beauty schools...need advice choosing!

xsnowwhite

hellooo ladies & gents
So I've been really entertaining the idea of going to beauty school next year and found 2 that I am really debating between. one of them is a well known beauty school and the other is a local school. Do you think it is worth the extra $$ to go to a well known, "name brand" if you will, beauty school? I am more interested in becoming a hairstylist if that makes a difference...
thank you for opinions !

also if this is in the wrong place/has already been brought up I apologize! i didnt seem to find what I was really looking for, most was for makeup.

NeonKitten

hmm well it depends on the school? some well known schools are better then others. i personally am going to paul mitchell and i love it! i've got permenant career placement after school, amazing guest artists come and teach and i get to use awesome products! hope this helps

xsnowwhite

thank you yea that does help. I looked into paul mitchell but sadly it's too far from my house. I was looking at Aveda. I like that they offer career placement that sounds good.

dirtball

i graduated from the aveda institute st. petersburg in florida a few years ago, and i think its worth it, however the aveda masters program (which you can try and get accepted into after you finish the regular school) is garbage in my opinion. not worth the money, youd learn more from just being an assistant at a salon. ANYWAY... at aveda, they really teach you a lot, because once you graduate, youre representing them. you carry their name on your work, and they want to look good, not look like a joke. they are very structured and strict and its with good reason. they teach you to be a professional, and professionalism is hard to find in this industry in my opinion. every stylist ive met who attended a small local beauty school or vocational school has said that you dont really do a lot of hair. you play around and blow dry each others hair and talk and waste your money, then graduating without confidence bc of lack of basic hair knowledge. smaller schools dont have the draw for clients either, and you need clients in order to really learn. manakins are not an accurate representation of cutting a real persons hair (for a LOT of reasons). at aveda i was booked almost every day, busy busy busy which means lots of practice, and graduating with confidence in your work, good communication with clients, and good social skills. nobody wants a socially akward or hesitant stylist.