Bitchin' about Stars 'n Rockets and Satellite Dreams

Bre

Ok so I bought these two VP's - mail order - but the texture will not work for me. They crumble on application, give hardley any pigmentation and generally do not go on smoothly. Very dissapointing cause they are so pretty in the pot and I thought VP's were supposed to be the Holy Grail of texture?

Any idea on which other pretty shadows I should avoid for these reasons?

bellaetoile

how are you applying them? brush or sponge tip? what type of bristles? are you applying them to bare skin, or are you using a base? if so, what kind? shadow quality is only half the battle, as proper application is a really important factor.

i'm wearing both satellite dreams and stars 'n rockets as we speak (type). i used the 252 and 239 brushes, and used both urban decay primer potion and overcast shadestick as a base. the colors went on super smooth, with great color payoff, no problem. i have found they aren't as vibrant as some of the other VPs, but you can make them work, with a little practice. mainly, the key is using a smaller, firmer brush (not a fluffy blending brush) to pack on the color, and use a good base. i like primer potion, with overcast shadestick, as the white shimmery color of the shadestick makes the colors of the shadows pop.

Bre

Thanks for the advice, I used a paint base and all MAC brushes, the brush was full of product but it jsut wouldn't transfer over. All the rest of the shadows I got at the same time work like a dream so possibly I got a bad batch?? Is that possible

Another Janice!

I just got Stars N' Rockets (thanks Alumeze!) and I find that I have to pack it on to get a decent color payoff. But I am also using nothing as a base...so maybe I will have to get something as a base. I am using a fluffier brush too...I will try it with another.

I totally love the color though...I have gotten quite a few compliments on it in the last 3 days!

theleopardcake

hm, i don't seem to have any problems with my stars n rockets, but one shadow i have trouble with is contrast. but then again, it's a velvet and most people hate velvets *shrug*

baby_love

paints dry, the reason the colors aren't showing up is because the pigments don't have anything to adhere to. try using a cream color base like Hush, you don't need a lot, just pat it ona bit.

Ella_

I use my stars n rockets with UDPP as a base and I found the first few times it wouldnt show up. But I began applying with a fluffier shadow brush - not a blending one though. Its showing up better now, so its either the brush Im using, wich is a cheap manicare shadow brush, or it had some kind of weird film over the top that is just starting to come off.

llucidity

I havent had a problem with these shadows. May I suggest that you dab the shadow on as opposed to sweeping/brushing it on?

Ambi

I never use VPs with a brush, always with a sponge-tip applicator, brushes just won't work.

sigwing

I was going to suggest try a damp sponge, because it totally changes a shadow and there should be no problem at all with increasing the color that way. Not wet...just dampened barely.

Chic 2k6

i've got a couple of VPs and Creme Du Violet is my ultimate fave and applies on like a dream, it depends on what kind of brush you use, i use a drugstore brand blending brush for it and it works great, try using a VP e/s on a base for it to work properly, you just need to practise techniques for applying VPs

Joke

Stars N Rockets and Pink Pearl are the same color, I use Pink Pearl as a base and pack SNR on it ...
toghether it's nice
smiles.gif

a914butterfly

i love my stars n rockets and i never have a problem with it at all and its such a lovely color. i use UD primer potion and my 239 brush to apply. its really a nice color, please try to make it work!!

pugmommy7

what does that mean?
I too dislike the VP finish. I aviod them now. just swapped 3 and 2 were le/new.
There are to many other shadows and pigments out there for me to have to work so hard to make THOSE work.
My feeling is the formulation is the problem,not me. I have been at this too long!

MACGoddess

As one of the others said, sometimes e/s don't want to stick to Paints alone, they can be a little dryer. Try using a Cream Color Base very very lightly over your Paint and you will get a seriously kick ass base combination!

I put my Paint on, then gently tap my finger a couple times in CCB and apply it to half mf lid, then repeat for the other half, and repeat for the browbone. You should only barely be able to see any color payoff from the CCB.