Bed Bug issues that my family are ignoring!

X4biddenxLustX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiss
No pesticides or diatamaceous earth will get rid of bedbugs fully I don't think so yes professional treatment is necessary. Several professional treatments will be required to get rid of them too. But I heard success stories with the food-grade stuff ( the kind I am not able to find) and it has reduced bed bugs dramatically where there almost doesn't seem to be none (not the food-grade kind) for my friend which is why I recomended it. I am guessing your family owns the house and not rents as the manager would be responsible in paying for an exterminator in that case. ugh I hate bed bugs!

I just feel so hopeless now =[ So exactly what does happen when bed bugs start creeping your house? Do they ever go away or what?

To be honest, I wouldn't mind living with these pieces of shit if they wouldn't come out and be visible, and wreak so much havoc on our minds and bodies. But why must they be sooo awful??

Not sure if this is related but I remember a few years ago when we were still living in this home that we are in now my dad had an issue with a bad rash on his legs. He went to see doctors who told them it was scabies. He did treatments on his skin and I'm pretty sure they went away. At that time he would sleep downstairs in the basement on a couch there. I've heard that sometimes doctors may mistake bed bug bites for scabies? So I'm not sure if this is related to our bed bug issue now or what. But at that time no one else in the house other than my dad had issues.

So do you think it's a good idea to hire a professional and start putting down some DE powder? I found a link online for some that's specially made for killing bugs. Do you know if this stuff is in any way like harmful to humans?

roLLerGrrL

I don't think they would just disappear. It's probably not easy to tell how many female bed bugs you would have obviously, but if lay 5-8 eggs everyday & you even had 10 females, that's potentially 80 new eggs everyday, 560 every week.

You've got to get some professional help.
ssad.gif

sillylilacs

Oh wow, after reading through the entire thread, I got frustrated at Chinese parents in general. Being Chinese as well, I TOTALLY understand the stubbornness and all parents are right attitude and what they say goes, and the whole traditional kind of point. But realistically though, you say your parents couldn't speak english so you couldn't show them videos/articles of how bad it gets. Have you showed them articles in chinese?
smiles.gif

Here's a very simple article from Baidu!
臭虫

Also, the whole spiritual advisor thing. Chinese people (the older generations at least) are pretty superstitious. So I would suggest asking the spiritual advisor to see if she knows about the bed bug problem. Because it seems like your mom trusts her very much, so if she can hear how serious it is from an outside source from the family, it'll push her along. And also sit your parents down and ask them calmly, that is this what your grandmother would have done, putting aside all tradition with doing nothing to the house, would she be happy with the way things are? Spirits are touchy subjects to bring up so don't drop this down out of the blue, but guilt trip them back, they do it to us often enough! But once you bring that up, don't go deeper into the subject, let them brood on that for awhile (well after they yell at you for disrespect, parents will do that =/). But After they seem to have recovered a bit, then go over you know the costs and your brother being taken away, would grams be happy with that?? Family means everything, so use that to your advantage.

In terms of DE, at this point, I really wouldn't do it myself. I would say when infestation just started it would be ok, but you don't want to screw something up. Chinese people are frugal, and we hate to spend money unnecessarily, but...this isn't one of those situations where you can handle everything yourself anymore. So when you guys get a professional, make sure they're not Chinese lol I mean they're cheaper, but some of them aren't as thorough
smiles.gif

And FYI I'm not a racist lol I just recognize Chinese people's strengths and weakness
smiles.gif

Hope I kind of helped =/

X4biddenxLustX

Quote:
Originally Posted by roLLerGrrL
I don't think they would just disappear. It's probably not easy to tell how many female bed bugs you would have obviously, but if lay 5-8 eggs everyday & you even had 10 females, that's potentially 80 new eggs everyday, 560 every week.

You've got to get some professional help.
ssad.gif

This just scares the crap out of me =[

I talked to my therapist about this today because of how it's been frustrating me so much. She referred me to a guy who help treat her house that her boyfriend knows. Now she didn't have a problem with bed bugs but something else and said the guy does a good job. But unfortunately I called him and he said that he'd have to refer me to a friend of his because he lacks the necessary equipment to treat bed bugs. I'm waiting for his friend to call back and it's seriously killing me this wait ahh!!!!

