bright blue dress - makeup recs???

zzoester

Hey, everyone! Thanks in advance for your help.....I just bought a couple new cocktail dresses - one is bright blue and the second one is black. I'm taking a vacation with my husband for our one year anniversary next month. We have at lest 2 major formal dinners planned.

I am planning on wearing the bright blue dress to French Laundry (restaurant), which is really formal. Here's a link to the dress at macys, but keep in mind the blue in this picture looks more subtle than it actually is...in person it's a lot more BRIGHT, but you get the idea. It reminds me of deep, bright indigo from the rainbow:

JONES NEW YORK DRESS Sleeveless Twist-Waist Dress - Dresses - Women's - Macy's

Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to post a pic.

I have super dark brown/black long hair and I'm currently NC25 SFF, if this help. I am not sure how to do my makeup (specifically, my EYES!) - any recs???

I'm wearing black patent Valentino stilettos and a black wrap with velvet/burnout pattern.

So, what do you think?
yes.gif

RoseyPosey

first off that is a gorgeous dress!

second, a smokey eye would be great and they are realllllly easy.

all i do it put down a black base (you could use a black eyeliner) and smudge it up, then take a dark shadow or black, and pat it on close to the lash line and blend it up, then highlight. simple easy.

zzoester

Thanks!

I love a dark, black smokey eye.....any suggestions on a little pop of color I could add to it? I could do my standard electra/black tied but I wonder if I should add a little blue? Or would that be overkill?? I'm getting into COLOR more so I get excited about that since throughout my entire makeup/MAC addiction I have been relatively neutral.
smiles.gif

When I see my dress, all I can think of is the left side of the Kat Von D beethoven palette I want to own but haven't got around to purchasing yet! lol

So, is matchy-matchy ever a good thing?

zzoester

^btw, I'm just warning you that your responses here WILL lead to me running out and buying something new....I'm looking for you to justify my next purchase, I guess! lol

hhunt2

What about a pinup-ish look, but more elegant. Winged eyeliner on top of a neutral eye (matte colors? and some definition in the crease) with white eyeliner on the waterline. No bold red lips, but more of a lighter red or even a light pink.

B/c the dress is such a vibrant blue, I wouldnt want your eyes to pop while your dress is also catching attention (yea know, too much is everywhere).

hawaii02

My first thought would be a gray smokey eye and a lipstick like Up the Amp. Your dress is such a pretty blue!

Curly1908

I'd love to see a bold, blue dress paired with a sophisticated bun, neutral eyeshadow with dramatic eyeliner, matte face/no blush, and a bold red lip!