Best Brown Eyeshadows?

Stage Kitten

I am really interested in getting some pretty brown eyeshadows, but I am having some trouble finding one that will look brown and not orange or reddish on me! Which of the following are the best (for me/my coloring especially)?

Mulch - looks so pretty, but I am afraid it might show up too warm (red)

Romp - beautiful, but again, I am afraid it will be too warm for me

Tempting - I am trying to make this one work for me. It shows up lightly on me and kind of orange. I am hoping I can make it look good on me because it is beautiful.

Espresso

Era - Is it a good base color? On the MAC site, it looks kind of similar to Soba.

Soba

Mizz.Coppertone

Romp is a beautiful soft brown with tons of golden shimmer, its warm but its soft, not orangey

Espresso is a good crease/liner shade since it's a matte darker brown

Face2Mac

Era is a beige, neutral. I use this a highlight

Romping, Mulch aren't orange at all. Romp is a light gold/bronze color, mulch is a dark gold flecked brown. Like romping on the inner lid with mulch on the outer with Expresso would be a pretty smokey eye.

If you are concerned about orange browns, stay away from Folie, Brown Script. Handwritten, Brown Down, Corduroy would good browns without the orange.

Stage Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face2Mac
Era is a beige, neutral. I use this a highlight

Romping, Mulch aren't orange at all. Romp is a light gold/bronze color, mulch is a dark gold flecked brown. Like romping on the inner lid with mulch on the outer with Expresso would be a pretty smokey eye.

If you are concerned about orange browns, stay away from Folie, Brown Script. Handwritten, Brown Down, Corduroy would good browns without the orange.

Thanks! I was concerned about Mulch showing up red on me because the MAC site describes it as red-brown, but I will try it. I also want to try Romp to see how that shows up on me.

Yushimi

Check out Brown Down
smiles.gif
It's actually in my neutral palette. One of my favourites
greengrin.gif

Matte brown if I remember correctly.

Stage Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yushimi
Check out Brown Down
smiles.gif
It's actually in my neutral palette. One of my favourites
greengrin.gif

Matte brown if I remember correctly.

It looks pretty. I'll have to check that one out too!

DirtyHarriet

if you can still get it, magnetic fields is a pretty non-reddish brown...as is anything from the N collection (esp dark edge and remotely grey) - you can sometimes pick those up on the swap/sale forum...

also try cork

i love era as a mid-tone...great neutral...not at all reddish/orangey

also try satin taupe...it really is a nice darker color...not quite brown, but in my neutral palette nonetheless, and i use it quite a bit with cool colors.

Stage Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHarriet
if you can still get it, magnetic fields is a pretty non-reddish brown...as is anything from the N collection (esp dark edge and remotely grey) - you can sometimes pick those up on the swap/sale forum...

also try cork

i love era as a mid-tone...great neutral...not at all reddish/orangey

also try satin taupe...it really is a nice darker color...not quite brown, but in my neutral palette nonetheless, and i use it quite a bit with cool colors.

Thanks for the ideas!

TexasBelle

Well, it's not MAC, but for what it's worth . . . my holy grail brown eyeshadow is Urban Decay's "Underground" (from their deluxe shadow line). Like most of their deluxe shadows, it has a bit of shimmer, but NO glitter (thank goodness). I use it nearly everyday as a crease/contour color. There's no red to it that I've noticed. The UD site describes it as "medium fawn".

revinn

Espresso is beautiful, as well as Swiss Chocolate. For cooler browns, I love Magnetic Fields, Copperplate and Satin Taupe.