browns that don't make me look tired?

Dani California

Hi guys,

Am after a bit of advice, I like brown eyeshadows but have found lately that a lot I've tried are making me look really tired. I dunno what it is, but I'd like to find some that are more suitable for me? I'm really pale with bluey/greeny eyes and brown hair.

Any recs for me? I'm not sure what to try help!
greengrin.gif
Any brand will do, be it MAC or whatever! Thanks guys
specktra_rocks.gif

MizzVivaGlam

Maybe more of a beigey softer brown like All That Glitters for your lid and go darker brown for your crease with Satin Taupe. Try using a sparkley pale gold shadow like Nylon in your innercorners and as a highlight whenever you wear browns, that should help brighten up your whole face.
smiles.gif

Dani California

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzVivaGlam
Maybe more of a beigey softer brown like All That Glitters for your lid and go darker brown for your crease with Satin Taupe. Try using a sparkley pale gold shadow like Nylon in your innercorners and as a highlight whenever you wear browns, that should help brighten up your whole face.
smiles.gif

Thank you! I actually have All that glitters, its one of my fave shadows.
greengrin.gif

I shall try that look with satin taupe in the crease and a highlighter on the corner and browbone!
thmbup.gif

RedRibbon

I was going to suggest Illegal by Urban Decay which claims to be a rosey colour but it comes out quite browny on me but you have really light skin compared to me so it might make you look tired.

I uploaded some swatches onto the UD swatch thread so check it out
smiles.gif

The Sleek Original palette has a nice browny colour in it which is great on all skin colours, from memory, it's the second on in on the bottom right hand side I think.

Dani California

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzVivaGlam
smiles.gif

Thank you! I actually have All that glitters, its one of my fave shadows.
greengrin.gif

I shall try that look with satin taupe in the crease and a highlighter on the corner and browbone!
thmbup.gif

nickyc

I wear Satin Taupe as a wash on my lid and love it. Or I put it on my lid with carbon in the outer V. Not very orginal, but it works. Stila Go Lightly is pretty too but it's more bronzy.

Also you could try a white or flesh colored pencil in your inner rim.

Temptasia

the key to wearing colors is to correctly highlight and define the eyes...when these elements are off...adding colors weighs the eyes down

i would like to suggest NARS Cordura eyeshadow duo and highlight with a champagne shadow like Stila's Kitten on the browbone or if you prefer matte, MAC's Vanilla e/s

iluvmac

Just stay away from all the reddish browns (I personally love them, but I think they're not suitable for you, from your description). Try Cork, a light, neutral brown, very versatile.

..kels*

"if the eyes look tired or bloodshot, avoid using colours such as grays, taupes, warm browns, and purples. to alleviate tiredness, you can use cool colors."

as much as i LOVE satin taupe, i've noticed that it makes me look seriously tired!! i would try cool, matte/satin browns... cork, espresso, brun.. maybee wedge but that's leaning towards the taupe side of things.

makeupmakeup

mac_addict.gif

Iam not as light as you, and i have the same problem. I find if i use a shimmery nude or a shimmery off white on my lid first and then use browns on the outer 2/3 of my lid, in my crease, and my outer v. It really makes a difference. If that's too much shimmer for you, just apply a small amount at your inner tear ducts it really wakes up your eyes. It also helps if you keep the darker browns at the outer corners. the lightest shade should be on the inner lid, the colors should get darker as you go out towards your outer corner.​

Dani California

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmac
Just stay away from all the reddish browns (I personally love them, but I think they're not suitable for you, from your description). Try Cork, a light, neutral brown, very versatile.

I think you may have hit the nail right on the head there about staying away from the reddy browns
greengrin.gif
As a little experiment last night, I first put on woodwinked, which is more gold but still in that warm brown catergory and one of the ones making me look tired. Then I took it off and put on Satin Taupe, which I think is too dark for me, but wow, what a difference it made to me, my eyes really stood out and sparkled!! It must be that cool taupey brown!!
th_DANCE.gif

Now I need something like satin taupe but lighter lol
lol.gif

Somebody write me a list of browns to stay away from!! Also what about amber lights? I like the look of it but have never bought it for fear of the dreaded tired eyes effect!

Dani California

Quote:
Originally Posted by ..kels*
"if the eyes look tired or bloodshot, avoid using colours such as grays, taupes, warm browns, and purples. to alleviate tiredness, you can use cool colors."

as much as i LOVE satin taupe, i've noticed that it makes me look seriously tired!! i would try cool, matte/satin browns... cork, espresso, brun.. maybee wedge but that's leaning towards the taupe side of things.

Spot on!! I was just saying I've rediscovered my love for satin taupe i.e a much cooler brown, and am in need of something like it but lighter for everyday wear!!

I need to have a little list of whats warm browns and cool browns....so I don't get confused when I'm in there
lol.gif