Beauty Blender vs. UD's Optical Blurring Brush.

SweetSweetIrony

I currently use NARS Sheer Matte foundation with a MAC 190 brush. I'm ordering UD's Naked skin foundation since I need something new. I'm not a big fan of the 190 anymore either. Which would work better for flawless foundation, a beauty blender or the matching UD foundation brush?

shellygrrl

Staff member
If I use a brush for foundation, I use the Sigma F80. I've never used either UD's brush or any sort of beautyblender.

Copperhead

I currently use NARS Sheer Matte foundation with a MAC 190 brush. I'm ordering UD's Naked skin foundation since I need something new. I'm not a big fan of the 190 anymore either. Which would work better for flawless foundation, a beauty blender or the matching UD foundation brush?
I haven't tried the UD brush but I have, and love, the Beauty Blender.

Try looking at some youtube vids on both the Beauty Blender and the UD brush to see which one you think you'd prefer. Lately for foundation for me it's either the Sigma F80 or the Beauty Blender.

MissTT

I have the BeautyBlender and the UD Optical Blurring Brush. The UD is my HG hands down!!!! It quickly gives you a flawless, airbrushed finish. The BB takes too long for me and is too fussy with all that wetting, drying, bouncing, stippling, patting you have to do. If you have dry skin you may prefer the BB to the UD so you won't stir up flakes on your skin. Also true if you have lots of fuzz on your face. The BB also takes longer to clean. I regret getting two. The UD can also be used with powder. They say the BB can, too, but I don't understand using a damp sponge with powder. Sounds like a recipe for patchiness and bacteria. I backed up my UD brush so I'd always have a clean one. Funny thing is I love it so much I always make sure to clean it so I've only used the back up once.

Copperhead

I wash my Beauty Blender after every use so it shouldn't be grabbing any bacteria. I don't like makeup sitting in it. But then again, I only wear makeup maybe twice or 3 times a week so washing it after every use isn't a hassle to me. I wet the BB one time. I don't keep wetting it while I'm doing my face. I wet it one time, do my foundation with it and then I may use the pointy tip of it with my Ben Nye loose powder for setting under eye concealer or I'll use the Real Techniques Setting Brush for this purpose but I only wet the BB once. For me, using the BB takes no longer than using the Sigma F80. Cleaning the BB doesn't take any longer than cleaning the rather dense F80.

This is just MY opinion and how it works for ME.

I ordered one BB and ended up being sent two and once I tried it I was soooo happy I got two.

MissTT

I'm thinking the damp BB placed in a powder could potentially cause bacteria in the powder product. Especially a pressed powder. With a BB I have to get it wet, squeeze to get it to absorb the water, squeeze it out, then squeeze a little more in a towel according to the directions all before it's ready to use. I don't re-wet it as I go either, but as someone who's looking to save time those prepping steps are steps I can do without. With a brush I just pick it up and go to it. As far as cleaning, I feel like with the BB there is a lot of kneading going on to try to get the makeup out. Plus I have to be careful not to tear the sponge trying to get the makeup out of it. Especially on the tip. Could be the shampoo I am using with it. I don't have the BB cleaner, but was just thinking about it last night since I cleaned a brush at work with it. When I see the stains in the BB I'm never really sure if it's clean. Putting the shampoo in my palm and then swirling my UD brush firmly in the soap is much faster and less of a hassle for me. And again, for me, buffing is much faster and takes less effort than stippling for application. Stippling doesn't necessarily blend, however, buffing applies and blends at the same time.
I know people love the BB, but for me it adds too much time and effort. In the time it takes me to prep my BB I could have my foundation beautifully blended with the UD brush.

Copperhead

Yeah I just put a little powder in my hand or the lid and dip the tip of the BB into it. I don't introduce the BB directly to the powder in the container. That would asking for bacterial trouble for sure.

That's why I suggested she read reviews or watch vids on these products to see which one she thinks she'd prefer. I'm sure there are people who like both.