, a line of high-end designer clothing and accessories for adult women. It has a similar line in Japan, where it has Barbie boutiques.

m4dswine

I'm sure a lot of people will like it...

Can't really see myself in Barbie pink though...

poddygirl

I'd probably be more interested if MAC were going to partner with Bratz, but Barbie? Nah ... will give it a miss
ssad.gif

princess

First reaction was eeeewwwww but guess we'll never know until we see pictures.

But this Barbie thing...
lol.gif

little_angel

hmmm... i thought MAC was all about representing 'alternative' beauty, people who are gorgeous, yet not cookie-cutter gorgeous. i feel like barbie totally contradicts that.

this is a little disappointing, to be honest...

a914butterfly

i guess we will just have to wait and see what products come out. although i love pinks, so this might be a good collection ( i can picture barbie pink or nice girly pastels?).

BadBadGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by poddygirl
I'd probably be more interested if MAC were going to partner with Bratz, but Barbie? Nah ... will give it a miss
ssad.gif

My thoughts exactly! I love Bratz- but even though they give Barbie a run for her money...barbie has more older fans. (With all those collectible and brand name designer Barbies- also the Tarina Tarantino line which is super expensive yet a big hit.)

I also have faith in MAC...I doubt they would do a collabo that won't do well. Personally nothing could be better for me than MAC and Hello Kitty- but that won't happen.
weeping.gif

DaizyDeath

im a very "alternitive person"

I personally have no problem with barbie i mean people who want to be barbie thats their problem if it wasnt that toy it would be something else stupid its a freaking doll for gods sake i dont see the big controversy about it.

i can definitly see myself buying the whole collection hopefully theyll release some nice makeup cases with it.

im willing to bet they they will be using the vintage barbies as inspiration and as pictures for the product.

liv

I'm excited for this! I love the vintage barbie, how they looked in the '60s so hopefully it goes in that direction!

And I hate Bratz dolls personally, I think they are so ugly and weird looking, and border on skanky sometimes. I grew up with barbies though, so I'm biased.
smiles.gif

glittergoddess27

Hmm thats funny,.. I have a Spanish barbie,.. I have an egyptian barbie,.. I also have a brazilian one too?? Barbie is not necessarily a WASP anymore? If I am grasping the meaning of that correctly? Anyway,.. I think it would be a cute collection. And if they excluded Barbie wouldn't that be against their embracement of all ages, sexes, races?? That door swings both ways.

little_angel

judging by how barbie has released dolls in the past when working with designers... the barbie is fashioned after the designer, not vice versa... so instead of seeing a bunch of bright pink MAC stuff, we'll probably see a doll dressed in all black with wild makeup on.

inlucesco

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv
I'm excited for this! I love the vintage barbie, how they looked in the '60s so hopefully it goes in that direction!

And I hate Bratz dolls personally, I think they are so ugly and weird looking, and border on skanky sometimes. I grew up with barbies though, so I'm biased.
smiles.gif

Seconded on both points. I would love to see a vintage Barbie makeup collection... I keep my MAC in a vintage-style Barbie traincase already.
greengrin.gif

merleskaya

I wonder if it will be a TLC collection with Barbies from different eras on the lids (similar to the Disney TLCs), or perhaps a couple of powder compacts.

The serious Barbie collectors tend to be an older lot...they'll go nuts, I'll wager.

merleskaya

Latest posts