Blending for the dumb and near sighted?

metalkitty

There's been threads similar to this but I thought this one was different enough to start a new topic perhaps.... Is there was a way to blend eyeshadows when they're wet? I have a really hard time blending sometimes I think the brushes I use are too soft (222 and Flirt! tapered blending brush) or that the base I use ( UD PP) isn't allowing me to blend properly.
Also, I don't know specific techniques on how to blend, as in what kind of brush strokes do I use? I've heard of the 'wind shield' wiping motion but I don't really get how that works either... So if any one could really break it down in alot of detail that'd be great.
ETA: I almost forgot the near sighted part, I wear glasses and find it kinda tough to juggle using a magnified mirror and applying my makeup. I might have one of those magnified mirrors attached to a wall installed though or get contact lenses, that'd be a good solution. But until then are there any tips to learn how to cope until then?

chameleonmary

it all depends on what colours you are using. be most careful when blending black shadows, they can 'dirty' other colours and i prefer to use smaller stronks with a smaller brush when using black.

the windshield motion is great for applying colour into the crease to blend in...

but ultimately there is no proper method, it just takes practice and finding your own way. my only recommendation is to not rely on sponge applicators too much for blending (or most other eyeshadow application for that matter)

the best thing to do is to jump on youtube for videos, its easier to visualise it than go off writing to learn the art of blending!

CaitlinRH7

I'm a MAC artist, and I can say that from personal experience, sponge tip applicators do not work well for me. We simply keep them around for those sweet little old 80 year old ladies who've been using them since LONG before I ever even came into existence and we appreciate them just as much as the "Generation Y and Xers" out there! <--- No offense to anyone there...

When blending eyeshadow, take into account the natural shape of your eye and where your crease lies. Most BLENDING will need to be done in the crease anyway, so no need to be concerned about the lid or the brow highlight at this point...your crease eventually blends into that anyway. But if you look straight forward, you can see where your natural crease lies, that's where the depth should be placed with shadow in order to create a natural look. For a natural look, the inner crease should be applied using a windshield wiper motion (I've learned this technique works best, rocking your hand back and forth with the 224 Blending Brush *available at any MAC location*) and the majority of the depth lying in the OUTER V portion of the crease. To get the most natural look, I try to do small circular movements back and forth to get the most even blend.

The best way to learn is to practice.

Makeup is not a tattoo. It will wash off when you're done. Nothing is permanent and makeup is supposed to be fun. It's an art, it's a skill, it's something to be mastered.... and you can't master anything you haven't practiced.

cheerleader.gif
cheerleader.gif
cheerleader.gif
cheerleader.gif
<---My cheerleading team!

metalkitty

You know, I might've figured out what makes blending so hard for me... I know it's going to sound like blasphemy but I think the culprit is my Urban Decay PP! I've hear awhile ago that people were having trouble blending with it but I forgot about/ ignored it since it made my eyeshadows go on brighter and bullet proof. I think it dries out the eye area a bit which makes me paranoid about premature aging...
Anyways, I'm going to try and blend without the UD PP as a base... Does anyone know of any eyeshadow primers that still allow you to blend without creasing?

jenii

When you use UDPP, it's a good idea to do a wash of color all over the eye (I'll usually use Brule or Provence), and THEN do whatever other colors you'd planned to do. The base e/s makes it much easier to blend the other colors.