BPAL (Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab) discussion

cheetahpita

nah, I'm not into Weenies (blasphemy, I know!) - the apple/spice/fall leaves/hay/pumpkin doesn't really do it for me... now Yules, on the other hand, is what I save up for every year
amuse.gif

MAChostage

I also didn't order any Weenies. I haven't placed an order in a minute, so I need to browse the site again. You know, I find that the majority of my scents are the heavier, more heady ones that are more "appropriate" (if there is such a thing) for the cooler months. And seeing as how I don't have an awful lot of cool weather down this way, I probably need to expand my personal BPAL catalog. I just love Red Musk and Amber, though, so I tend to gravitate towards scents containing those notes.

I'm off to look at the site...

ETA: Ok, Babypopje, you got me all fired up and I went over there to see what I'd missed by way of the Weenies, and HYGEIA caught my eye. So I ordered it! How could I not (red musk and red amber, sweet incense, Mysore sandalwood, tobacco absolute, golden musk, orris root, frankincense and helichrysum). *And* it's got sweet incense and golden musk, aaaahhhh! I was doomed from the start!
eyelove.gif

Do tell what you ordered, Babypopje!

laylalovesmac

I also didn't order any Weenies. I haven't placed an order in a minute, so I need to browse the site again. You know, I find that the majority of my scents are the heavier, more heady ones that are more "appropriate" (if there is such a thing) for the cooler months. And seeing as how I don't have an awful lot of cool weather down this way, I probably need to expand my personal BPAL catalog. I just love Red Musk and Amber, though, so I tend to gravitate towards scents containing those notes.

I'm off to look at the site...

ETA: Ok, Babypopje, you got me all fired up and I went over there to see what I'd missed by way of the Weenies, and HYGEIA caught my eye. So I ordered it! How could I not (red musk and red amber, sweet incense, Mysore sandalwood, tobacco absolute, golden musk, orris root, frankincense and helichrysum). *And* it's got sweet incense and golden musk, aaaahhhh! I was doomed from the start!
eyelove.gif

Do tell what you ordered, Babypopje!
Ooooh! Enjoy! I'll want to hear how awesome it is. :D I, personally, like heavier scents, too, so.... I'll be stalking this thread like you stalk your email for a CnS!! :p

ETA: Oh- and did anyone order the #occupywallstreet scent? I ordered a bottle for myself and my witch said she ordered one for me too.... ;) I'm STOKED! PATCHOULI!!!! (absolute favorite note evar!!)

MAChostage

How did I miss this one?? Back to the site to check that out...

ETA: Oh- and did anyone order the #occupywallstreet scent? I ordered a bottle for myself and my witch said she ordered one for me too.... ;) I'm STOKED! PATCHOULI!!!! (absolute favorite note evar!!)

MAChostage

^^ Ahhh, yeah, laylalovesmac, I saw it! I'm skeered of patchouli, however. It's so hit or miss with me. Usually it's way too overwhelming for my tastes. Let us know what you really think of it when you get it, though. And I love that they're feeding the protesters with proceeds.

laylalovesmac

^^ Ahhh, yeah, laylalovesmac, I saw it! I'm skeered of patchouli, however. It's so hit or miss with me. Usually it's way too overwhelming for my tastes. Let us know what you really think of it when you get it, though. And I love that they're feeding the protesters with proceeds.

I will definitely let you know, but I'm gonna love it! I love any and all patchouli blends - no discrimination here. XD

laylalovesmac

Double post (I know, I know), but I'm bumping this because I got my Weenie decants in today! I'm still a bit sick so my nose isn't perfect at the moment, but I thought I'd just let everyone (the few BPAL addicts there seem to be here :p) know my thoughts on the scents I tried.

You'll excuse the long post.... I went Weenie crazy this year. XD

Things I Got Bottles Of:

Samhain 2011 - This is just a nice autumn patchouli blend. Honestly, I'm a bit meh on it and might end up swapping/selling eventually, but I really wanted to try it so I don't regret it. It's nice, but definitely not the stand out to me.

Nothing but Death - One of the few florals that has worked on me thusfar. I bought this for sentimental reasons so I didn't really care how it smelled anyway, but it's a nice, deep, dark violet with a base of subtle tobacco and a gorgeous dirt/fruit mixture. I totally LOVE this one! If I had the money, I'd order a backup in a heartbeat. Of course, a backup is a last priority since there are so many other bottles I now want need.

Halloween: Las Vegas (bpal forum exclusive) - This is just straight-up boozy, delicious, warm wonderfulness! SO sweet and SO good! I totally love this one. It almost smells like a sweet, moist strawberry cake to me sometimes, but overall, just a really nice blend.

Things I Now Want NEED Bottles Of:

The Black Apple of Saturn - Smells a bit like Undertow to me, but has a hint more black/pink to it if that makes any sense. I find it to be a lovely apple scent. I really like this one.

Regina Erebi - This smells like a wonderfully mixed cocktail. The pomegranate and mulberry compliment each other quite well and the mint is a perfect touch of crispness that the blend is otherwise lacking. Totally adore this one!

Autumn Cider - Okay- this is THE SHIT. I love it. Warm and apple-y and autumn-y and a bit boozy but mostly just yummy and comforting and warm. I will definitely be trying to get a bottle of this!

