Boycott Forever21?

jackieheartsyou

Check this link out!

Excerpt:
Quote:
Online, particularly on “what I’m wearing” type blogs there is a preponderance of fashion loving ladies sporting their Forever 21 gear. It seems young fashion savvy shoppers online and off are continuing to favor our nemesis, Forever 21. It is so hard, when we see a blogger, coworker, or friend bragging about their latest Forever 21 deal, to keep from screaming; “Do you have any idea who or what you are supporting?”

Personally, I have avoided F21 since I was in middle school. I do know TONS of people shop there so I just wanted to know what your opinion is?

Mabelle

thats disgusting. I dont know what i find more disturbing; the sweatshops, or the evangelical ties. I've never shopped there before, and this will surely keep me out of their doors. I have a pretty big mouth, so now that they're on my shit list, everyone i know will hear about this.

jackieheartsyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabelle
thats disgusting. I dont know what i find more disturbing; the sweatshops, or the evangelical ties. I've never shopped there before, and this will surely keep me out of their doors. I have a pretty big mouth, so now that they're on my shit list, everyone i know will hear about this.

I know what you mean, I was a little taken aback as well. There's actually a documentary, it's here MADE IN LA

and there's this great quote on their site as well:

It is very easy to say “Oh yeah, it may be cheap labor but I can’t afford anything better” and thereby distancing yourself from the issue at hand but watching this documentary and seeing the faces behind your garments should open everyone’s eyes.

Mabelle

Same thing with most cruel industries.... meat, fur, animal testing, any kind of sweatshop labour, palm oil industry. Thats why these docs arent super popular. Ignorance is bliss right? I prefer to know what i'm supporting with my dollar, unpleasent as the truth may be... My friends always say that after i talk to them they can't buy anything with good consience... but i think its better that they make an informed discision.
Like today i was telling them about the abuse of animals in entertainment ie film, tv, circus etc. It's appaling.... but now they know. I'm sure they would have never watched the docs that i have seen... We just need to keep talking about this kind of stuff and open the lines of communication.

Avozilla

Quote:
today i was telling them about the abuse of animals in entertainment ie film, tv, circus etc.

Yeah, I've known about the circus for a while. I saw someone "training" the elephants with a rod, wire, and a fishing hook. I cried when the poor babies were crying out. No wonder circus elephants go on rampages. I would too.

k.a.t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avozilla
Yeah, I've known about the circus for a while. I saw someone "training" the elephants with a rod, wire, and a fishing hook. I cried when the poor babies were crying out. No wonder circus elephants go on rampages. I would too.

Omg...wth is wrong with some people?!
ssad.gif

Simply Elegant

I stay away from stores like that. There's always a reason stuff is priced close to dirt cheap. Straying from the morality issue, wouldn't you want to pay more for something that lasts longer and made by someone who earned a fairer wage?

reesesilverstar

It's so sad that exploitation is everywhere... From electronics, to clothes and running gear, to jewelry. Bottom line is that companies want profit and we're a consumerist society.

Caderas

I'm not religious myself, but I find it hysterical that they are doing the sweat-shop labor and yet imprinted in the bottom of their bags are 'John 3:16', an excerpt from the Bible of all things. I don't know if they tell their slaves this passage to help them keep going or what the deal is.

I hate how people think they are so fashionable all off wearing pieces that everyone else is spending their 2 cents on. It's not your shirt, it's yours, and everyone elses.

Dahlia_Rayn

Quote:
Same thing with most cruel industries.... meat, fur, animal testing, any kind of sweatshop labour, palm oil industry. Thats why these docs arent super popular. Ignorance is bliss right? I prefer to know what i'm supporting with my dollar, unpleasent as the truth may be... My friends always say that after i talk to them they can't buy anything with good consience... but i think its better that they make an informed discision.
Like today i was telling them about the abuse of animals in entertainment ie film, tv, circus etc. It's appaling.... but now they know. I'm sure they would have never watched the docs that i have seen... We just need to keep talking about this kind of stuff and open the lines of communication.

I agree that it's important to be a well informed consumer as well, which means realizing that some of the documentaries that are made are going to be skewed in the favor of the camp that is making them. Editorial pieces are just that: editorialized. For example, in Oregon there is a primate research center. It is strictly a medical research facility. Now, I'm neither condoning, nor promoting this facility. However, you should be aware that medical research is strictly monitored by the federal government, especially when animals are involved. An animal rights group sent in an undercover group of volunteers to infiltrate and capture animal abuse on camera. When there was no animal abuse to be found they created abuse to film, by shocking the monkeys with cattle prods and other such types of abuse. This led to a federal and well publicized investigation of the facility. I know that animal research is not what this document is about , but I am just putting this out there as an example of how something can be skewed.

Edited to add: The facility that was investigated was found to be 100% in compliance with federal regulation with no abuse happening by any staff member whatsoever.

S.S.BlackOrchid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avozilla

Yeah, I will never go to a circus. Where I grew up, (Kerala, India), I've seen people train elephants without harming them, and it is so much easier to get a well behaved elephant if it's raised by it's herd because they are such social creatures. I wish people would understand this.

kimmy

not everything you see in a documentary or printed in a blog is true. keep that in mind.

lilMAClady

I watched the documentary PBS aired in 2008...not sure of the date. I avoided them for awhile but I do shop there occasionally. Truth of the matter is if you avoided everything that was wrong and offensive you would have to live on your own island and grow your own everything. Corruption goes so much deeper than any of us could ever know and its impossible to avoid. I still think its wrong and I pray for it all to be made right.

Honey xOo

i hate all of those mall stores that are full of cheap clothing/accessories. i'd rather spend $50 on one top then buy 5 cheaply made tops at stores like this. i never know what to believe online anymore. it's just full of so much negativity towards anything popular.

kimmy

just because guess charges you ten times what forever twenty-one does doesn't necessarily mean their business practices are any less sketchy. i think lilmaclady said it best.

Simply Elegant

^Very true, it's just that the most cheaply priced items are more likely to involve child labour than something with a higher pricetag although that alone oviously doesn't mean it was produced ethically.

astronaut

Forever 21 even treats their customers like absolute shit so it comes as no surprise that they treat their employees bad too. They are always getting sued for copying designs. They are just a shady company all around.