Box or Salon?

Mindy!

I am dying my hair auburn red, and Iam debating if I should go to the salon or just do it at home. Right now I have blond highlights in my hair, so it's going to need to be redone about every 4 weeks so cost wise I am thinking of just doing at home. But my sister swears that it will look ten times better if I go to the salon.

So wich would you do?

Rosalie1915

I would do the salon and get a really good shampoo that says" Sulfate free"( I would suggest Ever pure) it keeps your color forever!! My friend had blonde hair and wanted to go red and went to CVS and got the color she wanted and it turned out streaky and she claimed it washed out super fast! Salon may cost more but your hair will reap the good results!!

TISH1124

If you can afford the Salon and have a choice I would always choose the salon....If the salon is not in your budget then I would go for the box

Mabelle

As a long time bottle redhead, i must say salon.
1. salon quality dye is better. ESPECIALLY for red!! it will last a lot longer on your hair!
2. reds can be weird. especially for the first time. Go to an expirienced colourist, she can cover your blond highlights propery without them going some funky colour on you.

When i went ginger again, i went to a salon to have the initial colouring done, because my hair needed to be stripped and was a hot mess. The colourist was able to find a great shade for me. I went there once after for a touch up, and then found a place that sold quality professional dye. I got the SA to colour match me and have been using that every since.
Either way, try to use a "professional dye". it honestly makes a HUGE diffrence when it comes to reds.

tyger

For red, especially over highlighted blonde, I have to say salon without a doubt. When I went red over my platinum highlights I can't even imagine how awkward and streaky it would have been if I had just grabbed a box from the drugstore. Though for red I am all for at home touching up to deal with fading and then salon for roots every once in a while. I don't even want to think about how much I would have spent if I went to my colourist as often as I touched up at home with whatever it was she recommended, which completely escapes me at the moment

kariii

I buy the professional dye from sally's and mix it with developer on my own. I find the quality of dye is the same and also you spend way less money this way. Just get a friend to make sure the dye is applied evenly all over your hair however if you're able to afford salon, i'd deff go to one especially if you're a beginner at hair dying.

InspiredBlue

Like Tish said - if you have the option of going to the salon, you should. I colored my hair at home, but that's because I'm cheap. Plus I have completely unprocessed hair. Since you have those highlights, I imagine there are some things that could go wrong if you add another color on top of it.