Ghosts in Love - I really love this as a fresher scent for me. I don't really know how to describe it, but I imagine it would be a great unisex scent (that's actually why I want a bottle). It's a bit creepy and cold but very well blended and nice at the same time. Really like this one.

The Vampire Bride - Keep in mind that my nose is broken for the time being, but this smelled like Ghosts in Love but with a touch of sweetness that GiL doesn't have. Will also be trying to get a bottle of this one! It's awesome.

Things I'm Meh On:

Nightmare - I love sweet blends so this is nice. It's fruity but has a sophisticated note that is usually lacking in fruity blends. I may try to get a bottle later on, but it's not urgent like my other wants.

Mictecacihuatl 2011 - This is actually the first herbal-y blend I like. It's sweet and kind of sophisticated. I'm sure it would be like past incarnations, but this is my first time trying it! I like it, but I definitely don't need a bottle.

Things I Can Pass Easily:

Sonnet D'Automne - I think it's the dry leaves that turned me off (October was HORRENDOUS on me) but this is just too sharp for me and my skin.

I'm honestly kind of pissed off. These will only be up until November 13th and I will DEFINITELY not have enough for even one of the bottles I want until the end of November. :( I'll figure something out, I'm sure, but ugh. I know BPAL isn't everything (I actually had trouble typing that :p), but this blows. This year's Weenie update was AMAZING!! There a billion more I want to try, but I know that if I do, they'll just end up on a long wishlist. XD

So, those are my thoughts on the blends I got. Sorry it's not more helpful- I'm still an amateur at BPAL and perfume in general and I have trouble describing how things smell. If I like it, I like it; if I don't, I don't.

MAChostage

I really appreciate your review, laylalovesmac! I'm tempted to try some other things, but I HATE when I get something and then don't like it. Based on the description, I just knew that I'd love The Dodo. Well, it's been sitting *untouched* with my other scents since I got it. I just hate it!

cheetahpita

Thanks for the review, layla! I'm sure there will be people selling bottles/decants on the forum later, if you don't have the money now... that's how I usually buy decants anyway. Faster gratification that way :p

laylalovesmac

Thanks for the review, layla! I'm sure there will be people selling bottles/decants on the forum later, if you don't have the money now... that's how I usually buy decants anyway. Faster gratification that way :p
True, true. But I need bottles!! *crosses eyes like a crazy person* I'll work something out, I'm sure.

MAChostage

Somebody describe decants to me. Are they just that, transferred from the original bottle to another? If so, what's the purpose?

laylalovesmac

Somebody describe decants to me. Are they just that, transferred from the original bottle to another? If so, what's the purpose?
I'm totally just spamming this thread now. XD

Decants are essentially imps of scents that cannot be in imps. Limited editions, special series, etc. And people take samples from their bottles and put them in imp vials and that's a decant!

MAChostage

Thank you *so* much for that! Now I can think of 100 decants I want! What's the best source for finding/getting them?

I'm totally just spamming this thread now. XD

Decants are essentially imps of scents that cannot be in imps. Limited editions, special series, etc. And people take samples from their bottles and put them in imp vials and that's a decant!

laylalovesmac

Thank you *so* much for that! Now I can think of 100 decants I want! What's the best source for finding/getting them?
You a member of bpal.org? There's a sale/swap section there (essentially like the Clearance Bin here) where a lot of people sell off/swap imps, decants, partials, or bottles that didn't work for them. That's the best way I've found. You're likely to find what you want there, depending on how LE it was. ;)

Glad I could help!!

MAChostage

I'm glad you mentioned bpal.org, I'd forgotten all about it! I have never really frequented the board but I'm going to make a concerted effort to start. Spent a good amount of time there today and scored decants of all the new apple scents, along with a bottle of The Green Apple of Venus. Sure hope I like it. I've been jonesing for an apple scent.

You a member of bpal.org? There's a sale/swap section there (essentially like the Clearance Bin here) where a lot of people sell off/swap imps, decants, partials, or bottles that didn't work for them. That's the best way I've found. You're likely to find what you want there, depending on how LE it was. ;)

Glad I could help!!

laylalovesmac

I'm glad you mentioned bpal.org, I'd forgotten all about it! I have never really frequented the board but I'm going to make a concerted effort to start. Spent a good amount of time there today and scored decants of all the new apple scents, along with a bottle of The Green Apple of Venus. Sure hope I like it. I've been jonesing for an apple scent.
Oooh- excellent! Did you post in the 'What do you have bottles of?' thread? I think I friended you. XD

MAChostage

Well, this sucks.

I ordered some imps from a BPAL user and ended up paying her more than I should have, and now she hasn't responded to any of my messages. Silly me, I just realized that the total she quoted me for my imps was incorrect to begin with ($ per imp X 4 imps + $ for shipping did not add up/was more than it should have been). In my excitement I fired off my payment, she's received it and the transaction is now complete. I'd sent her a message right after I payed asking her to confirm that she'd received payment, and then another this morning when I realized the payment amount snafu. Although she's logged in several times since I sent her the first message, she has failed to respond to them. I feel like I'm being blown off and it's pissing me off. I have already talked to Paypal about the issue and plan on giving it a few more days, particularly to see if she even sends me my imps. If I see that she's still logging in to BPAL and is obviously ignoring my messages, then I plan to open a proper Paypal dispute. I could kick myself.

Latest posts