Black lips?!

concertina

This seems to be an upcoming trend for this fall; I've seen Lancome, MAC and YSL all have black lipgloss coming out for the fall.

Is this a look you'd do? I honestly don't think (with my NW20 skin) that I can pull it off without looking like corpse!

Any thoughts?

blackrose

I really want the Lancome set, it's a set of a red lipstick with black lipgloss. I don't think the effect is super goth...and its supposed to be inspired by Louboutin heels. It's very LE, I think only 500 are being made.

kimmy

i think really dark lips are classy as long as they're paired with the right eye/cheek makeup.

a black lipgloss will be a good addition to anyone's collection, tbh. it's a very unique thing, and seems to me it could actually be rather versatile.

concertina

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrose
Concertina, which collection does MAC have a black lipgloss coming out?

Its not in a collection; its their black lipmix that's been feature prominently in some 'look' email's they've sent out.

fafinette21

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm NW15 (which is still a little too dark) and I think I would look like death. But I like the way it looks on other people.

AdlersMommy22

Ive been wondering about doing this- Im an NC30.... but my lips are so small- any lipstick that isn't a nude-ish or beig-ish color (high tea, blanety, etc) looks horrible on me. Basically anything with color =(

Nox

Hmm... I always did gravitate towards the goth look of the 90's, I think I might have to scope out some black lipgloss.

HockeyChick04

I'm super pale but I am digging the black lip thing. I bought the black lipmix and It looks really good over red lipstick (like the Lancome set). I have always been intrigued by black lipstick/liogloss, I am really happy this trend seems to be emerging. Its a fun color to experiment with.

MACATTAK

No way for me. I'm an NW20 as well & it's hard for me to do a bright red on myself, much less black.

pat

Black lip gloss?! Sounds daring and interesting....

Instead of spending money on something you may not use, ie black gloss, maybe test run it first...

I think your best bet is maybe to trying shading in your lip with some black liner over red lipstick? Or maybe you can try pulling a blackish kind of pigment and mix it with some gloss.

I really want to see what this black lip gloss looks like on.

blackrose

I think the effect might be really cool over red lipstick. I'm going to be visiting Lancome's site constantly so I dont miss my chance on that set!

TDoll

This is intriguing... I want to try it!! Personally, I'm loving the look of the Lancome one. It looks like it has a slight shimmer, whereas the YSL one is described as a black patent leather without any shimmer or sparkle. I think the Lancome one sounds easier to pull off.

j_absinthe

It's great to see this trend going towards dark lips, however, it's also sort of annoying. Allow me to explain:

Though I don't categorize myself as "gothic", I certainly enjoy parts of the aesthetic and have incorporated some of it into my overall persona. Though I'm not one for black lips, it just seems odd to me that a culture such as popular fashionados is now following something that is often so mocked and ridiculed. Two years ago if a girl was seen with black lips, she'd almost immediately be met with cliched remarks-whether they were vocalized or just thought. Now Anna Wintour & Co. find black lips and goth aesthetic to be the latest allure, it's ok if someone who would've looked down upon the goth aesthetic to don it, not because they appreciate it so much as they want to fit in.

Meh.

HockeyChick04

I definitely understand what you mean. One of the reasons I'm glad to see the trend become more popular is because now someone who wears black lipstick or looks different isn't looked upon as weird but as a trend setter. Still though to each his own, some like it some don't.