brown hair dye problem

MACmermaid

hi everyone!

i was just wondering if anyone else has ever had problems getting their hair dyed to just a neutral brown shade (as in no red/orange/warm undertones). after years of highlighting (from this guy who i now know was not very good), my hair ended up too blonde so my new hairdresser tried to get it back to my natural color (which is a neutral shade of brown, maybe a hint of gold if anything). well, no matter what she has tried i end up with this orange-ish brown shade which i HATE. it's just not flattering to my skintone. she's tried doing neutral brown, ash brown (w/ a shot of blue in it to combat the orange), and it is still very orange-y. i've gone back so many times i'm beginning to think it's either her (she's talented though so i don't think it's her) or more likely the products they use there. maybe they are just not agreeing w/ my hair? i really don't get why a neutral brown is turning out to be mission impossible for me
ssad.gif

at any rate, i think i'm at the point where i might need to consult someone else (i hate to do this though b/c we've sort of become friends and i still want her to cut my hair). but i just want to get it to a neutral brown close to my natural color so i can stop dyeing it eventually and just get back to my natural color. for whatever reason i just don't think she can give me what i want.

anyone else ever have this problem? is there some way to just get a boring, neutral shade of brown? thanks guys!

bluegrassbabe

Based on my oranged-haired experiences, I would guess that the developer she is using is too stronge. That is what has happened the majority of the times that I've had to get the color redone.
I would try a different salon at this point. i had to switch to a different colorist after the place I was going to changed the brand they were using. When they went to the new color, I kept getting brassy and flat color everytime.

heenx0x0

Have they tried stripping your hair and then coloring it? I've had a lot of problems with my hair color too over the past few years. After 7 years of coloring a lot and bleaching (a handful of times) my hair won't "hold" color like it used to. It just keeps coming out every time I wash it, just like it would with a non permanente color that lasts x amount of washes. Only it was permanente color! Now my hair always goes back to the dreaded reddish brown. The last time I even dyed it black and it after a couple months it was right back at reddish golden brown. I've now decided to to just let it grow out. It's working pretty well for me. My roots keep coming back in dark brown but the lighter color actually blends really well with it. The more I let it grow the more I love the fact that I don't color my hair anymore. You should definately go somewhere new to see if they can get it done right. And the friend doing your hair should understand that you don't want to keep dying it if your not going to get the color you desire. Good luck!!

first off i like to clarify that permante color should only be used on your hair if you are going lighter than your natural. permante and non (semi)permante color will hold the same in hair. with permante it has ammonia to lift your cuticle, use it to much your cuticle will not seal and the color will come out. so if you are coloring your hair a neutral brown that is the same level as your hair naturally, you should be using a semi-permante, no need to lift the cuticle to remove your color. if you are having problems with the orange you should probably go 1-2 levels darker than your natural with the blue to cut through the warmth.

~Saphire

Pink_minx

I had this problem before, I love the dark brown shades and I tried to color my hair like a chocolate brown color but in a month or 2 it fades out and my hair turns all orangy and light brown. Then I started to use John Freida brilliant brunette shampoos and conditioners, for some reason it made my hair color turn darker, and also John Freida has a new line called Illuminating color glaze. Its not a permanent hair color, but it does make your hair darker and richer, I looked into some info about how long it lasts and it says about 2-4 weeks. It really works so you can give it a try if you want. But thats the best advice I can give ya.
smiles.gif

DaisyDee

You need to go to Sally's beauty supply and get a "filler" -- ask the ladies there where it is and which color to use. It'll will help hold your new dark color without all that fading.

Latest posts