Best nail polish remover?

lizsybarite

Hope this belongs in this category... I am tired of struggling to remove my nail polish! I've been using various dragstore brands, but it takes forever - and it never seems to take as long at the manicurist's. What should I be using? Ideally something that won't dry out my nails and doesn't have an odor that will knock people over an hour after I used it. Thanks!

And just for fun, a pic of my OPI collection, so you can see what my nail polish remover is up against
smiles.gif

nailpolishJan06001.jpg

Isis

I've just been using drug store brands and have never had any problems (except with reds). But I'll look to see what they use at work and if it's something you can buy from a beauty supply.

I have such an addiction to nail polish too! What is the color to the right of dark blue one?

lizsybarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isis
I have such an addiction to nail polish too! What is the color to the right of dark blue one?

I think that's "Melody in Mocha."
smiles.gif
I actually have that one on my MUA swap list currently because I never use it!

Isis

I'll have to check that color out then
smiles.gif

Anyway I did find a good remover while I was out to day by Lippman Collection. It's available at Bath & Body Works.

MACBunny

Wow, and I thought I had a nail polish fetish! I absolutely love these Nail Polish Remover Pads from Simply Basic. I got mine at Wal-Mart and they're basically mini scouring pads (not too abrasive) soaked in nail polish remover. I use one per hand but I guess you could use it for both. Anyways, I used to always hate taking off my nail polish, but it's so fast and easy with these guys. You gotta try 'em, plus they have yummy scents like Mango mmm.... HTH!
wavey.gif

lara

Nail polish remover is nail polish remover, really. There's no huge difference between brands, although the stuff they use at a nail salon is probably much higher in acetone.

The trick is just to really let the polish remover soak through the colour before wiping it away, especially on reds. Wearing a good base coat also helps immensely.
smiles.gif

moonrevel

I swear by those Sally Hansen jar nail polish removers with the sponge inside. Of course it's no good for toes, but it's a godsend for fingernails. It's quick and no mess!

I used to use Cutex nail polish removing gel for my toes, but I haven't been able to find it around here for a while. It was in a little pump, so you could just pump some on, let it sit, and then wipe it away with toilet tissue. I wish I could find it again; it was fab!

Isis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
Wearing a good base coat also helps immensely.
smiles.gif

You know what, I just discovered that the other day LOL That took a long time for me to figure out
tong.gif

bAbY_cHiCkEn01

Have you tried OPI nail polish remover, the green one... I really like that one... kinda expensive but I feel it's not as nasty and some of the others...

scrapbookromance

I'm not sure if all nail polish removers have the same amount of acetone in them or not. it might say on some bottles what percent is in it.

I think the nail place I go to uses straight acetone because when the nail polish colors get a little too thick to work with they squirt some stuff from a bottle labeled "acetone" into the nail polish bottle, and its the same stuff they use for removing the polish. is straight acetone ok to use?

Isis

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbookromance
I think the nail place I go to uses straight acetone because when the nail polish colors get a little too thick to work with they squirt some stuff from a bottle labeled "acetone" into the nail polish bottle, and its the same stuff they use for removing the polish. is straight acetone ok to use?

I checked at my spa to see what they use and they do have a 100% acetone NP remover that is ued for removing tips, arcylics, stubborn polishes, etc. They also have an acetone free formula, and also one with only some I don't remember the brand but it comes in large jugs.