Best Conditioning Treatment?

apharo86

I straighten my hair pretty much every other day and i've known all along how unhealthy this is, but now its really starting to show.
Since my mom made a comment about my hair "thinning" last week, i've been wearing my hair wavy (
ssad.gif
).
Also i've been taking multivitamins and trying to eat more protein since thats definitely been lacking in my diet.

But as i start my attempt to restore my hair's thickness, I thought i'd try some new conditioners to help me along the way. I have tried so many but can't seem to find one that works well. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good deep conditioner or leave in conditioner?

Thanks in advance!

user79

First of all, try to minimize styling, heat tools of any kind, hairsprays and things containing alcohol. That will only cause more breakage and dryness.

Two, don't brush your hair too much. Brushing it maybe 2 or 3 times a day should be enough. Overbrushing causes breakage. Use a wide tooth bendy comb instead of a bristle brush.

Three, don't wash your air everyday. Every second or third day will help your hair restore its natural balance and the natural oils on your head are better for your hair than any conditioner. It's a bit gross at first, but as you reduce washing, your scalp gradually adjusts.

Four, use a leave in conditioner or balm. I like Redken Anti-Snap for detangling after I get out of the shower, and followed up by 2 quirts of the Wella System Professional Enrich Balm.

Five, get a trim to cut off the split ends. There's no way to repair split ends, you can only cut them off and start new.

sitasati

I've always wondered how do you get you're hair from not looking oily while you are not washing it????

Also, Apharo..I've been noticing the thinning in my hair too. But the last three years my hair has been thinning and I think it's due to my diabetes and hormone imbalance. I've been using nexxus products and I do love them. I adore the Heat protexx ...it protects you're hair from heat damage. I also heard Joico products are great for deep conditioning.

darkbeauty27

Have you ever tried oiling your hair? I use coconut oil as a deep treatment some nights but sometimes I just smooth a bit over my hair length and it makes it look healthier. I usually sleep with it on my hair and then wash it out in the morning. The main benefit for using coconut oil is it helps hair maintain protein, which makes your hair stronger. For best results use Extra Virgin Organic coconut oil. You can buy this at a local health food store or vitamin shop. Another oil you can also use on your hair is jojoba oil. This oil is great for the hair.

A good deep conditioner is L'oreal Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture Nurturing Creme. You can purchase this product at Sally Beauty Supply.

Dizzy

I straighten mine almost every day. Is it damaging? Of course, but there are ways to limit the damage.

1. Use a ceramic straightener- the ceramic isn't nearly as harsh on your hair as metal ones are. Try to get one that's ceramic completely through- some (Hot tools/Wigo in particular) are just ceramic coated, which means that through time the heat will melt the ceramic coating off the plates, then you're back to putting metal on your hair.

2. Use a heat protector every single time you heat style. Chi Iron Guard 44 or Kenra's 19 are both good. They act like a starch on your hair, so your hair gets the benefits of being straightened by the heat, but not the damaging effects since the iron will burn the heat protector off your hair, and not the hair itself. If you blow dry also, try a blow dry lotion (Matrix Vavoom Gold has a good one, I can't remember the name right now though!) to minimize damage.

3. Try to use either a deep conditioner or treatment once a week. Joico's Deep Reconstructor is amazing for this, or if you feel that your hair is more dry than damaged, you can try Kenra's deep conditioning masque. I've tried (and love!) both.

4. Don't brush your hair while it's wet. This is its most fragile state and will often stretch more than it's suppose to which is why more hair will come off on your brush when your hair is wet as opposed to dry. Throw some leave in detangler or conditioner in, wait until it's damp then brush it. Work from the bottom up.

It's definitely going to take a bit of time for you to notice the thickness again (your hair grows on average an inch a month), but at least you can preserve the rest of your hair while waiting for it!

righteothen

I use Garneir Fructis Long and Strong on my hair, along with Fortifying Deep Conditioner. Every other time I wash my hair, I use the deep conditioner on mostly the ends, tapering off about half way up my hair, and leaving it in for over 5 minutes. I tend to get used to products, though, so I also use Herbal Essences, and a natural brand that I get at a health food store around me. The main thing to do, though, is a deep conditioner of some sort. I find that if I skip that step, my hair is just horrible.

And on the comment about skipping washing your hair, it totally works. It really depends on your hair type (oily, dry, etc.) how long you can go, but it really helps. I got commented on my hair my a stylist, because most people come in with damaged hair, and even though mine gets damaged, I take good care of it. Over washing your hair is damaging, under washing just looks and smells a gross. Start with every other day, and work your way to what you are comfortable with. Your scalp with readjust, just like your face does.

And if you /absolutely must/ comb your hair when it's wet/damp, get a wide tooth comb, and be gentle.

CantAffordMAC

You are definetly on the right track with the hair vitamins (may I suggest GNC Ultra Nourish hair). I had the same problem and these vitamins helped a lot

I would start off by gettin a trim, and keep getting your dead ends trimmed every 6-8 weeks (if you do it sooner than that you won't see your growth coming in)

I would try going to a salon or a beauty supply store for a deep conditioner. I don't know of any REALLY great ones but supposedly New Era makes a deep conditioner that works great, and theres something called Hask Placenta which some people swear by (more of a leave in)

If you choose to use heat appliances on your hair again (which theres nothing wrong with doing, i would just give your hair a break for now) then I suggest you use a heat protectant. I used to use Redken Smooth Down heat glide which is a light oil used to protect hair from heat. Theres many different products for this

make sure you get the right kind of brushes/combs. I use a big Ouchless paddle brush to detangle my wet hair. Paddle brushes are good to detangle long hair. I use a wide tooth comb or a bone comb to comb it. I also use a pik from time to time instead of a regular comb. I use ouchless hair ties with no metal clasp on it.

when you're styling your hair into a ponytail or slick style, make sure its not TOO tight because that can cause breakage where you tie the ponytail, or at the crown of your head over time.

comb your conditioner and deep conditioner through your hair with a wide tooth comb to ensure that all your hair is being conditioned.

products with SD alcohol or alcohol denat. are very drying to your hair. these alcohols are usually found in hairsprays, but make sure to check the ingredients. I've also heard that things containing mineral oil and lanolin are not good for your hair as they coat it...leading to a build-up

and use a clarifying shampoo at least once a month, depending on how many products you use. a clarifying shampoo helps strip hair of all the gel, hairspray, mousse, wax, and overall build-up your hair has accumulated over time. don't use this shampoo too often, and make sure you condition hair well after a clarifying shampoo.

HTH
type.gif