Blush Applied on cheekbones opposed to apples?

metalkitty

Hi, everyone. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on this application technique with blush when you apply it to your upper cheekbones, below your eyes... I believe this technique is/ was popular in some Asian countries. If you ever watch anime you'll notice when someone blushes, its located in the same area. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on applying blush in this style, including what kind of brush I should use?

BlahWah

When my sis and I went to MAC for our makeovers, we had different MA's and each gave different advice. Hers said not necessarily apples, focus on the cheekbones whereas my MA said the opposite.

I think it depends on your bone structure or the look you're going for - my sis has a rounder face than mine, so the MA may have been trying to create more structure by concentrating on the cheekbones. I've noticed the MAC looks (available for perusal in the Specktra gallery under Member's Albums -->MACLOOKS) don't have one way of applying blush. Maybe take a look there to get ideas. I'll be doing that more often when I have more free time! HTH!

lara

You need the right bone structure to pull this off well - your cheekbones need to be high, rather than prominent.

Also, be careful as you're getting dangerously close to 'eighties blush power-stripe' territory here.

metalkitty

Hmm, thankyou thankyou, ladies! I have the small contour brush, I've seen people wear this very well, I guess I just need to play with it.

tepi_telfast

On every makeover I've had (MAC, Laura Mercier, Nars etc) all the MAs told me to apply it right on the highest point of my cheekbones... I never knew this could be a 'dangerous' look. Maybe I have high cheekbones. Hmmm.... interesting...

mspixieears

I can't do the blush on apples at all, it just looks plain weird. I thought something was wrong as so many MAs say that's where you have to put it, but yes, I believe it has something to do with one's bone structure. I pretty much always apply my blush on the cheekbones, otherwise I'd look like a Kewpie doll!

metalkitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspixieears
I can't do the blush on apples at all, it just looks plain weird. I thought something was wrong as so many MAs say that's where you have to put it, but yes, I believe it has something to do with one's bone structure. I pretty much always apply my blush on the cheekbones, otherwise I'd look like a Kewpie doll!

Hey, could you elaborate on how you do this without looking weird?

KJam

I think it depends a lot on your face shape and what you are looking for.

I have a round face - I contour the cheekbones and add some to the apples of my cheeks. I then highlight the tops of my cheekbones

For a client with a narrow face and more prominent cheekbones, I will focus on the apples and highlighting.

What you're hoping for is to give the face a more 3-D finish. What that means varies on the face.

user79

I used to always apply on the apples of my cheeks, but now I almost always apply to the bone area. It looks a bit more high fashion, I think. The best way to do it is to use the flat side of the brush bristles, not the rounded part, if that makes sense. You can also buy a special blush brush that has a slanted edge but I find it's not necessary with a light hand. Just apply the brush to the bones and blend up towards your hairline.