Be My {Retro} Valentine

Chikky

Wow, you look so great. I love retro makeup and couldn't find anyone to help me make it possible. Maybe I'll have to keep trying myself!

And the hair!! I looove it. I was looking at a picture of some purplish hair today at work, and might do that next.

aconundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranth
Yaaaaaaay! Thanks x 100000000000 everyone!!

Hahahahahaa! Thanks a lot! I get the Debra Messing thing ALL the time, I don't see it, but apparently it's there if so many other people see it. And I do my own hair, I'm actually in the process of dying it right now
smiles.gif
. I use Special Effects dye (they have a website you can check out, but the swatches aren't too accurate). It's a vegetable dye, so you can mix 'em to make your own hair colours and leave them on for as long as you want without having to worry about damage. I mix Devilish (just a TINY bit, it can really take over) and Wild Flower to get this colour. I also have my hair chemically dyed every six months, or else the dye doesn't stick. I don't bleach it though...been there, got the hair damage. I just get it dyed one shade above my natural colour so that it lifts the colour a bit. You should try it, it's great!

Typically when I use vegatable dyes on my hair they show up soo veeerry subtle. i used to use Manic Panic Vampire Red and would leave it in over night and get a nice burgundy color on my dark brown hair buuut it faded very very fast and for all the staining of my towels, pillow cases, skin and everything else it came in contact with, not to mention the overnight process being a pain, I stopped. out of curiousity, what color is your hair to start with?

(and I think the debra messing thing is mostly in the nose, you have the exact same nose as her)

Amaranth

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziajs
I really like it and you do look like a red-haired Christina in that last picture. I also LOVE your hair. I would never know you used a flat iron to do it and 20 minutes is pretty damn good.

Thank you guys so much, I'm glad you like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikky
And the hair!! I looove it. I was looking at a picture of some purplish hair today at work, and might do that next.

Yes you should! I find it actually matches more than the red hair I used to have did. I mean, I'd wear whatever I wanted anyone, regardless of whether or not it matched my hair, I just find it looks better now. Do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aconundrum
Typically when I use vegatable dyes on my hair they show up soo veeerry subtle. i used to use Manic Panic Vampire Red and would leave it in over night and get a nice burgundy color on my dark brown hair buuut it faded very very fast and for all the staining of my towels, pillow cases, skin and everything else it came in contact with, not to mention the overnight process being a pain, I stopped. out of curiousity, what color is your hair to start with?

(and I think the debra messing thing is mostly in the nose, you have the exact same nose as her)

Yeah, my boss at work said it was the nose too when we had a similar conversation, so I think you're right.

And vegetable dyes don't show up much on me either and it washes out very quickly unless I chemically treat my hair first. My hair is a naturally ashy mid-brown...not a very nice colour. It's not dark, but not light, and it's almost a grey colour...eeeeeeew! But like I said, you really only need to chemically treat your hair every few months (I go six because I'm in university, but otherwise I'd probably only go three or four) to get the colour to stick. Just make sure the colour you dye your hair chemically is at least one shade lighter than your natural colour. The best results will come out if you bleach your hair first, because some of the lighter Special Effects dyes don't show up at all if you don't bleach it first. The dyes look much darker in the bottle than they do on your hair. Also, it's easier to get the darker colours of dye to stick, and they last longer. The two colours I mix right now are mid-toned colours, so they don't last SUPER long, but they're still pretty good. I dye my hair every two weeks, although it definitely lasts longer than this, I just like to keep it really, really bright. And it gives me an excuse to avoid homework haha. Also, the Special Effects dyes are more concentrated than Manic Panic. It's the same general idea, but in my experience (and I've tried a LOT of vegetable dyes), Special Effects dyes last the longest and have the nicest colours. So yeah...my main tip is to chemically dye it first. After my hair started breaking off from bleaching I decided to stay away from chemicals in general, but my hair is such a naturally ugly colour! Dying my hair every six months is definitely better than dying it every month, and I think the colour is much cooler anyway. I hope that helps, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask, I definitely don't mind talking about it!

Amaranth

Thanks! I'm glad you guys like the hair too, I had NO idea what I was doing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasevayadancer
Holy heck- GORGEOUS GORGEOUS GORGEOUS look! I did a retro look too- post is pending
winks.gif

Thanks! I tried finding it, but I guess you still haven't posted it yet. I'll keep my eyes open though, I bet that look would be super hot on you.

mishameesh

You look gorgeous! Very pretty, reminds me of Christina!
You are rockin Penelope's red! I wish it looked that good on me.... I threw it out!

Amaranth

Quote:
Originally Posted by oulala
Ohmigawd you look just like Christina in that last pic. Beautiful!

Oooh, thanks! She's so pretty, that's a huge compliment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishameesh
You look gorgeous! Very pretty, reminds me of Christina!
You are rockin Penelope's red! I wish it looked that good on me.... I threw it out!

Thanks, once again, huge compliment
winks.gif
. You threw it out? Aww...that sucks. I really like it, and I have a hard time finding reds that I like. I'm picky about them.