X4biddenxLustX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillylilacs
Oh wow, after reading through the entire thread, I got frustrated at Chinese parents in general. Being Chinese as well, I TOTALLY understand the stubbornness and all parents are right attitude and what they say goes, and the whole traditional kind of point. But realistically though, you say your parents couldn't speak english so you couldn't show them videos/articles of how bad it gets. Have you showed them articles in chinese?
smiles.gif

Here's a very simple article from Baidu!
臭虫

Also, the whole spiritual advisor thing. Chinese people (the older generations at least) are pretty superstitious. So I would suggest asking the spiritual advisor to see if she knows about the bed bug problem. Because it seems like your mom trusts her very much, so if she can hear how serious it is from an outside source from the family, it'll push her along. And also sit your parents down and ask them calmly, that is this what your grandmother would have done, putting aside all tradition with doing nothing to the house, would she be happy with the way things are? Spirits are touchy subjects to bring up so don't drop this down out of the blue, but guilt trip them back, they do it to us often enough! But once you bring that up, don't go deeper into the subject, let them brood on that for awhile (well after they yell at you for disrespect, parents will do that =/). But After they seem to have recovered a bit, then go over you know the costs and your brother being taken away, would grams be happy with that?? Family means everything, so use that to your advantage.

In terms of DE, at this point, I really wouldn't do it myself. I would say when infestation just started it would be ok, but you don't want to screw something up. Chinese people are frugal, and we hate to spend money unnecessarily, but...this isn't one of those situations where you can handle everything yourself anymore. So when you guys get a professional, make sure they're not Chinese lol I mean they're cheaper, but some of them aren't as thorough
smiles.gif

And FYI I'm not a racist lol I just recognize Chinese people's strengths and weakness
smiles.gif

Hope I kind of helped =/

Omg thank you!!!! I feel that everyone who has read and commented on my thread does understand my frustration with the bed bugs but to truly understand the frustration that I have with my parents themselves it takes another chinese to understand.

I definitely will show them that article since they'll be able to understand it. I've showed them that video from above and they just didn't seem phased at all. But seeing something in writing may and hopefully will help.

Oh the spiritual adviser does know about the bed bugs. My parents don't know what they exact are or are called in chinese and obviously not familiar with how devastating they are. But the spiritual adviser lady just told my mom that the bites are normal and thats it. She still went back to the whole thing where we can't do anything with the house for a year. I seriously can't stand how dependent my mom is on this whole thing. Now I'm not knocking their beliefs but I will say this- these are NOT MY beliefs at all. I use logic not superstition. This is another touchy subject with my family here, that I don't believe in what they believe. None of these silly things they do make any sense to me and I can never get any questions answered about them when I question them. I also do think that my gram would not want us living like this. I feel as this whole bed bug issue is bringing a lot of other issues I have with my family to the surface and to a head. That's probably why this all bothers me even more. We lack any form of good communication between each other, they don't like to validate or give any attention to my concerns or worries, constantly giving me false promises, and never wanting to actually DEAL with problems but rather sweep them under the rug. It just upset me so much more beyond us having bed bugs. It's as if no one at all cares about how I feel or what I'm worried about at all.

And yes many older chinese are very frugal and I mean I don't blame them since money really is tight for everyone these days. My parent's also don't make that much of money either. I'm just really hoping that my student loans/grants are enough this semester to cover the cost of having a professional so I can just go ahead and pay for it myself or pay my parents back. I keep trying to stress to them that this again will not go away and will get worse and end up costing thousands and thousands to try to fix if it's even possible. I'm going to call the financial aid department at my school tomorrow and see whats going on with the money.

sillylilacs

I definitely understand the whole logic vs superstition thing. I was born in China and I came to the US when I was 10 (19 now), so I can see things from both point of views.

Again, guilt trip them, say this beg bug event/episode is a way to test us from the peeps higher up. Talk to the spiritual advisor again as well, make sure he/she understand the seriousness.

Does your brother voice his concerns as well?

X4biddenxLustX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillylilacs
I definitely understand the whole logic vs superstition thing. I was born in China and I came to the US when I was 10 (19 now), so I can see things from both point of views.

Again, guilt trip them, say this beg bug event/episode is a way to test us from the peeps higher up. Talk to the spiritual advisor again as well, make sure he/she understand the seriousness.

Does your brother voice his concerns as well?

Yeah it's really complicated the whole older generation vs. the younger generation when it comes to the Chinese culture. My parents were born and raised in China. We moved here when I was 1 so I'm very Americanized. The asians I do know here and I don't know many personally all think I'm more Americanized than Chinese. Growing up I was practically the only if not very few Chinese girls in school. So it all kinds of makes it difficult on my end to understand where my parents are coming from with all the old traditions ya no? In their culture they're not use to having people especially children who are younger than you question one. But I'm the type of person that questions pretty much everything in life. So that by itself causes a lot of clashes between me and my parents.

