Best camera to start makeup portoflio?

shannyn92

Hey Everyone!
I'm looking to buy a nice camera to start my portfolio with. The problem is, I really don't know which one to get. Does anyone have any suggestions of nice cameras that take amazing up close shots of makeup? Ones that can really showcase the makeup itself? Thank you so much!

CafeAlaStef

It has little to do with the camera, and everything to do with lighting conditions and your skill as a photographer. You can take just as good pictures with a $200 snap and shoot as you can with a $2000 DSLR if you know what you're doing.

ItsMelissaP

While I mostly agree that good photography is mostly about a good photographer and not the camera - I can most certainly get different and better opportunities with my SLR that a $200 P&S camera just can't do.

BUT it IS all about the lighting! You'll want one that can has a small minimum focus range (if you want to get close up) and you'll want to play with great light. Natural light is great.

LC

Shannyn, really try to find a good photographer in your area that will let you tag along to shoots so that you can get professional shots out of the deal. Solid images are vital for your portfolio.

shannyn92

Great, thank you for all your help, everyone! :) I guess I just find it sort of difficult because I have no idea what a "good" photo looks like! :-O

makeupbyimani

Hey girl I don't know if the local high school around you have photo classes. Surprisingly enough there are some AMAZING photogs in HS. They wouldn't cost you a lot, most would probably work free, and maybe you could contact the teacher and bring in a few models to the class and get free shots taken. It's just a suggestion. :)

Take care!

xo,
Imani

Latest posts