Can anyone recommend any good books to check out?

widdershins

You definitely need to check out some books by Charlaine Harris. I think the first one is called Dead Until Dark. This is one of my favorite vampire series EVER. You won't be disappointed. Another really good series about werewolves, vampires, etc is the Mercy series by Patricia Briggs. Another of my favorites.

ETA: I just thought of another good series! The Rachel Morgan series by Kim Harrison. The first one is called Dead Witch Walking.

Mabelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by timepiece
Rant is one of the best books he's written, in my opinion. Definitely worth checking out.

Really? I just couldn't get into rant. I loved the frist part about his childhood, but after that... it just lost me. I've been working on it since the begining of june and i'm getting nowhere.
I'm going to see if i can get snuff though. i wonder if thats any good.

concertina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le-Saboteur
For Fantasy, George R R Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series is my favourite. It's quite adult, and not particularly light hearted (overall, that is, there are a lot of funny moments), so if you're after an easy read it's probably not what you're looking for. I still find myself devouring it on my fourth re-read of the series so far, however. He's written book 4/7 so far, with number 5 due out sometime 'soon'. Even though it's not finished, it's still an amazing read. But, yeah, like I said, very adult. Magic and such takes the backburner to political intrigue, court posturing and the war for the throne. Ooooh, it's so good :p

I second this!! GRRM FTW!!

Also, anything by Erica Jong is always a fun, sexy read. Middlesex is pretty heavy, but good. The Mists of Avalon is stunning.

Annie Rice does vampires *right*, of course. Her Mayfair witches series is pretty bad-ass, too. And then Lauren Hamilton has her Anita Blake series (vampire hunter) and the Meredith Gentry (Fey/Faerie crossing with modern time) series. All pretty good, steamy stuff.

concertina

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrelOfDonkeys
I wanna read that next. So far I've read Fight Club, Choke and Haunted and right now I'm reading Invisible Monsters. I love his style of writing, he goes into a lot of detail but at the same time manages to get the point across quickly without letting any one particular plot point drag on for too long.

You should absolutely read "Diary: A Novel" next. Soooooooo played with my head.

Sanayhs

If you like mystery and scandal, I have to say I adore "Lady Audley's Secret" by Mary Elizabeth Braddon. It was written in 1862, and is considered to be sensation fiction. Definitely not the typical content you'd expect a woman in the 1860s to get published.

There's actually a lot of fantastic older fiction out there, and part of the trick is getting your head around the language (if it's old enough). I findd 'classic' fiction to be often worth reading, as there's usually a reason it has stuck around.

as_cute_as_pie

Don't think these would be up your street but may of interest to someone. I like the babylon series by Imogen Edward-Jones. Fair enought ive only read 2 lol (Air Babylon and Fashion Babylon) Fashion Babylon was my favourite out of the 2, both easy to read and you can learn some interesting facts at the same time
smiles.gif

Quick Synopsis
Fashion Babylon- Follows the life of a fictional designer for 6 months going in all the ins and outs of the fashion world, mixed in is mini stories about designers and scandals about models apparently all true but only the names have been changed.

Air Babylon- Follows the life of a fictional airline manager in a fictional airport (though probably highly based on somewhere like Heathrow) again it goes through all the ins and outs of the airline business from being on the ground checking in to actually being on the plane. includes some funny stories along the way
smiles.gif

revinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabelle
Really? I just couldn't get into rant. I loved the frist part about his childhood, but after that... it just lost me. I've been working on it since the begining of june and i'm getting nowhere.
I'm going to see if i can get snuff though. i wonder if thats any good.

Snuff is .... eh, just ok. Not one of my favorites by him, but still interesting. Rant is my FAVORITE, then Lullaby, Invisible Monsters, Diary, then Fight Club & Snuff. He is so incredible, it blows my mind. I actually got a tattoo of the cover art from Lullaby recently!! House of Leaves is an amazing book if you like Chuck's style, it's by Mark Z. Danielewski. Trippy stuff.

mtrimier

A few books I finished recently that I enjoyed were:

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow
Uglies/Pretties/Specials series by Scott Westerfield
Heart Shaped Box and 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill
The Resurrectionist by Jack O'Connell
The Stories of Breece D'J Pancake by Breece D'J Pancake

I read so many books, it's hard to give their plots justice without filling up your post, so I just gave titles and authors.

stellarx1587

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarV217
If you Like Vampires Look into

The Historian It's soo good

I actually have that book! I forgot that I bought it a while back... haha well at least I already have it... I'll be sure to read it.

stellarx1587

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyttleravyn
I'm also reading George Orwell's "1984" (probably a book I should have read in school at some point, but I don't remember reading it) that I'm enjoying also.

1984 is such a good book!!!! Probably the best required reading I was ever given when I was in High School... that and The Color Purple!

k.a.t

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarx1587
Ooohh thanks for the rec!! I looked it up and its in stock at my bookstore! It sounds really interesting!! I'm going to add that title to my list!! Thanks again!

No prob! lemme know if you actually find them...or end up reading them lol
tong.gif

user79

I'm almost done with "Escape" by Carolyn Jessop and I thought it was really good. She is one of those women who was brought up and lived on the FLDS ranch (fundamentalist mormon sect) in Utah and she writes about her life there. She escaped after being married to one of the leaders of the sect for many years, and she manages to get out all her children too. Incredible read, very insightful into this mysterious sect, although rather disturbing as well.

Pushpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahlowryfan
I think its weird because I'm 26 and all but I like reading Teen books. Adult fiction just don't amuse me at all. I like reading the Private book series by Kate Brian and the Clique series by Lisi Harrison.

lol my sis and i were just saying this...i'll be 23 in a few days and shes 26 and we read the twilight series in four days lol but they are so cute

i <# vamp books

so i 2nd the anne rice series when i was younger i wished i lived in lestats world lmao i am such a looooooser
the witching hr series by rice is so good too
the last vampire series by christopher pike is...hahaha man i am such a geek i've read so many vampy books i recognize almost all of them mentioned

my fave author has to be clive barker by far so anything by him is just so twisted

and now onto non vampy/fantasy choices
brave new world by huxley
1984 and animal farm by orwell
gapes of wrath and east of eden by steinbeck
the good earth by pearl buck
the known world by edward jones
birds without wings by louis de bernieres
shake hands with the devil by dallaire
untapped by john ghazvinian

i read tons of poli sci books so not sure the average person would want to get bored with that crap so i won't mention all of my faves but pity the nation and the great war for civilization by robert fisk are just so powerful and just two more te he he reading lolita in theran and zaki chehabs inside hamas

ok so most of the books i mentioned have a little bit of poli sci in them
th_dunno.gif

frocher

For light reading John Irving is always good. A Prayer for Owen Meany, The World According to Garp, The Cider House Rules, etc. He is a gifted story teller.