If this whole bed bug issue is a test from a higher power, well we're losing lol. I actually seriously avoid speaking to the spiritual adviser as I feel ( and please don't be offended by this if your by any chance a believer in this) is something like a cult. My mom is so dependent on her. We even send her money every now and then. I'm just a non-believer in this. I think she actually found me a bit rude when she called a few weeks ago early in the morning when I was sleeping. Now I get very grumpy in the mornings and I was half asleep still and I guess I wasn't being so nice with her. But she basically disagreed with what I was going to school for (biotechnology) because it's hard work and a woman shouldn't work so hard she said. So yeah I lost respect for her then.

My brother gets bites but doesn't say much about them. I know they have to bother him on some level as he's staying in the rooms where there's more bed bugs I guess? He actually makes fun of me for how "dramatic" I'm about this situation.

sillylilacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4biddenxLustX
In their culture they're not use to having people especially children who are younger than you question one. But I'm the type of person that questions pretty much everything in life. So that by itself causes a lot of clashes between me and my parents.

Agreed, my parents were born and raised in China as well and they came here well after all their belief systems have formed. But they've adapted pretty well as they both speak english.

Quote:
I actually seriously avoid speaking to the spiritual adviser as I feel ( and please don't be offended by this if your by any chance a believer in this) is something like a cult.

Haha its ok, I'm not offended, I don't get offended easily. Plus everyone is entitled to his/her own opinions
smiles.gif

Quote:
If this whole bed bug issue is a test from a higher power, well we're losing lol.

Aww, don't say that! Be positive! ^_^ You guys will pull through
smiles.gif
Granted things will probably get a bit worse before it gets better, but you guys will pull through
smiles.gif

Quote:
My mom is so dependent on her. We even send her money every now and then.

Chinese courtesy at its best lol

Quote:
But she basically disagreed with what I was going to school for (biotechnology) because it's hard work and a woman shouldn't work so hard she said. So yeah I lost respect for her then.

Number 1. Biotechnology is a great field! Kudos for you for picking it
smiles.gif

Number 2. She must be REALLY old fashioned. >.< It might sound bad, but it's ok, her generation are dying out, so don't take it to heart, it's how she was raised. (probably going to hell for typing that >.< lol)
Number 3. Try to talk to her again. Your mom sounds like she's very dependent on her so just talk to the old lady again lol I know it'll be very frustrating but suck up, bow and everything. Make "Respect elders" her theme of the day lol

Quote:
My brother gets bites but doesn't say much about them. I know they have to bother him on some level as he's staying in the rooms where there's more bed bugs I guess? He actually makes fun of me for how "dramatic" I'm about this situation.

Ugh, men. I think those two words say it all. Talk to him about it as well, he's still in his teenage years so he might not respond but he'll still listen. Since he's not saying anything, your parents might not think it's that big of a problem and think you're dramatizing the problem.

X4biddenxLustX

In my other thread I replied to your post but I said that after talking to the exterminator I was referred to, I talked to my mom. She finally actually listened! She said that she will have to talk to my dad about it. Of course I will have to too just to make sure she actually even does talk to him about it. I'm hoping that this exterminator will help us out a lot. The guy seemed really nice and upfront about things. He's charging $300+tax to do the first initial treatments in the house which should last for 3 months. Then after that he recommends doing another treatment every 3 months for at least a year for $75. And if we need more than one treatment within those 3 months he'll come out for free and do more for us. If I can get my dad to agree soon, I think I can make an appointment for him to come sometime next week. He told us to not take things from one room to another room in case we "contaminate" another area. And to keep things the way they are right now to also avoid contamination and for him to be able to inspect the place before deciding what he wants us to do. He told me that he uses something called genitrol or something like that? But that basically renders these nasty things sterile which is important cause of them laying eggs constantly.

As for the spiritual adviser, I'm still going to avoid her as much as I can lol. She lives in Canada so she can only calls us or my mom calls her. So it shouldn't be too hard for me to avoid her this way lol. But if I for watever reason have to talk to her I will follow your advice and suck it up and be "respectful" lol. Better than to start an argument with her which is the last thing I need, another headache on top of this lol! But this actually does make me look forwarding to finishing school and getting a job so I can move out on my own and not worry about having to really deal with these things lol. And no way am I sending her or anyone else besides money either! I've retained the frugal-cheap Chinese manners in a sense haha. I like to keep onto my own money lol.

I think that my brother not saying anything makes my parents not seem or feel the seriousness of the situation too. I don't think he understands how serious this is either. He's too young and never takes anything seriously unlike me who takes everything TOO seriously possibly.

sillylilacs

Quote:
I'm hoping that this exterminator will help us out a lot. The guy seemed really nice and upfront about things. He's charging $300+tax to do the first initial treatments in the house which should last for 3 months. Then after that he recommends doing another treatment every 3 months for at least a year for $75. And if we need more than one treatment within those 3 months he'll come out for free and do more for us.

That's great news! It doesn't sound too expensive either!
th_DANCE.gif

Quote:
He told us to not take things from one room to another room in case we "contaminate" another area. And to keep things the way they are right now to also avoid contamination and for him to be able to inspect the place before deciding what he wants us to do.

I would say though to toss out your beds. And they like to hide closest to their prey, so make sure you get that as well. After the guy does his first treatment, perhaps buy a cheap bed with metal legs temporarily, because if you immerse the legs in cups of oil, the bugs won't be able to crawl up the legs and bite you in your sleep. So keep that until you're clear of bed bugs...I mean no food, no reproduction, no nutrient, --> dead bugs hopefully?

Quote:
He told me that he uses something called genitrol or something like that? But that basically renders these nasty things sterile which is important cause of them laying eggs constantly.

Genitrol? o_O In pharmacy world, its for avascular neurosis lol Umm...But ceasing reproduction is very very good!

Quote:
As for the spiritual adviser, I'm still going to avoid her as much as I can lol. She lives in Canada so she can only calls us or my mom calls her.

Oh lol I thought she liked lived in the next street over!

But I am glad things are working out! =)

buddleia

Quote:
We lack any form of good communication between each other, they don't like to validate or give any attention to my concerns or worries, constantly giving me false promises, and never wanting to actually DEAL with problems but rather sweep them under the rug. It just upset me so much more beyond us having bed bugs. It's as if no one at all cares about how I feel or what I'm worried about at all.

And yes many older chinese are very frugal and I mean I don't blame them since money really is tight for everyone these days. My parent's also don't make that much of money either.

Oh, how I can relate to this communication issue too - I'm Chinese, born in Canada though. (Maybe I can track down the spiritual advisor?
greengrin.gif
I'm in Toronto!) Sounds like you found a good exterminator - I hope it all works out. I also think that part of the reason that your dad is in denial is because he's afraid. He doesn't want to deal with the problem. Sticking your head in the sand is a lot easier than having to deal with a huge potential cost, and I'm sure he's worried that it's going to be very costly and that he doesn't have the money. He'll probably feel weird about taking money from you too (because you're his kid and he's the parent! He should be providing for you!). Toronto has a big bed bug issue too (thankfully I haven't been hit *knocks wood!*) and yeah, people do feel the stigma, Chinese or not.

Here's some info from City of Toronto (there's a fact sheet available in Chinese): Bed Bugs - Toronto Public Health Hope that helps. Let us know what happens!

TheTeenageMuse

Okay so I haven't read through all the comments but I went through almost the same thing. My cat had (still has) fleas.

I made my dad vacuum my room for a week straight. I washed my sheets about four times in a month. I think thorough cleaning really helps. Start it yourself without their help.

Above all I suggest TIGER BALM. Once I started applying it (get every inch of your body) I didn't get a single bite.

My parents completely ignored me because I was the only one getting it (West Indian parents are relatively similar to Chinese in certain aspects) and they refused to look at any of the research I showed them. But my mom responded to the visual aspect. She's kind of proud of my appearance so the toll it was taking on my body upset her. Also appeal to your parents need to please the community by telling them that people will talk about how 'poor' you all are because of all the bites. Tell them people are starting to talk even if no one is.

Show them the lengths you've gone to. Show them that you're desperate enough to post on a forum. You'll probably get in trouble but perhaps the humiliation of having their situation being broadcasted to the world will push them to do something.

Get a note from the doctor. That kind of changed my parents attitude. If I were you I would honestly phone Orkin to arrange a consultation when your parents are around (Don't tell them) You'll probably get in a bunch of shit but at least the problem will be solved, they'll have to pay up.

My issue started in Jan didn't get fixed till May and while my cat still has fleas I haven't gotten a single bite since then. She even sleeps on my bed.

You're main procedure should be this.
1.TIGER BALM! (Pretty sure this is a Asian product, so you should be able to find it?)
2.CLEAN
3.ORKIN
4.CLEAN
5.TIGER BALM!
6.CLEAN

I only have Orkin in there once because while the flea stuff the doctor gave did work it never fully fixed the problem. Infestations like this never truly leave but after a while you make it work.
Hope this works.

nikkiferna

I am literally 3 years late.

How did you get rid of this problem? I am going through the SAME thing right now. My parents, being Filipino, are firm to their opinions and often think I am overreacting.

In short - they had bed bugs for TWO years. I did not live at home, but noticed the bites because I slept over during Xmas break and such. I moved back home, since I am now in graduate school. I saw a nasty little bed bug on my pillow in the middle of the night. Ugh, I don't know what to do.

HELP!